Thread: Teaching in a Park

Hybrid View

Teaching in a Park

Anyone teaching in a park, home, garage or similar for donations only?

I'm wondering how it works out for you? I've taken Tai Chi in a parking garage for donation. With the economy the way it is how do you avoid having a class full of non-donating students?

Obviously I'm considering doing this (to make a few dollars). I've had neighbor's in the past wanting me to teach their kids. The best I could do now would be very informal class but asking for a donation for my time.

Thoughts?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Back in the 70s and early 80s I taught in a park in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I loved it!

In June I will be heading to China to study with a well-known Mantis instructor. He teaches in a park. Nuff said!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Yes on the park. No fees or donations, but the students do very well in remembering birthdays and xmas.

Mainly, we take payment in sweat and discipline. Pay up or gtfo!

And none of that, "I'm paying, so I'll tell you what I want to learn."

Given the time and energy I put into students, I can't afford to trade so much of my life for such little money. I invest in them only to the degree that they invest in themselves.

Martial arts has taught me to respect and manage energy. The most efficient way to do this is the only take students who have a good heart and who who think differently enough to contribute to my understanding.

The cost of my tuition depends entirely upon the student.

After a trial period I may accept and the amount of money is clearly marked out based on how long they can hold a proper horse stance. 5 minutes of horse stance costs a great deal more than 40 min.

The students I have now are exceptionally high quality. I admire all of them and trust them completely. The ones who left leave me with no regret or resentment.

Rotten wood can't be carved. Its not the wood's fault, the fault is with the carpenter for picking the wrong wood.
    OH MY?!?!?!? Holy Load of malarky........you win!
    Last edited by Snipsky; 03-01-2012 at 10:24 PM.

With the economy the way it is how do you avoid having a class full of non-donating students?
    You could tell them it's based on donations but somehow suggest a range for what you normally expect. This way people who can pay will have a have better idea about the tuition fee and at the same time people who can't afford it will know that they can still discuss their situation with you.

If the teacher has no equipment costs, no supplies costs, no insurance costs, or any other overhead costs to run classes, the classes should be cheap. If some guy is charging you $85 to learn forms in his backyard 2 hours a week, walk away.

$10/month is about the maximum you should kick in for something like that. If he's not going to run classes like a professional teacher, he shouldn't be charging like a professional teacher.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

I'm wondering how it works out for you? I've taken Tai Chi in a parking garage for donation. With the economy the way it is how do you avoid having a class full of non-donating students?

Obviously I'm considering doing this (to make a few dollars). I've had neighbor's in the past wanting me to teach their kids. The best I could do now would be very informal class but asking for a donation for my time.

Thoughts?
    I have a good friend who teaches this way in another town. He teaches every day outdoor no matter if it rains or snows. I dont know how many students he has. But I think the must be around 20 or 30. Some of them a very good.

Ah and he doesnt takes money or any other kind of donations or gifts.

Kind regards,
    Xian

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

Thoughts?
    In my opinion if you're meeting at a park, home, garage 3 times per week for about an hour/hour and a half charge about $50 per month. Don't do donations because if people can get something for free they will and they won't have a tendency to be loyal; not everyone just most.

Some comments have been made about if you're teaching in a situation like this you don't have overhead and should charge next to nothing. This is false. Gas is an overhead expense, vehicle maintenance and upkeep is an overhead, if you supply the training equipment such as hitting/kicking pads, training weapons, grappling mats. Do you still pay for training with an instructor? Overhead expense. And if no to any of this your time is an overhead expense. It's an irreplaceable commodity and should be valued. If you're not doing it for charitable purposes cheap to free training/education probably says something about your services.

If you're an instructor looking to teach but start up capital is limited a garage is a great place to start, many members on here have turned their garages/dens into great training facilities. Spend your money on equipment and marketing. When you've saved up enough and outgrown the garage you can look to sublet space. (If you'd like details on how to sublease contact me through email)

Blog Entries
    In my opinion if you're meeting at a park, home, garage 3 times per week for about an hour/hour and a half charge about $50 per month. Don't do donations because if people can get something for free they will and they won't have a tendency to be loyal; not everyone just most.
    NOW this is something my sifu would say.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Gas is an overhead expense, vehicle maintenance and upkeep is an overhead, if you supply the training equipment such as hitting/kicking pads, training weapons, grappling mats. Do you still pay for training with an instructor?
    Gas and vehicle maintenance? Are you kidding me? If you drive an SUV, do you get to charge more than if you ride a scooter?

And LOL at making other people subsidize your tuition with your own instructor. If you open up classes to the public, it's not the public's responsibility to maintain your lifestyle choices.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

I think a teacher's time and knowledge have value.

I wouldn't expect someone else to give me the benefit of their own hard work in acquiring that knowledge for nothing.

What is fair? It's what the market will bear: what the student feels it is worth it for him to pay and what the teacher is willing to accept for his time.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Gas and vehicle maintenance? Are you kidding me? If you drive an SUV, do you get to charge more than if you ride a scooter?

And LOL at making other people subsidize your tuition with your own instructor. If you open up classes to the public, it's not the public's responsibility to maintain your lifestyle choices.
    My vehicle is a company vehicle, it's only used for the purposes of my business. Therefore it makes it an overhead expense. At my level lessons with my instructors cost triple what it costs a beginning hobbyist/novice. My students can expect that my knowledge will continue to grow and stay on the "cutting edge" as far as martial arts and fitness. They can rely on me to provide a clean, safe environment with any equipment required to help make them successful in achieving their goals.

Maybe you don't share the same viewpoints and that's fine. I am a career martial artist and a business owner. I practice my business with honor, morals and integrity. I set my business up to provide myself and family with a comfortable life and to provide them with opportunities to be happy and successful. I make wise choices to ensure my business doors stay open for the next 30 years.

A karate dojo I'm acquainted with has an interesting way to handle tuition.

Beginners pay a higher rate than the more advanced students and must pay 3 full months in advance. Even if someone drops out after 1 class, they've paid up.

As you advance in rank, the rate gets reduced.

The idea is that the beginners who frequently drop out subsidizes the ones who stick around.

Attention class! I just bought a new F-150, so your tuition is going up $10!