Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Union's 'racist' martial video

Hybrid View

European Union's 'racist' martial video

Follow the link to see the vid.
    EU withdraws £106,000 'racist' propaganda video
    The European Union has withdrawn a £106,000 propaganda video promoting itself as a force for world peace after complaints of “racism”.
    By Bruno Waterfield, Brussels
    3:45PM GMT 06 Mar 2012

Last week’s short “viral” internet film shows a white woman, dressed in gold and blue clothes, the colours of the EU’s flag, overcoming threatening, dark-skinned martial arts assailants.

First the EU heroine, modelled on the martial arts film Kill Bill, is menaced by a Chinese Kung Fu master. Then a second threat appears as a urbaned practitioner of Kalaripayattu, a southern Indian martial art, levitates towards her brandishing a scimitar.

As she turns to face the new menace, a third black assailant with dreadlocks cartwheels aggressively towards her before striking a Capoeira pose, the Brazilian martial art.

But staring at the men, the woman does not fight. Splitting into 12 versions of herself, the number of stars on the EU’s flag, she encircles the men, who drop their weapons and aggressive fighting stances.

All then sit cross legged on the ground talking and the 12 identical women morphs into the EU’s flag with the slogan, “the more we are, the stronger we are”.

European Commission officials were forced moved to pull the film from YouTube on Tuesday after thousands of complaints that the video promoted “imperialism” and “stereotypes” rather than the EU’s “neighbourhood” policy.

Stefano Sannino, the official in charge of the Commission’s enlargement and neighbourhood policy, insisted that the film, targeting 16 to 24-year olds, had been well received by target audiences and focus groups.

“The clip featured typical characters for the martial arts genre: it started with demonstration of their skills and ended with all characters showing their mutual respect, concluding in a position of peace and harmony. The genre was chosen to attract young people and to raise their curiosity on an important EU policy,” he said.

But following many complaints, Mr Sannino said that, despite the €127,000 production cost, the two minute video would be axed.

“The clip was absolutely not intended to be racist and we obviously regret that it has been perceived in this way,” he said.

“We apologise to anyone who may have felt offended. Given these controversies, we have decided to stop the campaign immediately and to withdraw the video.”

One YouTube viewer posted the comment: “White woman defends against Black, Asian and Indian men... racist much? UK taxpayers' money should not be used to promote an agency to which the public is so diametrically opposed.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i suppose they could have had a snooty french savate guy...but no one would have really gotten what he was supposed to be...it'd be like "whos the arse with the boxing gloves on in tight shorts, and whats he supposed to be??"

maybe they coulda had a back street rocky balboa boxer type guy or something...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well... if you are gonna go with a MA motif AND you are trying to show that battle that is happening between the EU and China, India and Brasil in terms of outsourcing jobs and such, this is video does just that.
    The fact that a Chinese Kung fu guy looks like that and that an Indian MA looks liek that and that the typical brasilian capoeiraist looks liek that too is NOT stereotyping.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Fear of the brown horde is equally as strong in North America.

Unfounded, stupid, racist and ignorant...but there it is in all it's glory.

yeesh.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Fear of the brown horde is equally as strong in North America.

Unfounded, stupid, racist and ignorant...but there it is in all it's glory.

yeesh.
    Uh Dave, I know you're a Cannuck but where I'm from, it has become the brown horde. The thing I'm digging down here is that it's getting harder and harder to tell what ethnicity people are....my own little melting pot, and zee ladies are fine!

As far as I'm concerned they're aren't enough Brazilian women here as it is...

It's hard to imagine any racism stemming from Europe strictly based on past performance.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 03-11-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

context gentlemen, context

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i suppose they could have had a snooty french savate guy...but no one would have really gotten what he was supposed to be...it'd be like "whos the arse with the boxing gloves on in tight shorts, and whats he supposed to be??"
    France is in the EU, so that makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well... if you are gonna go with a MA motif AND you are trying to show that battle that is happening between the EU and China, India and Brasil in terms of outsourcing jobs and such, this is video does just that.
    The fact that a Chinese Kung fu guy looks like that and that an Indian MA looks liek that and that the typical brasilian capoeiraist looks liek that too is NOT stereotyping.
    They withdrew the vid and apologized. They wouldn't have done that if it was NOT stereotyping. The fact of the matter is that there are more people in India practicing TKD than Kalari. Kalari is pretty rare, even there.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ya but they're french!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

They withdrew the vid and apologized. They wouldn't have done that if it was NOT stereotyping. The fact of the matter is that there are more people in India practicing TKD than Kalari. Kalari is pretty rare, even there.
    Big ado about nothing.
    Europe and the EU has always been racist, what else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Big ado about nothing.
    Europe and the EU has always been racist, what else is new?
    lol, and we live in completely undivided societies over here in NA...

wait..what?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol, and we live in completely undivided societies over here in NA...

wait..what?
    LOL !
    Didn't say that.

I'll bet there are also more people in China doing TKD than kung fu (except maybe Taiji). When I lived in Taiwan, TKD was the biggest MA by far, and probably still is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'll bet there are also more people in China doing TKD than kung fu (except maybe Taiji). When I lived in Taiwan, TKD was the biggest MA by far, and probably still is there.
    TKD is still the most widely practiced asian martial art in the world as far as I know.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

white people being passive aggresive. whats new?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

To be fair, the video should have included Americans...

...and what martial art would have been stereotypically American? MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    In the mainland, it's still kung fu and wushu, by a long shot. There's some TKD and Judo because they are Olympic, but that's far overshadowed by CMA in the PRC.

TKD is still the most widely practiced asian martial art in the world as far as I know.
    TKD might have the most schools and the largest tournaments, but tai chi is much larger when you factor in all the people doing it in China as well as all of the seniors doing it. It's just a lot quieter than TKD because the bulk of tai chi practitioners just do it for the love of it. They don't compete or participate in any public demonstrations at all.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They withdrew the vid and apologized. They wouldn't have done that if it was NOT stereotyping.
    Governments cave to pressure all the time. Even when they are canning somebody who did nothing wrong, like Shirley Sherrod. Yet the spineless Obama admin fired her in spite of being fully exonerated by the real evidence and proved the Breitbart had submitted doctored evidence. But they still fired her. Even when the NAACP came out and said "we are so very sorry, it seems the evidence was skewed, faked and taken out of context" and she was still fired. And just to show how spineless the Obama administration really is, after that No Drama Obama caved to pressure and offered her another job on the slide.So just because they remove the vid that isn't an admission of guilt. I haven't seen the vid. I dunno if it's bad or not. I'm just commenting on that one little part of what you were saying. Dropping something is not an admission of guilt. just like paying out a settlement to make something just go away is not an admission of guilt and in those contracts the plaintiff gives up all claims.

I'll check the vid when I get a chance. Is it really that bad?