Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    So you're partially arguing that if his wc system doesn't have it another one will? You don't believe that the answer could lie wound the scope of the wc lens?
    ---------------------------------------------------

I did not argue that at all. "the wc lens"??? WC has: No single lens.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Lots of overgeneralizations about wing chun going on in this thread and often others.
    Wing chun is not a community and not consistent across lineages on stances, footwork.concepts, principles. training, contact work- you name it.

If someone is dis-satisfied with their wing chun- I am not- makes sense for them to do something else.

joy chaudhuri
    Absolutely.
    My time in WC was great and I took what worked for me and don't regret a moment of it.
    That said it was NOT a good fit for me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Lots of overgeneralizations about wing chun going on in this thread and often others.
    Wing chun is not a community and not consistent across lineages on stances, footwork.concepts, principles. training, contact work- you name it.
    This is what I couldn't understand when I first started posting here. And it wasn't until much later that I realized that my own lineage just has a different approach to learning the system. Period. And we have differences within our own family, but these are celebrated more than criticized these days as we all become more aware of exactly how and what our Sigung taught.

I have heard many students complain about why they were not shown this or that, but when it comes down to it many of them left the system anyway in preference of a more sport orientated art. Nothing wrong with that. I done the same thing many moons ago when I left the Karate Dojo to join a Boxing gym because I thought the training wasn't 'real' enough.

I have never once felt that with my Wing Chun though.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Thanks guys, excellent discussions. I learned a lot.

I will continue to explore WC. Different sifus and different interpretations.

I checked out Alan Orr and Phil Redmond because someone mentioned them. I have to say I am very impressed. It looks much closer to what I'm looking for.

I know Alan got a set of instructional DVD. Does Phil offers something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by nunchuckguy View Post
    After studying Wing Chun for a few years and looking at countless full contact "Wing Chun" fights, I am sorry to say I am quite disappointed with the modern time Wing Chun.

the key to wing chun

1. Practice Daily
    2. Build your skill (Power, Strenght, Speed, Flexibility, timing, cooridation, accuracy)
    3. Chi sau develops sensitivity
    4. San Shou develops hand eye cooridation
    5. Sparring hard and soft develops skill in fighting with techniques

One thing in my system we always trained more so against Non-wing chun attacks. Be it high kicks, boxing punches, karate punches, or just straight up brawling or street fighting attacks. Once you get used to defending against any said attack. An then spar with people of other styles or no style at all ie a street fighter. Then you begin to gain experience with what works against certain types of people. Those who spar different people out side of your system have an advantage.

AS FOR YOUTUBE

Just like alot people have watered down wing chun...you tube also water downs good wing chun. You have a few videos of wing chun working against people. But alot of it has been removed or fail away over time. Its really hard to find a WC guy straight up winning against a skilled fighter. But its out there.

But as some have said not everyone uses WC for fighting. Only the young tend to be interested in fighting...older people do it because they love kung fu!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-07-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Smile

AS FOR YOUTUBE

Just like alot people have watered down wing chun...you tube also water downs good wing chun. You have a few videos of wing chun working against people. But alot of it has been removed or fail away over time. Its really hard to find a WC guy straight up winning against a skilled fighter. But its out there.

Very true wise yoshi, now show em the video of the people wrassling and using the VT headlock

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    ... spar with people of other styles or no style at all ie a street fighter. Then you begin to gain experience with what works against certain types of people. Those who spar different people out side of your system have an advantage.

But as some have said not everyone uses WC for fighting. Only the young tend to be interested in fighting...older people do it because they love kung fu!
    I actually agree with both both points above. (I guess it had to happen sooner or later).
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

What is the WC wrestling and headlock you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei1 View Post
    AS FOR YOUTUBE

Very true wise yoshi, now show em the video of the people wrassling and using the VT headlock
    Thanks wow...we agree on something...wow...the earth is ending!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I actually agree with both both points above. (I guess it had to happen sooner or later).
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Come on Yoshi, how quickly you forget one of your best post yet.

The youtube video you posted in your thread entitled "WC techniques in sparring."

Oh by the way those WC headlocks, do you recommend a gable grip?

Come on Yoshi, how quickly you forget one of your best post yet.

The youtube video you posted in your thread entitled "WC techniques in sparring."

Oh by the way those WC headlocks, do you recommend a gable grip?
    please repost that video....i need to see it...are u feferring to neck grab from mook yan jong.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    please repost that video....i need to see it...are u feferring to neck grab from mook yan jong.
    huh? you need to see it?

uhhmm, you're the one who posted it in the thread that you started.

huh? you need to see it?

uhhmm, you're the one who posted it in the thread that you started.
    okay thanks never mind!

ne way its all good..

Forget it, yoshi is obviously to stupid to even remember his own posts, how can he be taken seriously. The Guy is a troll
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Forget it, yoshi is obviously to stupid to even remember his own posts, how can he be taken seriously. The Guy is a troll
    man im finna go back to my troll village and read from the troll manifesto to come up with some topics to write about!!!!

A lot of people tend to forget one of the most important elements of fighting. And that is aggressiveness. No matter what style you train, if you're not willing to turn it up and get in there, you'll lose. Wing Chun works if you do. But guys come in, do some drills, chi sao, and forms a few times a week, don't practice conditioning, stance and footwork are garbage, have punches and kicks like creampuffs, don't practice full contact fighting. Then when they try to compete, they get their asses handed to them and they wonder why. Being able to ***** slap someone during chi sao with your fook sao hand or sneaking in a weak palm strike with your tan sao hand does not mean you can fight. The bottom line is that people don't spend anywhere near enough time on things like footwork drills, striking power, and full contact sparring. If they did, they would do much better.