Thread: Princess and 7 Kung Fu Masters

Princess and 7 Kung Fu Masters

I thought this was about Snow and the Seven at first. It's not. It's Wong Jing & Sammo....

Filming of “Princess and Seven Kung-fu Masters” (Sammo Hung)

Princess And Seven Kung Fu masters is the latest project from director Wong Jing (City Hunter) and will star kung fu legends Sammo Hung and Yuen Wah.

PLOT

During the early years of the Republic era, in the North-East region of China, the people are suffering from the power struggle among the local Warlords, bandits, and Japanese invaders. Warlord Lam (Sammo Hung), is not a leader of great vision, but having a patriotic heart, stands firm in his own beliefs, despite the several solicitations and temptations from Japan.

The only ‘paradise’ within the region is ‘Lucky Town’, the one place where no one dared to attack. Rumors abound that this place is cursed, for whenever anyone attempted to invade Lucky Town, they would disappear and vanish without a trace. In reality, there are seven kung fu masters who have retreated into the shadows and resided here. They are Manysons (Eric Tsang) Madonna (Sandra Ng) and Madonhung (Xie Na), the owners of a steamed bread shop Nam Mor Bing (Yuen Wah), the Taoist priest ***** Four (Wong Cho Lam), the tailor Little Trumpet (Ronald Cheng), the cosmetic salesman and Mamasan Maggie (Natalie Meng), the brothel owner. Every one of them is a master in his own right, keeping Lucky Town in peace.

Lam’s daughter, Cheryl (Kimmy Tong) is very fond of culinary arts, and often does grocery shopping in Lucky Town. She is pretty and lovely and very much favoured by the Seven Masters, especially ***** Four who falls for her at first sight and regards her as his dream lover.

The Japanese secret agent, Kiyoko Kurosawa (Monica Mok), allied with traitors from the Tiger’s Den: Tiger Hong, Jaguar Hong and Phoenix Hong (Jiang Luxia), to set up a secret outpost to send secret-coded messages back to Japan. Young patriots, Yan Fang (Rose Chan) who disguised herself as a man, and Howard Luo (Dennis To), infiltrate Tiger’s Den at night, trying to steal the code book. They lose the fight to the Hongs, Howard sacrifices himself to save Yan who was wounded.

On the run, Yan is rescued by Cheryl. Mistaking Yan as a man, Cheryl falls for Yan. She then brings Yan to Lucky Town and begs the Seven Masters to cure Yan.

On the other hand, Warlord Lam saves a pretty lady and grows fond of her. This lady is actually Kiyoko Kurosawa in disguise. Using Ninjutsu skills, Kiyoko seduces Lam and controls his will. She then organises a wedding for Lam and herself, in the hope of becoming the warlord’s wife so she can control Lam’s army. On the wedding day, Cheryl and the Seven Masters arrive in time to ruin her wedding plans. Lam regains his senses finally and unites together with the Seven Masters, to fight against Kiyoko and the Hongs.

CAST

Sammo Hung, Siu-Lung Leung, Eric Tsang, Sandra Ng, Wah Yuen, Ronald Cheng, Na Xie, Luxia Jiang, Dennis To, Shi Xing Yu, Timmy Hung, Philip Ng, Rose Chan, Yao Meng.

Release Date:2012
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

First forum review!

A long time ago, there’s was buzz about a project dubbed Snow and the Seven. I can’t tell you if this was related. There is an apple scene.

In Chinese, it’s 笑功震武林 which translates into ‘laughing power shakes the martial forest’. It’s a Wong Jing film so if you know his work, you know. Stephen Chow has Mo lei tau - his wacky comedy style. Wong Jing has his own style of comedy and I don’t know if it has a name. It’s distinct from Mo lei tau in my mind but equally irreverent. It’s got a lot of slapstick, Benny Hill fast motion, looney tunes sound effects, absurd physics, corkscrew plot twists and kick ass Kung Fu.

I watched this on YouTube with only Chinese subs. That might have made it better because I couldn’t figure out what was going on all the time (my Mandarin is lacking). A lot of characters, a lot of corny sight gags, a lot of cheesy cgi effects, a lot of fights. But engaging. It never gave me a genuine lol moment, but I did smirk a lot at the chicanery.

And what a cast! Sammo Hung, Eric Tseng, Sandra Ng, Yuen Wah, Dennis To, and two personal friends, Philip Ng and Former Shaolin monk Yanneng, here billed under his given name Xing Wu.

This poached a lot from Kung Fu Hustle - a Dragon lady with lion’s roar, a fay tailor (who ends up straight), Xing Wu...and then it goes all over the place like Wong Jing does: ninjas, silver arhats, noodle making, cross dressing, mistaken lovers, shape shifting underground burrowing ninjette, acupuncture mind control, freezing pressure points, punching foes through walls, kicking harlots, and weapons like chain whips, benches, shuriken, coin swords, cymbals, bolts of cloth, bolos, hatchets, scissors, double butcher knives, switchblade pole arms, brass baby (the brass man is a 2 ft metal statue listed in a few Chinese arms books but I’ve never seen one outside of movies - and this one was a baby). There was more that I’m forgetting.

Wong Jing films are an acquired taste but I enjoyed this one because of the cast.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart