Thread: The Hunger Games

Hybrid View

The Hunger Games

Might as well get one started on this as it opens in a few weeks. And it's got archery.

Hunger Games Star's Sultry Side
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i liked it better when it was battle royale!!

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i liked it better when it was battle royale!!
    Me too. My niece and nephew have been reading the book series. When I learned about the plot, I made it a point to tell them about Battle Royale. This is such an obvious rip-off that I'm surprised the Japanese author hasn't taken legal action.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 03-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.

thats what i said....such a giant lawsuit...and nobody is even saying anything.

Reminds me of The Running Man too.

The Running Man was '87. Battle Royale was 2000. The Hunger Games has the game show element of RM, with the kids of BR. A lot of my kid's friends a very into the book series, so it's very highly anticipated.

HG only really came to my attention when I was interviewing Saoirse Ronan for Hanna.
    HANNA: The Girl Who Kicked Ass
    Pleased to be part of rising bevy of girl fighters in film, Ronan believes that it is indicative of what film audiences want now - girls who are strong and can kick ass. "I went a screening the other night, which Joe wasn't allowed to go to because it was an 'all girls' screening. And there were women, some of them were mothers, they were all in their late 30s. And what they really got out of the film was a sense of empowerment and the fact that not even that she's young, but that she's female and has this strength over so many people. It's very exciting to see on screen. And I'm glad now that there's more characters coming out."

"It'll be great when Katniss from the HUNGER GAMES (slated for 2012) comes out at well. Not to go on to a different film, but I remember reading the book and thinking that this is a character that girls are going to look up to. And I think they're going to do the same with HANNA as well. The reason why I did was because she's weird. She's a bit of a misfit and she's got strength."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The Running Man was '87. Battle Royale was 2000. The Hunger Games has the game show element of RM, with the kids of BR. A lot of my kid's friends a very into the book series, so it's very highly anticipated.

HG only really came to my attention when I was interviewing Saoirse Ronan for Hanna.
    the ny time put forth an article calling hunger games, straight up plagiarism...im trying to look for it online, but the article went point for point the similarities between hunger games and the 1999 novel battle royale. and its a wonder the royale will finally be getting an official blu ray release just before the hunger games premiere date.

The Spring Blockbuster

Do you see what the big deal about this movie is now, HH?

'Hunger Games' gorges on $214 million global debut
    By Lisa Richwine
    LOS ANGELES | Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37am EDT

(Reuters) - Post-apocalyptic action movie "The Hunger Games" opened with a staggering $155 million at U.S. and Canadian box offices, beating Hollywood's lofty expectations and making history as the third-highest domestic film opening.

Internationally, the Lions Gate Entertainment drama about an oppressive society's teen death match added $59.3 million from 67 markets for a global haul of $214.3 million.

The massive U.S. and Canadian debut for the film ranked behind only last summer's "Harry Potter" finale and 2008 Batman movie "The Dark Knight," Lions Gate said.

The movie's success brings the first blockbuster franchise to Lions Gate, a smaller Hollywood studio best known previously for the "Saw" horror series and comedian Tyler Perry's films.

"Hunger Games" set records for highest opening of a non-sequel film and biggest debut outside the summer blockbuster season.

"The first movie in a franchise, to post a number like this, is really insane. There is no other word for it," said Phil Contrino, editor of Boxoffice.com.

"'Harry Potter' had seven movies before it got to that point, and 'Dark Knight' had years and years of building the Batman brand. This movie comes and hangs with them in the same league," Contrino said.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" opened with $169.2 million domestically over its opening weekend, while "Dark Knight" took in $158.4 million, according to Hollywood.com.

"Hunger Games" is an action-filled survival drama based on the first of three best-selling young adult novels by Suzanne Collins. Jennifer Lawrence stars as Katniss Everdeen, a teen girl who fights in a televised battle-to-the-death ordered by her society's rulers. Everdeen becomes a beacon of hope for freedom against the totalitarian government.

Lions Gate executives got a sense of the huge appetite for "Hunger Games" when they ventured with director Gary Ross and producer Nina Jacobson to the ArcLight Cinema in Hollywood late Thursday ahead of the first screenings just after midnight.

Fans packed the lobby for showings on multiple screens, with many of the book's devotees dressed as characters. Similar scenes occurred across the country. By Saturday evening, executives went to bed thinking the film would finish the weekend with about $140 million domestically. But sales held up stronger than expected from Friday night to Saturday night, dropping just 25 percent instead of the typical 40 percent or more.

"To launch a franchise like this is incredible. It's above and beyond our expectations," David Spitz, executive vice president of domestic distribution for Lions Gate, said on Sunday. "We're just going to enjoy the ride."

Going into the weekend, industry forecasters projected about $125 million in domestic receipts from Friday through Sunday. Box-office watchers compared the movie's drawing power to the "Twilight" vampire romance films, another franchise based on popular young adult books.

The "Hunger Games" blew past the domestic debuts for each of the first four "Twilight" films, which Lions Gate now owns after buying Summit Entertainment in January.

"Hunger Games" rung up an average of $37,467 at 4,137 domestic locations from Friday through Sunday.

Audiences applauded the film adaptation of the book, giving the movie an "A" grade on average in polling by survey firm CinemaScore.

"Hunger Games" appealed to more adults and more males than "Twilight," which banked a large chunk of its receipts from teenage girls, Contrino said. Fifty-six percent of the "Hunger Games" audience was over age 25, and 39 percent was male.

The movie cost about $80 million to produce after tax credits. The studio pre-sold distribution rights in foreign markets other than Britain to cut its cost to about $30 million. That reduced the risk but also limited the money Lions Gate will get from overseas sales.

SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING DRIVE

To reach the film's core audience of younger viewers, the movie's $45 million marketing budget made aggressive use of the Internet, including a game on Facebook, YouTube videos and a blog on the site Tumblr dedicated to the film's fashion.

Anticipation built among fans and on Wall Street, where Lions Gate shares jumped nearly 33 percent in the six weeks leading up to the film's Friday opening. Shares rose from $10.95 on February 8 to $14.53 on March 23.

Toy companies also are trying to score big off the movie. Teen retailer Hot Topic Inc said last week it had sold out some "Hunger Games" merchandise. Hasbro Inc and Mattel Inc also have licenses to market toys based on "Hunger Games."

To win the rights to make the film, Lions Gate beat out bigger and better funded rivals with personal appeals to Collins beginning in 2009.

At the same time, Lions Gate was simultaneously fending off investor Carl Icahn, who took a 33 percent stake in Lions Gate and launched an unsuccessful proxy fight to elect five board members to the studio's board of directors.

Icahn bailed out on Lions Gate in August 2011, selling his 44 million shares for $7 apiece and losing out on a $331 million profit based on Lions Gate's closing stock price on Friday.

Elsewhere this weekend, "Hunger Games" had little competition at the domestic box office. No other new movies were released nationwide.

Comedy "21 Jump Street" took second place for the weekend with $21.3 million, and animated "Dr. Seuss' The Lorax" finished third with $13.1 million.

Rounding out the top five, Disney sci-fi adventure "John Carter" pulled in $5.0 million, and military drama "Act of Valor" grossed $2.1 million.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I did see the numbers and they are staggering, have yet to hear anyone praise the movie...just that they were going to see it.

Clearly another sign of the forth coming Apocalypse Gene.

Even when I was 13, I'd still rather go see the original Master of the Flying Guillotine any day.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Don't knock it until you've seen it, right?

I'm pretty neutral about THG having never read the books (I haven't read any YA since Harry). I plan to see this eventually just because it's such a hit and for the connection to BR.

The potential bump in the popularity of archery is intriguing, especially as THG will be followed by another heroine in Disney/Pixar's Brave, which looks quite promising.

Ready for the Guillotines redux, HH?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm pretty neutral about THG having never read the books (I haven't read any YA since Harry). I plan to see this eventually just because it's such a hit and for the connection to BR.

The potential bump in the popularity of archery is intriguing, especially as THG will be followed by another heroine in Disney/Pixar's Brave, which looks quite promising.

did you fb jack me gene? lol...i posted this fb and was going to post it here but you beat me to it...either way this is hilarious. i think the first book is like battle royale but according to the girl im currently dating the other two books take on a different tone and feel...idk

Initially I was completely stoked about the Guillotines, imagine today's visual effects with the flying guillotine, it would have been awesome but then the release about not using the flying guillotine from the first movie cooled my jets. I haven't seen enough about the new film or trailers to reform my optimism.

Gene, I like archery have been reading some books about English archers and wonder why more films don't use it as the main characters weapons (aside from Legolas)...its completely lethal. There is a certain romance with the sword, although I prefer Hebrew Hammers, maces, morning stars, and Axes...HH like to smash, just my style. Have you seen the Korean film The War of Arrows?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

dm & HH

dm - I did poach that off fb, but not from you. When you're an fb **** like me, your news is a constant stream of stuff like this. I saw your post there with this and thought you poached it from here.

HH - My latest ezine interview, Peter Lorge on CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS: FROM ANTIQUITY TO THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY Part 2, opens with a short discussion of archery, and embedded in it is this crazy vid of a Chinese synchronized archery competition. Check it out. There is definitely a trend towards archery now with this, Brave and The Avengers (which features Hawkeye).

I saw your post on WoA but haven't seen it yet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Exclusive Teaser Trailer

It seems to be the day for posting trailers.

Our original Hunger Games thread.

The Hunger Games Explorer combines trailer, tweets and more
    Posted by Cara Kelly on April 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Fewer than 24 hours after the trailer for “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” aired during the MTV Movie Awards Sunday night, Lionsgate released an interactive online destination for fans, a result of a partnership with Internet Explorer.

Screenshot The Hunger Games Explorer

The Hunger Games Explorer is a catch-all of videos (including the new trailer for the second movie in the series), Tweets, feeds from fan sites and official updates that will allow fans to “track every development in the franchise,” according to a release.

The site is the latest iteration of the entertainment company’s attempt to tap the large and engaged fan base for Suzanne Collins’ young adult trilogy. Prior to the release of the first film, Capitol Couture emerged as a showcase for fashion and style content focused on the film’s costumes and the high-end designers who created them.

The movie, however, should have little difficulty connecting with its audience. The first film made $155 million on its opening weekend. And the new trailer makes the upcoming film seem just as compelling, with scenes of riots and a glimpse of Philip Seymour Hoffman as the new game-maker, stating frankly that Katniss should die.

The camerawork also appears to be a bit more steady-handed. This may be a result of complaints that the last film’s rough, “Blair Witch”-style filming made viewers dizzy..

New director Francis Lawrence replaces Gary Ross, who passed on the second film, saying he could not complete in the time frame Lionsgate proposed.

In the sequel, Lawrence will explore the series’ political themes, which play a larger role in the second book than the games themselves.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT because it's Korea...

It may not be a 'Chinese' theme park, but it's Hunger Games and Twilight.

MOVIES
    ‘Hunger Games’ and ‘Twilight’ Are Getting Their Own Theme Park
    Mahita Gajanan
    Aug 16, 2017
    The studio behind popular film franchises like Hunger Games and Twilight has announced plans to open a theme park in South Korea.
    The movie studio Lionsgate announced Tuesday that it will open Lionsgate Movie World, a 1.3 million-square-foot theme part that will comprise seven different "zones" dedicated to a different film from Lionsgate. The park, which is the first branded outdoor theme park for Lionsgate, will be a part of Jeju Shinhwa World, a resort located on South Korea's Jeju Island.
    Each "zone" of Lionsgate Movie World will be focused on different blockbusters from the studio, including Hunger Games, Twilight, Now You See Me and the upcoming remake of Robin Hood. The zones will feature reproduced streets and towns from the films, rides that bring visitors to scenes from movies and themed restaurants.The movies inspiring the zones at Lionsgate Movie World have collectively grossed about $9 billion at the global box office, according to Lionsgate. The theme park is scheduled to open in 2019.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (2023)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips