Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coronal Mass Ejection

Coronal Mass Ejection

Did the CME mess anyone up? I didn't know anything about it until the warnings came down. I noticed yesterday that my connection absolutely sucked wherever I was. The ETA on a 18mb Download from apple was like 12 hours. And it was happening to me with all transfers. Some better than others, but still. Then I read about the Solar activity and I'm thinking that was probably it. Maybe not, but the timing was right.

Anyone else have issues? maybe it was worse where I am. Not too sure.

Ooooh. I like that term much better than Solar Flare

No problems here. It was nice and sunny all day and our computer network ran as well as it ever does (which isn't saying much ).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No problems so far. But it's supposed to be going on for a while, isn't it?

I heard there was a pretty big CME in the late 1800s, and that some telegraph wires were fried because of it. Of course, if an equivalent 'hit' as that occurred today, it could possibly be catastrophic to the electrical grid.

Could happen. Not always a lot of warning either. Sometimes we can sort of predict them and other times it just happens and we're caught off guard. Interesting stuff. My knowledge is ametuer though.

It's not a new term, gene. Actually it isn't a solar flare, it's from the solar storm caused by flaring. Not to be picky, just sayin there is a distinction.

But yeah I like it too. It's a very apt term and pretty much describes what it is. I like that. And it sounds cool.

Can't say that was it for sure, but my connections sucked for about 36 hours then went right back to normal. Timeline is right. I'm surprised nobody else noticed though? It makes me think I'm wrong about why. Either that or generally people just aren't very observant. Hard to tell. But I was affected during the window and ONLY during the window. But I haven't heard much from anyone about it. Then again 99% of people don't even know what a CME is or that we even had one. So who knows. I'm very curious tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No problems so far. But it's supposed to be going on for a while, isn't it?

I heard there was a pretty big CME in the late 1800s, and that some telegraph wires were fried because of it. Of course, if an equivalent 'hit' as that occurred today, it could possibly be catastrophic to the electrical grid.
    Could a really bad solar barf event kill off life on Earth? Anyone know? I mean, could our sun do such a thing to us?

Saw som nebulae on TV that still had a main-sequence star in them after a massive shedding event. But it was a much more massive star than our sun to begin with.

We lost server conntection for a day. Never learned why.

Getting some nice auroral displays, though.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

On the subject of mass ejections...

Just learned that Iliamna, our second closest volcano, has gone code yellow. If it blasts we'll have spectacular sunsets for a while. I don't think I've ever watched the northern lights through a volcanic haze before.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    Could a really bad solar barf event kill off life on Earth? Anyone know? I mean, could our sun do such a thing to us?

Saw som nebulae on TV that still had a main-sequence star in them after a massive shedding event. But it was a much more massive star than our sun to begin with.
    could it? It will swallow the entire planet eventually and leave it a burnt out husk of charred carbon.

Never know when that's gonna happen. We are at this point trapped here until we can get it together.

so long as we whine at each other for not believing in certain skygods, or we use money to wield power, or weapons of war to subjigate ourselves in other regions we will simply not get there.

as far as that is concerned, humanity is a massive failure and more concerned with the asses and mouths of individuals.

so it's probably a good thing we are not polluting the galaxy with our stupid primitive selves at this time.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rett View Post
    could a really bad solar barf event kill off life on earth? Anyone know? I mean, could our sun do such a thing to us?

Saw som nebulae on tv that still had a main-sequence star in them after a massive shedding event. But it was a much more massive star than our sun to begin with.
    knowing.......:d
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Our washer broke

It stopped spinning in the final spin. Still works, only the laundry doesn't get spun wrung, so stuff is still very wet when it goes to the dryer. I don't believe it was a result of the Coronal Mass Ejection. I think it was because it's a 12-year-old washer. But I figured it's worth mentioning here as it's a slow news morning.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i turned into a werewolf. was pretty cool time
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

werewolf zombie ninja?

sounds like a drinking game.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    sounds like a drinking game.
    a three pronged drinking game!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Now, now...Don't be bringing prongs into it

Mention Prongs and Coronal Mass Ejections and this thread will take a turn for the worse.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips