Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice drills from China

Nice drills from China

Xiaoyao posted some nice clips of Taiji Tanglangquan training drills on YouTube.

In the clips Will does the drills with Master Zhou Zhendong and fellow students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9aCg...mvS2StCfFVTvw=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHY2h...mvS2StCfFVTvw=

I will be going to Yantai this summer to train with Master Zhou and hook up with Will and Boris. I can't wait!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Seeing various mantis drills is far better than seeing different forms. Its probably the most important aspect of mantis training.
    Yes, I think you are right on target. I like memorizing forms to remember the moves and principles. But I think drills are the best method for training before non-resisting and resisting opponents.

I think it was Sanjuro Ronin who said in another thread in the Kung Fu forum that forms can be looked at as a certificate when one has mastered the drills and principles of the form. I like that idea!

From what Will and Niki have told me, Master Zhou emphasizes the two person drills along with each form.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Who's Boris?

Yes, we have a lot of drills within each form for training specific "skills".

Somebody commented on one clip they were going to teach these drills to their students, but without hands on instruction, how can you know what you are doing?
    You can see the movement, but you cant feel what kind of power is being used, or correct shen fa, especially with baggy clothes etc

They are only meant as a reference, not a teaching aid.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    Somebody commented on one clip they were going to teach these drills to their students, but without hands on instruction, how can you know what you are doing?
    You can see the movement, but you cant feel what kind of power is being used, or correct shen fa, especially with baggy clothes etc.
    I also saw that comment on YouTube under your video.

However, the lulu and fanche techniques/principles are taught in: Taiji Tanglangquan, Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan, Mimen Tanglangquan and Qixing Tanglangquan. They are very common techniques featured in many mantis forms. So any instructor of any of these family's should be able to apply the drill you demonstrated with their own family's shenfa.

Who's Boris?
    Boris is an internet friend. He is known as swordmaestre on YouTube. His instructor is a friend of Master Zhou. He said he would pop over to the park to meet us one day while I am there.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    So any instructor of any of these family's should be able to apply the drill you demonstrated [...]
    Yep, if someone knows Mantis, they should have no problem to do so. Or even to develop their own drills on the fly as needed, depending on what the student needs to improve.

I see from Boris videos he train liu he. What is his shifus name? It would be cool to meet another westerner who trains here.

I know most mantis styles have similar drills, so there is no need to be copying drills from youtube clips. Like I said, you need hands on instruction

I see from Boris videos he train liu he. What is his shifus name? It would be cool to meet another westerner who trains here.
    Will,
    I do not know if he trains liuhe tanglangquan or not. He has uploaded many mantis videos to YouTube. In one video he states that his instructor is Cheng Xian Ming. He never mentioned the name of his instructor to me and I didn't ask, since I figured that I wouldn't know him anyways.
    Richard A. Tolson

Come to think of it, I think I met Boris at a forms competition before. He performed Luan Jie.

To be honest, I don't see a problem in post videos of drills like these. And no problem about somebody copying those also. Today, with the internet, is much easier to search through information, including pirate material. I even have a theory that it even help the good professionals to get more students. Why? Let me try to explain it.

You want to learn TCMA, so go to the first school in your neighborhood. There you began learning from a guy that got everything from the internet. So you have a retail curriculum. But as you advance, begin to search in the net for more material of your style, them you begin to ask questions. When this starts, usually comes a fake history about how he learned from some random monk and is the only one that knows his lineage.

Them you keep searching and talking to other people. So you begin to see many similarities. When this happen, you can always send a email, a youtube question or even a post in this forum. If you realize that you are being foolished, you can accomodate or begin to search for a real teacher. And your older one, looses your respect and indications to friends that could go there.

All could be avoided if this teacher just said in the beggining: "Yeah, I learned from videos." It would probably drive away most of his students, but would keep some loyal ones.

So, more videos from real practioneers in the internet, bigger the chances the fake ones didn't hold the lies for much long.

Personally, I like to search for new drills in youtube and try them. It's always a pleasure to see some different views and experiences.
    Last edited by MeiHuaBR; 03-19-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Good points Meihuabr

It doesnt bother me massively, otherwise I wouldnt put clips on there in the first place.

Anyway, from all the positive feedback Ive got, it makes me feel glad after several years of searching in China, Ive finally found a good teacher.

Does anyone train a drill called la feng shou?

Ive just started learning it. Its in someways similar to taichi push hands or wing chun sticky hands - a freeflow partner excercise for sensitivity and reaction

two partners face each other. one punches, the other uses a hook hand to stop it at the wrist and the other hand on the elbow pinning their arm to their body, then punches with the front hand. the partner then blocks the same way and it goes back and forth, adding in various attacks or changes at will

sorry my explanations a bit crappy, il try to get a video clip in the next few days

Does anyone train a drill called la feng shou?

Ive just started learning it. Its in someways similar to taichi push hands or wing chun sticky hands - a freeflow partner excercise for sensitivity and reaction

two partners face each other. one punches, the other uses a hook hand to stop it at the wrist and the other hand on the elbow pinning their arm to their body, then punches with the front hand. the partner then blocks the same way and it goes back and forth, adding in various attacks or changes at will

sorry my explanations a bit crappy, il try to get a video clip in the next few days
    That is the first drill I teach beginning students, though we don't call it la feng shou.

Then we go to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYozF7DXrm8

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRT3oAW9w2w
    Richard A. Tolson

no, its different to gou lou cai........ in la feng shou, you hook and press both hands at the same time, more like a shuang feng.

taiji mantis doesnt have gou lou cai in the keywords, this drill trains zhan & nian - sticking and adhering as well as being a set up for other techniques. like i said, its more like sticky hands or push hands.

also, i think taiji mantis uses less trapping movements than ive seen from hk seven star clips online.

feng as in seal?

So this is a double hand seal after a hook?

I've always avoided double hand seals because you leave yourself open if you don't have the opponent turned at the right angle to eliminate use of their other arm. At least with a single hand seal you still have your free hand to defend if they slip your attempt.

Cheers,
    Josh