Thread: New Wushu Compulsories

New Wushu Compulsories

I've started seeing some rumors (and alleged videos) popping up. Does anyone know if there is official word on this?
    The timing would be about right...every 10 years or so.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    they raise the difficulty level each time, first there were ariels, then with a twist, I suspect flying would be next.....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Compulsory never goes too far.

Backfire big time already.

the first time I saw the compulsory for tong bei and mantis

I almost puked.

so long fist generic or derivative

wushu compulsory never leaves or goes too far from being long fist routines.

sad. sad. sad.

by the way, no body is doing tong bei, pi gua, ba ji or mantis compulsory.

because, they are all watered down from old postures.

they are modified too drastically

---

wire work is next.

so you were pretty close TT.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There are a lot of rumors

Changes seem imminent. The rumors are mostly based on videos and gossip coming out of China, plus a lot of conjecture. There's discussion of a complete overhaul which might bring changquan more in line with the original five northern styles, possibly parallel to developments they have been pushing in the duan system (see my 2010 November/December cover story Making the Grade), as well as the growing market for traditional competitions. Nothing is for sure, however. We'll see....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

They should judge by how well you can apply your moves in combat, not by how flowery and embroidered they are. Sickening indeed.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

If the wushu routines do not stick with the plain and old postures ? that is the big question.

If the wushu routines want to add difficulties or nan du with air borne stuff?

People may watch peking opera.

They learn how to tumble in the air and jump thru loops all the time.

Think about it.

---

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dcMSxyW1I

monkey king is the best to watch.

Great.

first there were ariels, then with a twist, I suspect flying would be next.....
    Yes, trapezes coming up in wushu compulsories, mmm....

thanks gene - you always have a knack for answering the question that was asked.

That's my job, Krist.

I've found out some more, although nothing is firm, so keep this in mind with whatever rumors I pass along on this. You know how the IWuF can be.

Last week, we met with Wang Peikun, a 9 duan who is a big proponent of traditional and folk styles, as well as a significant shaper of modern wushu. He gave us some of the inside scoop.

There is a definite trend towards moving back towards traditional. The impact of nandu is to be reduced meaning less required nandu in each taolu and lower score values. For PRC athletes to participate in wushu taolu competitions on the upper levels, they are to be required to have participated in a traditional competition. I'm not sure if they will just have to show or if they have to place. I also don't know if this is planned for municipal or provincial, but definitely national. Minimum requirements for traditional techniques will be put into place. Also, remember Sandawang? Get ready for Taoluwang. More info to come. Stay tuned...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart