Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about this kind of competition?

Table top action

The classic table scene from Prodigal son

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Anyway, from the responses so far I gather nobody's tried this yet except, like Yoshi, training with friends.
    I didn't say I hadn't tried it! But we also had numerous methods to experiment with including low plum flower posts like...

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    We used to do lots of chi sao on a plum blossom pile (an arrangement of poles sticking about 3 feet out of the ground).
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I didn't say I hadn't tried it! But we also had numerous methods to experiment with including low plum flower posts like...
    OK, you tried it... but did you like it?

And about those Plum-Flower Posts, how does that hold up with WC footwork? I always wondered about that. It seems like stepping from post to post would demand a totally different kind of stepping than the dragging step we train so hard to acheive in my lineage. Although, it was supposedly something people did way back at the dawn of WC... maybe when it was more like southern Shaolin?

As for the platforms, maybe I'll go out and get some cinder blocks and plywood and give it a go just for fun. With my arthritic ankles I think I'll skip the plum flower posts. Don't need to mess up my legs again.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    In the past when I was first learning We trained this way. But i was a teenager then.

we would actually spar and do chi sau on table tops. Not really like in the movies...but what ever was avaiable...

At a local park they would have heavy park tables with benches we would fight on.

We werent intent on pushing someone off..Just getting in alot strikes an controlling or movement and manurervaing as to not fall off.

But we like teens then. thinking we were invincilbe...So the idea of real damage that could have happen to us we didnt take into consideration...I mean me an this one guy would fight on walls, on beams, on steps, on tables, on stages, in the grass, in the rain, in the snow, at night, etc etc...It was something we did all the time at any given place...we looked for new places to fight...We didnt implent throws and take downs on the benches and tables but we did do some pretty hard sparring in those days.

now i just do chi sau with a buddy of mines on a elevated sewer cover...its about two feet off the ground maybe a little more...its about four square feet no more than five.

My my my Yoshi ... or is it me me me?

We've all heard about old school bouts in Hong Kong and on the mainland fought on top of tables. And of course there is the cool, if unrealistic, table top fight scene in the movie Ip Man II. My old sifu spoke of training chi-sau that way, and from time to time we've all seen demos like that -- using strong square tables something like card tables, not tippy, round restaurant tables like in the movie, of course. Well, reading this bit on another thread got me wondering, "Why don't we set up actual competitions based on this?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sean66
    Sifu WKL: Some parts of the Wing Chun style are very useful, while others are not ideally suited to certain situations. All styles have their benefits and disadvantage. Say, Wing Chun can be used with great effect when you only have small space or fight at close range. Like the predecessors, when they exchanged skills it was on a very small platform. So back then you could not step too much backwards, so the platform made you have to keep a close distance.

Personally, I'd really like to see competitons set up like this. Set up a small, low platform about 5 ft. by 5 ft., have opponents start from opposite corners. You could use kicking, punching, elbows, knees, throws, or grappling, but if you go over the side, you lose. If both competitors go over, you'd reset on top. It could be done safely using low platforms ...say about 2 ft. off a floor padded with mats. It would be challenging and dramatic, and it would showcase the type of close fighting situation WC evolved to fight.

Has anybody actually promoted open competitions anything like this? I'm thinking WC might earn some real respect if they did. Any thoughts?
    There are a number of WC groups in AZ and aside from a few personal issues here and there, most get along pretty well. Why not invite some of the boys out to see if you can get something like this going to see what would be a good idea and what wouldn't? Better to get a few heads together, put some hands on it and see what comes out.

It might be really fun or "that strange thing we did that one time" who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    My my my Yoshi ... or is it me me me?
    lol glad i could make someone smile today!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    There are a number of WC groups in AZ and aside from a few personal issues here and there, most get along pretty well. Why not invite some of the boys out to see if you can get something like this going to see what would be a good idea and what wouldn't? Better to get a few heads together, put some hands on it and see what comes out.

I'd be up for that!
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I'd be up for that!
    tell me how it goes!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    tell me how it goes!
    Hey man, why wait, this might the chance of a life time to showcase your awesome WC skill in an friendly and non threatening setting, and I'm even willing to throw in a couple of $$ to help with the bus fare.

OK, you tried it... but did you like it?
    Of course I did! And still take on the challenge today if need be

And about those Plum-Flower Posts, how does that hold up with WC footwork? I always wondered about that.
    Very good question! My simple answer is, with what I have seen from a minority of Wing Chun schools, it is a very different method! probably more familiar to those with pole or knife experience. From my research, the schools with the Plum Flower within their logo/branding tend to teach a method of sorts akin to what I know.

It seems like stepping from post to post would demand a totally different kind of stepping than the dragging step we train so hard to acheive in my lineage.
    And you drag your leg because?

Although, it was supposedly something people did way back at the dawn of WC... maybe when it was more like southern Shaolin?
    Possibly, but who really knows?

From stories I have heard, our lineage is connected to Shaolin through various people, including Ng Mui and Jee Shim (both only Folklore figures really imho) Ng Mui, for example, is noted as the creator of Plum Flower Fist in almost all famous canons tracing Southern Shaolin, which is also where the stepping method originates.

Soooo many clips on YouTube that mention PF I couldn't pick one to share lol!! Seems to be big in Choy Lay Fut and Tong Long systems...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-13-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    Hey man, why wait, this might the chance of a life time to showcase your awesome WC skill in an friendly and non threatening setting, and I'm even willing to throw in a couple of $$ to help with the bus fare.
    that would be great...thanks for the endorsement!