Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuen Kay San Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    3.As for center line. With our chi sau we dont maintain center because chi sau is about training sensitivty for us among other things.
    If you don't maintain centerline and center of gravity, I don't care what you call it, it's not wing chun.

To us the center line protection is not some static theory where you hold a pose.
    Centerline is forever moving because your in motion an your opponent is.
    I never said it was a static pose, you did. You are wrong about always moving center. That is a bad idea when it comes to WC.

But if your only beef is the lack of centerline your estimation please post a video that can clearly shows the distinction between stan an what you feel he lacks in centerline!
    No need, you can compare him to video of any WC master (Ip Chun, Ip Ching, Moy Yat, William Cheung, etc) and see the difference.

mimic-ing YKS wc does not make it YKS. Compare this with Sum Nun's motions.

joy c

Quote Originally Posted by free2flow View Post
    I think this depends on what you meant by "fight".

Sports fighter trains for the most part to be a sports fighter. I think physically (speed, power, agility, fast reaction, etc) he will excel against a common street fighter/thug. But I think the street fighter also has an advantage in his mindset, to fight “dirty” by default, intent to really hurt, lack of sportsmanship and not fighting fair, etc. I personally would rather fight a blackbelt, MMA guy than mess with homeless, rugby sniffing boys, pickpockets and snatchers in the streets. It’s the thug’s mindset, intent in hurting people without any conscience and how they can be so “creative” in achieving it that scares me more than anything else.
    There is nothing holding me back from fighting dirty, and indeed I would if I had to, and I consider myself a practitioner of MMA.

You shouldn't be scared of crackheads, you should be scared of crackheads with guns.

Okay thanks for your reply. it is what is...I simply share the origins where the stuff comes from. I rather claim Eddie Mau or Robert McField especially since he is the guy who was busting heads back in the day with his WC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    mimic-ing YKS wc does not make it YKS. Compare this with Sum Nun's motions.

joy c

Chadders A person who trains to fight but has only had three real fights outside of controlled enviornment is way different than some one who has fought one hundred times from the time he was a child on up to forty years...

a person who fights all the time and boxes to train his skill is going to be a tough cookie to manage...

Dont be mistaken. Even street fighters trained. They run, they do push ups and sit ups every day, They do open chest punching contest with hood friends, They bench press to the max, they train with other people by boxing and slap boxing.

An they also fight people on a regular basis. Maybe just because someone stepped on their new Michael Jordan Nikes.

But im mean im confident in my training...more importantly im confident because of scaps i have had in the past...The average joe who doesn't do any thing who might get drunk an start swinging aimlessly for no reason might not be competition. But an Ex Friend of mines i went to school with who did Muay Thai in high school and junior high would be a very bad cat to meet when he needs some money an you encounter him in the city!

I know of a guy who has a twenty year bid in prison right now. At penetentary for armed robbery. He is very skilled at Hung Gar...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    There is nothing holding me back from fighting dirty, and indeed I would if I had to, and I consider myself a practitioner of MMA.

You shouldn't be scared of crackheads, you should be scared of crackheads with guns.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I personally would rather fight a blackbelt, MMA guy than mess with homeless, rugby sniffing boys, pickpockets and snatchers in the streets. It’s the thug’s mindset, intent in hurting people without any conscience and how they can be so “creative” in achieving it that scares me more than anything else.
    False dichotomy. Some people like BJ Penn easily span your non existent divide between MMA fighter, black belt and street brawler.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post

Yes, I understand what you're saying.

But I'm still more cautious with thugs because generally speaking they're the ones that could take the "fight" to the extremes.

I once heard in the new, a professional boxer fought and defeated 10 people, nobody died or went to hospital. Then I also hear on news a boxer seriously hurt and landed in hospital a stab of barb-que stick in the body by a single person.

yes, guns. one example when i said "creative" ways.

besides, MMA guys like you are typically nice guys .

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    False dichotomy. Some people like BJ Penn easily span your non existent divide between MMA fighter, black belt and street brawler.
    I understand where you're coming from and I agree, from your point of view.

Anyway, last sunday on our BJJ class the instructor had a drill 2 guys grapple in order to get towards a knife. As I mentioed earlier, the purple belt won EASILY. But here's what I noticed, his first attack was to control the other guy and even though he has the knife in his hands, he didn't use it to stab the guy multiple times. Not sure of the exact reason of his initial action once he got hold of the knife. Maybe because he was thinking it's just a drill, or he's a nice decent guy and his good moral values stopped him to do some actions to hurt the guy. I don't know, maybe both.

I still think, mindset/attitude/intentions/lack of morality make thugs very dangerous.

I have to agree...there are some street fighters who would not be able to handle a black belt or mma fighter...an there are some champions and title holders who would get they tail whooped by a really good street fighter...

Not all street fighters are the best...

Not all MMA guys are the Best....

Sometimes it depends on three things like someone else has stated

1.heart - who wants it the most who is most relentless and aggressive

2.skill - power, strength, speed, accuracy, timing etc

3.experience - who has the fought more in a uncontrolled environment
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Sigh ...

Street thugs don't look for fights or try to beat people in them, they look for easy targets they can intimidate and/or subdue.

The notion of a street thug confronting a "trained fighter" in a faceoff is completely ridiculous.

more like a tyre iron to the head or blade to the kidney while an accomplice asks the "trained fighter" for the time.

There isn't a martial art on earth that can deal with a shotgun blast while you're getting out of a car.

Martial skill is one of the least important attributes where surviving a violent crime is concerned.

So can we stop all this "my neighbourhood can lick your neighbourhood" and other forms of d!ck measuring?

Anyway, last sunday on our BJJ class the instructor had a drill 2 guys grapple in order to get towards a knife. As I mentioed earlier, the purple belt won EASILY. But here's what I noticed, his first attack was to control the other guy and even though he has the knife in his hands, he didn't use it to stab the guy multiple times. Not sure of the exact reason of his initial action once he got hold of the knife. Maybe because he was thinking it's just a drill, or he's a nice decent guy and his good moral values stopped him to do some actions to hurt the guy.
    A single anecdote does not a statistical or scientific study make. It describes the actions of one purple belt in a contrived situation, albeit interesting. If he subdued the guy easily, he didn't need to stab him multiple times and would probably have had an interesting time in court and perhaps jail if he did so in a real situation.

I've been doing BJJ for about 12 years, but I wouldn't go to a BJJ instructor to learn about knife fighting (unless, like one of mine, he was also a black belt in arnis and had been teaching it for about ten years).
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Sigh ...

Street thugs don't look for fights or try to beat people in them, they look for easy targets they can intimidate and/or subdue.

The notion of a street thug confronting a "trained fighter" in a faceoff is completely ridiculous.

more like a tyre iron to the head or blade to the kidney while an accomplice asks the "trained fighter" for the time.

There isn't a martial art on earth that can deal with a shotgun blast while you're getting out of a car.

Martial skill is one of the least important attributes where surviving a violent crime is concerned.

So can we stop all this "my neighbourhood can lick your neighbourhood" and other forms of d!ck measuring?

A single anecdote does not a statistical or scientific study make. It describes the actions of one purple belt in a contrived situation, albeit interesting. If he subdued the guy easily, he didn't need to stab him multiple times and would probably have had an interesting time in court and perhaps jail if he did so in a real situation.

I've been doing BJJ for about 12 years, but I wouldn't go to a BJJ instructor to learn about knife fighting (unless, like one of mine, he was also a black belt in arnis and had been teaching it for about ten years).
    QFT. All of it.

People always assume street thugs always go for easy targets...Well you got street thugs with the popular Napolean complex who sometimes are good fighters an pick on guys twice their size. True enough they may even sucker punch some one bigger than them. Or maybe your even in size.

But a street thug when he attacks is not gonna asked you..."so do you do martial arts", or "hey dude you a train fighter, Oh, No huh, okay attack him now he doesnt know that stuff"

lol he might be attacking you for cash, he might be attacking you because you step on his nikes, he might be attacking you because he doesn't like how you look, he might be attacking you for color you have on, he might be attacking you just because one of his buddies told him to or made a bet with him. He might be attacking you because he high out his mind an wanna get his rocks off. In either case if he is desperate enough you being weak target aint gonna mean nothing to him. Especially if he is 6'8" like my buddy...Aint too many people who wont be weak targets to him...not that he is in to that sorta life style because he is not...im speaking in general...

Sigh ...

People always assume street thugs always go for easy targets...Well you got street thugs with the popular Napolean complex who sometimes are good fighters an pick on guys twice their size. True enough they may even sucker punch some one bigger than them. Or maybe your even in size.
    "sucker punch" implies the target is not expecting a fight or attack. Sort of alluding to my post.

But a street thug when he attacks is not gonna asked you..."so do you do martial arts", or "hey dude you a train fighter, Oh, No huh, okay attack him now he doesnt know that stuff"
    No sh!t, Sherlock Jeez, your experience with multiple streetfights and friendships with STL street thugs and other assorted lunatics has really taught you a LOT!

lol he might be attacking you for cash, he might be attacking you because you step on his nikes, he might be attacking you because he doesn't like how you look, he might be attacking you for color you have on, he might be attacking you just because one of his buddies told him to or made a bet with him. He might be attacking you because he high out his mind an wanna get his rocks off. In either case if he is desperate enough you being weak target aint gonna mean nothing to him.
    Or he might be attacking you because you write really stupid stuff on KFO and start repeated troll threads on a wide variety of subjects. SFW?

Sigh ...

First thing, I'm really not trying convince you or anybody. It was just an observation that I would like to share. That's all.
    Anyway, actually the BJJ guy is not teaching knife. What we have is a 3 hour class with three arts taught by different instructors. One guys teach BJJ, I teach FMA single stick and other person handles FMA knife. Our goal to share ideas, determine strong points and vulnerabilities of each art that we primarily do. In my case, it's really helpful and gave me a chance to see how I can be countered by a BJJ and a knife fighter and adjust my ways of doings things.

Let's just agree or agree to disagree .
    Last edited by free2flow; 03-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Your so right...you win my friend...you know it all...thanks for correcting me!!!

"sucker punch" implies the target is not expecting a fight or attack. Sort of alluding to my post.

No sh!t, Sherlock Jeez, your experience with multiple streetfights and friendships with STL street thugs and other assorted lunatics has really taught you a LOT!

Or he might be attacking you because you write really stupid stuff on KFO and start repeated troll threads on a wide variety of subjects. SFW?