Thread: I watched Kickboxer on Spike TV last night

I watched Kickboxer on Spike TV last night

Ok, for some reason this is a classic martial arts movie and I must admit, I've probably seen it about 10 times.

Here's what I like about it:
    1. It's about muy thai (spelling?)
    2. Jean Claude Van Dam actually visits a muy thai training school in the film. pretty cool.
    3. It's a classic revenge plot. (You killed my master=you paralyzed my brother)
    4. The training scenes are pretty cool (jump spinning kicks, full side splits and kicking down a tree)
    5. The idea of fighting with your hands dipped in resin and then dipped in glass.
    6. It's actually filmed in Thai Land.

Here's what I don't like about it:
    1. The acting is LAME! LAME, LAME LAME!
    2. The fight scenes are LAME! Most of them one person is just standing there while the other person is kicking the crap out of them. There's no blocking, no trapping, no counter moves. Just fancy kick slug fest type stuff.
    3. Did I say the acting is LAME?

It's a pretty good movie if you have nothing else to do.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I'd give it a 3.

What do you all think? Anyone watch it last night?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I've seen that movie a bunch of times. That parts where Van Damme gets drunk and starts dancing and beating up bar rats makes me laugh so hard I almost p1ss my pants. The funny thing is that even though, as you, I think this movie is SOOOOO corny, I'll probably watch it if I see it. A long time ago, 7* posted a link to this site that rips all the Van Damme movies. It was really funny.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Oh it's definately a classic. But back in the day it was probably more impressive with regards to the fight scenes, by nowadays standards it sucks horribly.
    the acting was horrible, but it's a martial arts b-movie what do we experct right?

Exactly, I'm sure I'll watch it another 10 times in my life.

Did you guys hear that Van Dam might fight in K1? I'd like to see that.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Van Damme in his prime had a really impressive physique and was a very talented athlete. I know nothing of his fighting skills, but if this is true then more power to him, I'd love to see that. Making movies is one thing, being able to back it up is another.
    what would it take to get some kung fu actors into the ring .haha

ttt 4 2015!

Just wanted to add the Kickboxer-Remake thread here, for archival sake.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt 4 2021

Funny story

Researcher’s First Hack Was a Martial Arts Movie-Inspired Prank

In the latest episode of the My First Hack series, Haroon Meer tells us about that time he discovered hacking and pranked his best friend.

By Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai
    May 28, 2021, 6:00am

[IMG]https://video-images.vice.com/articles/60afc0758d770d00941cd5b9/lede/1622135189346-screen-shot-2021-05-27-at-10601-pm.png?crop=0.9656xw:0.999xh;0.0344xw,0.001xh&resi ze=500:*[/IMG]

When Haroon Meer figured out he could change the prompt on all the computers in his high school’s computer lab, he didn’t even grasp the concept of hacking yet, let alone worried about covering his tracks.

He was sitting with his best friend when he realized “on a whim” that all he needed to do was to change a single character in a configuration file to put a message that would be displayed on every single computer. At the time, Meer and his friend, who was known as Cow, were fans of the classic Jean-Claude Van Damme martial arts movie Kickboxer. In the movie’s climactic fight scene, the crowd chants Nuk Su Cow in support of Van Damme’s character.

That's why Meer changed the computers' prompt to NukSuCow. His teacher did not find the prank funny.

Meer is now the founder of cybersecurity startup Thinkst, and he's been giving talks at hacking conferences all over the world for years.

On this new episode of our podcast series My First Hack, Meer and his friend Cow recount that first hack. Listen to the whole story in the podcast below.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart