Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuen Kay San Wing Chun

Yuen Kay San Wing Chun

My Teacher learn WC from a guy named Robert Lee McField. Now McField Gung Fu is more christian faith based and not so much of emphasis on the fighting as it was when my Sifu first learn. But yet and still many of the techniques and training methods are the same. Just the intensity is not as extreme.

Video 1 will detail many of the things that I learn as a teenager when i first started WC in highschool. Only the way my sidai learn was alot harder and more aggressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSkHNxuyWkQ

Simulated Table gor sau(light intensity) Time Stamp 0:21, 0:29

Blind Fold Chi Sau Time Stamp 0:36 (My Sidai and I would spar with out contact)

Sup Yee San Sik Time Stamp 1:13, 1:41

Bil Gee Time Stamp 2:11

Light Chi Sau on wide beam Time Stamp 2:25 (My Sidai and I sparred on narrow beam)

Chum Kiu Time Stamp 2:41

One handed San Shou freestyle Time Stamp 2:54

Video 2 shows more of the same. Blind fold chi sau, simulated table chi sau or table gor sau, chum kiu partner punching etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcldT...eature=related

We learned and practiced with a little more intensity...mostly because at the time when we were learning the emphasis was on fighting, aggression, and destroying your opponent. Thats how I learn from my Sifu. His Sifu is no longer teaching it that way. He had a change of heart and felt the need to add peace and love and christianity into it as he got older and wiser. i still enjoy the harder version though!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

well, this explains a lot...
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Thanks buddy glad to hear it...I meant to show the time stamp of partner punching...but it was in the background an my computer frooze for a second!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

You aren't really promoting this stuff as good are you? This is all a joke right?
    I saw the 'partner punching'/One handed San Shou freestyle you mention and it looks just as bad as kung fu stan's applications of punch defense. Sorry, but this clip has nothing to do with real fighting and has nothing to do with WCK.
    I hope they have very strong faith at that school, because they will need it if they think what they are doing actually works, because it won't.

Please don't tell me you also believe this is a real good example of someone busting out 150 pushups in 60 seconds to...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CxG...eature=related
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 03-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    My Teacher learn WC from a guy named Robert Lee McField. Now McField Gung Fu is more christian faith based and not so much of emphasis on the fighting as it was when my Sifu first learn. But yet and still many of the techniques and training methods are the same. Just the intensity is not as extreme.
    Forgive my confusion but what exactly does this mean?

I will check the clips out later...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I had all ways wonder where the saying " Sh$t rolls down hill" comes about, now I'm SOOOO enlighten. Think I hear Mr. YKS rolling in his grave.

You aren't really promoting this stuff as good are you? Please don't tell me you also believe this is a real good example of someone busting out 150 pushups in 60 seconds to...
    Looks like someone having an epileptic seizure....

Well one hand san shou is different than partner punching...its not the same animal.

As for the push ups. I never learn that when i practiced...That something New mcfield added after he left saint louis an went to raytown. Thats not even a full push up. But ne way i dont quite No the reasoning behind that way of doing it...Unless they do regular push ups to compliment the flutter pumps they are doing i dont see how it could be useful. But hey im not a critic. Because the guy is way stronger than I am. So if it works for him so be it.

As for the one handed San Shou. Well now its very useful. i discovered early on in high school when i first started how useful it was. We would defend so much with one hand until arms were on fire and we could barely hold them up that we became quicker and more accurate with blocking. At that time I was able to block attacks from three guys really trying to pepper my chest. I remember one time some friends of mines ambush me. an tried to see if they could land some blows on me. I didnt find out until weeks later. They were really trying to hit me. One guy was so pi$$ed he couldnt hit me he held a grudge.

One hand san shou freestyle improves alot of things. Its a different range other than chi sau.

From chi sau you learn how to deal with connections, sensitivity is increased by feeling your opponents movement and reacting, you learn how to turn off force from what you feel. How to manipulate and or control your opponents bridge and so much more...

But the non-wing chun guy aint gonna bridge with you. he is going to stick and move an seek an opening to tag you in the jaw. Thats where san shou freestyle defense comes in at. You learn how to read strikes in the beginning. We started off with stationary upagainst the wall or in a corner so you cant go any where

Since we start off with Siu Lien Tao and Ma We learn techniques primarily from one hand first. So we can defend with one hand. If you can defend against two hands with one hand that means you always have a hand free to strike with. furthermore it ehnaches your hand techniques and prinicples so when you do utilzie both hands to defend your center line will be impentrable by those who do not know how to open doors.

But again your trainijng is different. We train to fight thugs in the streets. You train to fight other WC guys probably. I dont know or maybe mma guys.

AS for Stans Punch defense application i will have to look at that video again to see what you mean...But look at Stans video of SLT...it demostrates one handed defense again certain attacks!

You aren't really promoting this stuff as good are you? This is all a joke right?
    I saw the 'partner punching'/One handed San Shou freestyle you mention and it looks just as bad as kung fu stan's applications of punch defense. Sorry, but this clip has nothing to do with real fighting and has nothing to do with WCK.
    I hope they have very strong faith at that school, because they will need it if they think what they are doing actually works, because it won't.

Please don't tell me you also believe this is a real good example of someone busting out 150 pushups in 60 seconds to...
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Forgive my confusion but what exactly does this mean?

I will check the clips out later...
    Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    I had all ways wonder where the saying " Sh$t rolls down hill" comes about, now I'm SOOOO enlighten. Think I hear Mr. YKS rolling in his grave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Looks like someone having an epileptic seizure....

Good luck to him in his christian kung fu fusion. This has nothing to do with Wing Chun though, lacks centerline. No centerline = no wing chun.

I'll ignore the rest of the garbage. Defending with one hand and then working to two is like learning to swim with just your arms for 6 months and then adding the kicks with the feet afterwards. Makes no sense and is a waste of time.

BTW, WCK doesn't have 'blocks'

But again your trainijng is different. We train to fight thugs in the streets. You train to fight other WC guys probably. I dont know or maybe mma guys.
    Can't speak for everyone, but I train WCK to fight anyone - regardless the style. Yes, there are different tactics/strategies depending on what is in front of you, but in the end WCK is WCK regardless who you are fighting. The fact that you even think this way shows your lack of understanding.

AS for Stans Punch defense application i will have to look at that video again to see what you mean...But look at Stans video of SLT...it demostrates one handed defense again certain attacks!
    It looked just like the single arm 'blocking' nonsense you are talking about and what I saw in the clip you linked to in this thread. Like eric said, without Centerline, there's no WCK.
    As for Stan, I can't look at any of the garbage he does any more. I saw his slt and I don't know what or why he does what he does, but IMO he's not doing WCK.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 03-13-2012 at 02:23 PM.

I train to fight for my health and to maintain as much of the athletic ability as I can which deteriorates about 20% between the ages of 25 and 75 in a best case scenario. The opponents that come up as a result of those goals are secondary. I generally avoid thugs in the street, and don't frequent areas that contain a lot of those. If I am traveling in sketchy surroundings, I tend to migrate towards non-lethal and sometimes lethal options for personal protection, and the training that supports it - combat handgun and realistic knife training / etc. Hand-to-hand skills alone are inadequate in that environment and could lead to loss of health and life quickly.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "we train". From what I gather, you had a teenage group of Bruce Lee imitators back in the day that had sparring matches against other Bruce Lee imitators. This formed the basis of all your skill against thugs in the street. This is certainly supported by most of the video evidence you've presented.

The guy you've got presented in the videos seems to have a very low level of skill from a WCK perspective. He may be athletic, but I seriously doubt he mixes it up with fighters with a reasonable level of skill. There are plenty of those locally, but many times these guys mindset is making a living, not increasing skill levels.

The argument trying to discount athletic live training such as an MMA environment in favor of "street thugs" skills is ridiculous from every angle except for a weapons angle. If "street thugs" could make money fighting in a cage they would be doing that. They aren't, because they'd get destroyed. For example, look at Kimbo Slice. From a "street thug" perspective, absolutely devastating, the best, etc. YouTube had the buzz going for the guy and built up a cult following where he was the "street thug of street thugs". Put him in a scenario where ground skills are allowed, and he is easily handled by Roy Nelson, the fat MMA guy. If that were a street competition, Roy would have gotten the same takedowns and position, trapped the arm, and dropped elbows on Kimbo until he was unconscious. Unless there was a weapon or a mob of people jumping him to prevent it.

In reality, about 99% of "street thugs" are low-skilled punks trying to act hard.

In summary, reality is much different than the fantasy world you seem to live in.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 03-13-2012 at 03:42 PM.

1.As someone who actually took swimming classes. First you train the Feet by kicking off the Wall. Eventually you learn one hand strokes while holding the wall, Then you may start to use kick board to work on venturing out in shallow, also you learn how to float on your back doing the kicking. You also learn how to hold your breath under water while holding on to the wall. You dont just start swimming right away...you learn each indiviual part an then put them together slowly.

2.Ne way blocks or reidrection, or interception of attacks it means all the same to me. I say the word block because i like the term. It illustrates all the things you do when you tan sau, bil sau, bong sau etc. When you punch an i cut off your punch with a bong sau. I am interupting your flow of energy for a split second. There your ability to hit in that instance is blocked. When I tan sau, jum sau, gan sau or even huen sau depending on your posistioning i am redirecting. Bil Sau, Bong Sau, Pak sau, Gum Sau an other techniques are used for intercepting and cutting off your force. So in essence im blocking. The power comes from the wrist and twitch power or short power burst upon contact or impact of our limbs.

I say block because its a word i like...if u say wc doesnt have blocks thats nice...i dont care...imma call a bong sau a block...your right there are different strategem and tactics depending on who you fight. An when you fight someone new you have augment and adapt your WC for that world view. But let me digress. Im sorry if offended you in what i said. Im simply sharing the focus of One handed Techiques an the theory behind it.

3.As for center line. With our chi sau we dont maintain center because chi sau is about training sensitivty for us among other things. Prinicples such as center line we emphasis on the fighting. Our center line is protected with the Wu Sau guard to withstand entry and redirect contact force. Any way your idea of centerline and mines is totally different. To us the center line protection is not some static theory where you hold a pose. Centerline is forever moving because your in motion an your opponent is. Furthermore with straight sun punches we attack your centerline. Control your centre and center line with basic chin na techniques or what mcfield calls stand up grappling. the Grappling is also apart of our chi sau.

But if your only beef is the lack of centerline your estimation please post a video that can clearly shows the distinction between stan an what you feel he lacks in centerline!

I'll ignore the rest of the garbage. Defending with one hand and then working to two is like learning to swim with just your arms for 6 months and then adding the kicks with the feet afterwards. Makes no sense and is a waste of time.

BTW, WCK doesn't have 'blocks'

Can't speak for everyone, but I train WCK to fight anyone - regardless the style. Yes, there are different tactics/strategies depending on what is in front of you, but in the end WCK is WCK regardless who you are fighting. The fact that you even think this way shows your lack of understanding.

It looked just like the single arm 'blocking' nonsense you are talking about and what I saw in the clip you linked to in this thread. Like eric said, without Centerline, there's no WCK.
    As for Stan, I can't look at any of the garbage he does any more. I saw his slt and I don't know what or why he does what he does, but IMO he's not doing WCK.

Well thanks for your post. When i make the statment I made...i was only referring to people who usually have something negative to say. Not to all..sorry if your offended. i dont know what you do...ne way...as for when i was coming up...if i had a choice between someone trained and street thug to fight i think the train person in most cases would be better.

Most thugs on the street have some formal martial arts or boxing under their belt. Unlike trained fighters who are lifers an do most of their fighting in the kwoon or in competitions street thugs take what they know an apply it to the streets. Some thugs usually have about four to ten years of formal training in boxing, muay thai or some other thing back in those days. They usually started when they were young an by the time their twenty they would have had training from their teen years through adolscent years. Excuse me for bad spelling. But the street thug would have less compassion or mercy than someone who is still with a school an is indoctrinated with principles of righteousness.

ne way this can go back and forth an really be fruitless. I have seen some big guys in the streets with raw power. i seen some little guys in the streets with unbelieviable power. I seen these same people hand a butt whopping to a group of people by himself.

What im saying is true enough the majority of thugs dont have formal training just street fighting experience. But even that alone is enough for some. Some are just natural fighters. An the best way to learn to fight is by actually fighting. A person who teaches himself how to fight from day one that has real motivation to fight will tear up a MMA guy. An on any given day a MMA guy will tear up a good street fighter.

Just because you are trained doesn't mean a good street fighter cant whoop you. Some street fighters or thugs have encountered numerous martial artist and adapted their game accordingly.

Im just saying people think just because you practice something all the time doesn't mean someone with more actual fight experience wont whoop you. WC, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing will give you an advantage over most people. But even a golden glove boxer can get his hat handed to him by a seasoned street fighter on the wrong day. So can you!

As for backyard fighter Kimbo Slice. Yea he was an internet sensation because he was bareknuckle fighting...Kimbo Slice also got some Ground work training before he actually fought. So his game had changed long before he got in the ring. Look at his fight...he doesnt even move the same as he did with backyard brawlers. Plus the game is different. Fist or padded. You cant beat everyone. No MMA guy is unbeatable. If there were an unbeatable fighter out there he would be world renown...

As for Kimbo Slice even with his hands padded he stills beats some MMA guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2yM...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I train to fight for my health and to maintain as much of the athletic ability as I can which deteriorates about 20% between the ages of 25 and 75 in a best case scenario. The opponents that come up as a result of those goals are secondary. I generally avoid thugs in the street, and don't frequent areas that contain a lot of those. If I am traveling in sketchy surroundings, I tend to migrate towards non-lethal and sometimes lethal options for personal protection, and the training that supports it - combat handgun and realistic knife training / etc. Hand-to-hand skills alone are inadequate in that environment and could lead to loss of health and life quickly.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to when you say "we train". From what I gather, you had a teenage group of Bruce Lee imitators back in the day that had sparring matches against other Bruce Lee imitators. This formed the basis of all your skill against thugs in the street. This is certainly supported by most of the video evidence you've presented.

The guy you've got presented in the videos seems to have a very low level of skill from a WCK perspective. He may be athletic, but I seriously doubt he mixes it up with fighters with a reasonable level of skill. There are plenty of those locally, but many times these guys mindset is making a living, not increasing skill levels.

The argument trying to discount athletic live training such as an MMA environment in favor of "street thugs" skills is ridiculous from every angle except for a weapons angle. If "street thugs" could make money fighting in a cage they would be doing that. They aren't, because they'd get destroyed. For example, look at Kimbo Slice. From a "street thug" perspective, absolutely devastating, the best, etc. YouTube had the buzz going for the guy and built up a cult following where he was the "street thug of street thugs". Put him in a scenario where ground skills are allowed, and he is easily handled by Roy Nelson, the fat MMA guy. If that were a street competition, Roy would have gotten the same takedowns and position, trapped the arm, and dropped elbows on Kimbo until he was unconscious. Unless there was a weapon or a mob of people jumping him to prevent it.

In reality, about 99% of "street thugs" are low-skilled punks trying to act hard.

In summary, reality is much different than the fantasy world you seem to live in.

Right dude seriously. "street thugs" are not good fighters, not even a little bit. I'm willing to bet in a fight between GSP and a 250 weightlifting "street thug" that GSP wins every single time. Why? BECAUSE HE TRAINS TO FIGHT.

STFU and train!

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    I'm willing to bet in a fight between GSP and a 250 weightlifting "street thug" that GSP wins every single time. Why? BECAUSE HE TRAINS TO FIGHT.
    I think this depends on what you meant by "fight".

Sports fighter trains for the most part to be a sports fighter. I think physically (speed, power, agility, fast reaction, etc) he will excel against a common street fighter/thug. But I think the street fighter also has an advantage in his mindset, to fight “dirty” by default, intent to really hurt, lack of sportsmanship and not fighting fair, etc. I personally would rather fight a blackbelt, MMA guy than mess with homeless, rugby sniffing boys, pickpockets and snatchers in the streets. It’s the thug’s mindset, intent in hurting people without any conscience and how they can be so “creative” in achieving it that scares me more than anything else.