Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching in a Park

The confucian culture in China(as long as it's not overdone) is actually one of the things that has impressed me about this country. In a Chinese family the ranking of each individual and his/her responsibilities towards the other family members is very clear and it helps the unity and the harmony of the family. I have learned a lot about the relationship between people from living in China and it has improved my relationship with my parents and friends a lot. I think the same is true for a kung fu club as these traditions keep the unity of the class and give you a ton of opportunities to meet Kung fu brothers and uncles who would treat you as one of their own and would teach you their experience. Having a huge family like this is not something that can be bought just by money, there are many other factors involved for keeping it this way and occasionally bringing gifts and running errands for the shifu is the least one student can do to show his respect.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 03-04-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Don't be too hard on MK; he makes assumptions and draws conclusions based on his own interpretation of others' statements. It's a character flaw. Some deep-seated, unresolved issues with his parents, I suspect.
    There will always be those who buck traditional etiquette and values in favor of what they perceive as development. Without people like MK there would be nothing to contrast correct behavior against.
    In other words, don't cast your pearls before swine. They don't know the difference between pearls and corn, and you'll just end-up looking the fool.

After all, as an obviously wiser man than any of us once said, "It is what it is".

My money is on CFM either being a product of Shaolin Do or CSC.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries

Just my opinion

As to bringing the occasional gift of food or whatever...heaven forbid you should create a sense of family and community on your school!
    THAT! THAT is what its all about right there!!!!

Sure. some Sifu's can dangle things from the system he or she may know you want to learn. Sure, the Sifu may ask you do something for him or her. BUT i've never ......NOT ONCE in my thirty years of gung fu study known a sifu to say "if you want this or that you MUST pay my bills, feed my family, or do as i tell you". Well, there is one sifu who used to make his students sell AMWAY.....but thats another story.

In my sifu's school, it was never a rule that you HAD to do something for him. People did things for him out of complete respect for him. WE NEVER FELT OBLIGED. we just DID. Many of his students would do things. In fact, my sifu did it for his late sifu and is still doing it for his current Sifu. its called tradition. and i'm quite sure ALL of my classmates aren't Drain Bamaged and can make their own decisions to do it or to deny it.

having a sifu is like having a second father. Those kind of people who just wouldn't do the things mentioned in this thread makes me wonder just how good do you take care of your REAL PARENTS? If they needed something would you shut them out and go find new parents? How dare your parents ask for something, right?

We ALL will have different perspectives, experiences, morals, attitudes and such. this is great because it feels good to be an individual. Yet, to judge someone who will WILLINGLY take care of their sifu, teacher or whatever in a harsh light in MY opinion is TOTALLY WRONG. I don't judge those who WON'T take care of their sifu, thats THEIR choice.

IDK, i just feel that when you ignore tradition, you shut out alot of other things as well. JUST MY OPINION OTOH, I'M SURE THERE ARE SIFU AND PAST SIFU WHO DID THIS INTENTIONALLY TO GULLIBLE NON CHINESE.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfistmonk View Post
    Don't be too hard on MK; he makes assumptions and draws conclusions based on his own interpretation of others' statements. It's a character flaw. Some deep-seated, unresolved issues with his parents, I suspect.
    There will always be those who buck traditional etiquette and values in favor of what they perceive as development. Without people like MK there would be nothing to contrast correct behavior against.
    In other words, don't cast your pearls before swine. They don't know the difference between pearls and corn, and you'll just end-up looking the fool.

After all, as an obviously wiser man than any of us once said, "It is what it is".
    No. He's just being realistic. No need to attack his character because he thinks people shouldn't be taken advantage of.

This isn't China. Guanxi is defined and cultivated differently in the West. We don't place emphasis on formalized gift giving and the Chinese expats teaching in the U.S know this and adjust their expectations of western students accordingly. In China they were expected to do shifu's laundry in fulfillment of 尊师重道 (zun shi zhong dao) but in many cases that shifu was their primary guardian so it was as if caring for a parent. That doesn't make a lot of sense for people who train less than a dozen hours a week.

What happens all to often in the west is some white guy starts calling himself a shifu and demanding gifts and tribute from students in exchange for what is at best questionable material. Not only do they not have any legitimate skills to pass on but they dishonor these cultural observances by employing them as nothing more than a scam with which to demand fealty from gullible, easily impressionable students who are often desperate for an authority figure to mentor them. The Busted Martial Artists thread is filled with examples of the abuse of this relationship.

Judging by the performance of his students and the amount of instruction for the price MK is practically operating a charity.

In the US

one on one or personal trainer is popular

for weight loss

for yoga

for tai cheeze

for kung fu

etc etc.

kool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    In the US, one on one or personal trainer is popular...
    I don't teach one on one. Since I don't teach solo forms, To let my solo student to use me as his throwing dummy, he just doesn't pay me enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    having a sifu is like having a second father. Those kind of people who just wouldn't do the things mentioned in this thread makes me wonder just how good do you take care of your REAL PARENTS? If they needed something would you shut them out and go find new parents? How dare your parents ask for something, right? .
    Adults who come to a Kung Fu class looking for a 2nd dad need to spend less time in horse stance and more time in therapy.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    Adults who come to a Kung Fu class looking for a 2nd dad need to spend less time in horse stance and more time in therapy.
    I have been with my sifu since i was 14 years old dude. I'd hate to see how you treat your father in law. on the real. It makes me wonder how you treat your sifu as well. but thats YOU and not me. You're entitled to your own way of thinking as is everyone else.

I thinks its time you get off the horse.....no ones talking about doing the horse. AT ALL.

you have no REAL DEEP connection or passion for anything huh? if you do, what is THAT passion? ALL martial artist who have teachers have second fathers in them. YOUR teacher raised YOU from your gung fu birth to teaching his system, owning your own place. he is equivalent to your father in that respect. I hope i don't come off as an ungrateful student cause right or wrong my sifu taught me ALOT.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I have been with my sifu since i was 14 years old dude. I'd hate to see how you treat your father in law. on the real. It makes me wonder how you treat your sifu as well. but thats YOU and not me. You're entitled to your own way of thinking as is everyone else.

I thinks its time you get off the horse.....no ones talking about doing the horse. AT ALL.

you have no REAL DEEP connection or passion for anything huh? if you do, what is THAT passion? ALL martial artist who have teachers have second fathers in them. YOUR teacher raised YOU from your gung fu birth to teaching his system, owning your own place. he is equivalent to your father in that respect. I hope i don't come off as an ungrateful student cause right or wrong my sifu taught me ALOT.
    If adults are PAYING you for classes, you aren't their daddy. You don't get to boss them around. You don't get to make them mow your lawn or bake you a chicken.

If you want to foster a familial group and try to preserve some outdated and frankly misinterpreted notion of tradition, then your students shouldn't pay you a dime. They should live in your house and do all your chores and in return you teach them.

Once you open your doors to the public and start charging, even if you're in the park, you should lose all the bullsh1t and just teach people what you are getting paid to teach them.

That doesn't mean you can't like each other, or mutually respect one another. But for Christ's sake drop the pretense and just get on with the business of helping people learn to fight and stay healthy.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-04-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    If adults are PAYING you for classes, you aren't their daddy. You don't get to boss them around. You don't get to make them mow your lawn or bake you a chicken.
    Have you been to this kind of school?

If you want to foster a familial group and try to preserve some outdated and frankly misinterpreted notion of tradition, then your students shouldn't pay you a dime. They should live in your house and do all your chores and in return you teach them.
    Thats your entitled way to think.

Once you open your doors to the public and start charging, even if you're in the park, you should lose all the bullsh1t and just teach people what you are getting paid to teach them.
    I think there's like a cultural difficulty here. I love SF.

That doesn't mean you can't like each other, or mutually respect one another. But for Christ's sake drop the pretense and just get on with the business of helping people learn to fight and stay healthy.
    yeah i feel culture clash for sure.

Well, i can say this much with pretty much 100% confidence, no matter how much you may hate that idea, nothing YOU can do will stop it from happening. so stop being mad at it. If you don't want to follow that tradition....don't. Other will for sure. Others won't. I'm past all that. its just an after thought for me.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Washing shifu's drawers and bringing him his dinner isn't an authentic traditional kung fo relationship.

Getting beaten like a red headed step child is.

HSKW hit the proverbial nail on the head; although he's clearly wasting his breath and energy on someone who's sole intention is to level personal attacks at someone he knows absolutely nothing about. I don't need to attack MK's character or misrepresent and misquote his statements. For one, it serves no purpose, as anyone possessing anything above an adolescent mentality has better things to do with their time. Second, whatever personal issues MK has are his and his alone to work through and to eventually come to grips with. I have been misquoted several times over and conclusions have been drawn based solely on opinion and personal agenda with absolutely no truth to back them up. Yet, I've kept my mouth shut and have allowed MK to demonstrate through his own words and actions where his value system really lies. I could pick apart the blatant inconsistencies in almost every single statement he has made like so much overcooked chicken, but I choose not to because the bottom line is this: I don't care what someone posting on a public forum has to say about me personally. It doesn't matter. Until he makes the mistake of showing up on the doorstep of my Gym with his seriously flawed attitude in tow, nothing he says carries any weight or has any merit to it, whatsoever. There are numerous blowhards like MK in this world. Eventually, what they put out comes back to them in spades, often breaking them completely, or leaving them even more bitter, jaded, and hateful than they were to begin with. By typing so much as a single word I've already given MK far more attention than he deserves. Of course, the accusations, assumptions, and provocations will continue to fly if for no other reason than he simply doesn't know any better.

I'll let him continue to sink his own ship, because as far as I'm concerned, MK is an afterthought and this thread is closed.

CFM is a white boy trained by a white boy trained by non-Chinese, yet somehow feels obligated to act FOB. What a riot.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    CFM is a white boy trained by a white boy trained by non-Chinese, yet somehow feels obligated to act like FOB. What a riot.
    so you know CFM?