Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Disappointed with Wing Chun

I have no say in WC matters, as I've never tried it.....yet...but I do agree that Full Contact (even if you must wear gear ) gives you invaluable experience and knowledge.
    I haven't had too much full contact training yet, but have been in more than enough scuffles (pre-KF training) to know that it is completely different than punching the air...
    Plus, I think its a great way to find out what you need to work on. My techniques may look great in form/practice, but will I be able to execute what I need, call upon my learning when I need it most??? And how better to really bring to my attention what I need to work on than a good bop to the face
    My father taught me to swim by tossing me in the deep end of the pool, he had worked with me a little bit on the basics in the shallow end, where it was only to my chin, but he wanted to see if I retained what I learned when I needed it. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. and I think full contact training is the same. You learn some stuff, then you test it to see what works, what doesn't, and what else you need. After a while, it becomes instinct, and that is what its all about.

BTW....I am really enjoying this thread
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.
    I peeped at a feast over there......and over there.....

Thanks for this Post...i dont think too many people will disagree with you...

I suggest seeking out other martial artist. Maybe form a club or group where you all can get together and spar. When I was teenager We had informal club. There were about three of us. Two Wing Chun and One Muay Thai guy who challenge other people. There was forth guy who was wrestler and streetfighter but he wasnt a frequent enough to claim as a member. But he did come around for sparring every now and then.

But we would spar with karate guys, Kung Fu guys, Tae Kwon Do guys and Muay Thai guys at school an in the neighbor hood. Some were more skilled and had more experience and some where not at our level yet. But it was still alot of fun. Trying an testing out what you know.

The good thing about HS is everyone loved to box.

But with us everything was welcome. Boxing, TKD, and what ever...there were guys who would try all sorts of stuff!

Those where the fun days....

Recently I sparred with some karate, TKD and a Muay Thai guy in little china town square when people came to visit the Tai Chi class. But other than that its not nearly the volume of people we had back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    I have no say in WC matters, as I've never tried it.....yet...but I do agree that Full Contact (even if you must wear gear ) gives you invaluable experience and knowledge.
    I haven't had too much full contact training yet, but have been in more than enough scuffles (pre-KF training) to know that it is completely different than punching the air...
    Plus, I think its a great way to find out what you need to work on. My techniques may look great in form/practice, but will I be able to execute what I need, call upon my learning when I need it most??? And how better to really bring to my attention what I need to work on than a good bop to the face
    My father taught me to swim by tossing me in the deep end of the pool, he had worked with me a little bit on the basics in the shallow end, where it was only to my chin, but he wanted to see if I retained what I learned when I needed it. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. and I think full contact training is the same. You learn some stuff, then you test it to see what works, what doesn't, and what else you need. After a while, it becomes instinct, and that is what its all about.

BTW....I am really enjoying this thread
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Hey.....thats not a bad idea!!!!
    Maybe I can throw out a CL ad and see if there is some other MA people that want to throw some bones for fun...
    I may just do this...
    Thanks Yosh
    I came out of a Cave.
    I stole a Peach.
    I peeped at a feast over there......and over there.....

Quote Originally Posted by White_Ape View Post
    Hey.....thats not a bad idea!!!!
    Maybe I can throw out a CL ad and see if there is some other MA people that want to throw some bones for fun...
    I may just do this...
    Thanks Yosh
    Personally I have more experience with Non-WC guys...I will realistically say its harder to spar WC guys than other styles. Patrtially because most of my Kung Fu life I didnt have many WC people to trade with. So Im just use to non-WC fighting methods. Its a totally different game and the dimensions and angles are different.

But yea post some ads here and there on different forums too. Or maybe find a place were local martial artist might be found...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"