Thread: What happened to actual conversation about this system we call WC, VT, WT?

What happened to actual conversation about this system we call WC, VT, WT?

Is it just me or has of late the actual talk of WC theory and/or technique made this forum rather boring? I think the whole sparring, real pressure testing malarkey always makes this forum incredibly dry. No talk of the art or actual system means no WC forum.... ....and Yoshi doesn't help either.....

I agree with you. It's tough, because the conversation, when it does go in that direction, doesn't seem to stay there for very long.

So, what ya in the mood to talk about?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Agree !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Is it just me or has of late the actual talk of WC theory and/or technique made this forum rather boring?
    This forum has always had a mixture of WC theory, technique, application (including sparring), and history elements. And most of the time it involves arguing over one or more of those topics as the WC community is family/lineage driven and marginally political.

I would say it's just you. If you're bored, then start an exciting conversation. Or browse some other forum that captures your attention. Or I suppose you could whine about it, but how productive is that?
    I think the whole sparring, real pressure testing malarkey always makes this forum incredibly dry.
    You mean because you don't do any of that and thus rationalize that you don't need pressure testing to ensure quality in your art? Don't worry, you're not alone.
    No talk of the art or actual system means no WC forum.... ....and Yoshi doesn't help either.....
    Yes, Yoshi seems to have found a new venue for obtaining attention - by posting a large volume of basically troll content thread starters.

So what do you propose to do to fix it? As I see it you have three choices:

1) Whine
    2) Contribute with high quality content and interesting new threads.
    3) Leave

While I can understand your viewpoint, I'm a pragmatist.

Is it just me or has of late the actual talk of WC theory and/or technique made this forum rather boring? I think the whole sparring, real pressure testing malarkey always makes this forum incredibly dry. No talk of the art or actual system means no WC forum.... ....and Yoshi doesn't help either.....
    So how can we make the Forum more interesting?

Me and my friends have some ideas down below but I doubt you'll be interested!!!

Disclaimer: No real trolls were harmed in the making of this post.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    So how can we make the Forum more interesting?

Me and my friends have some ideas down below but I doubt you'll be interested!!!

Disclaimer: No real trolls were harmed in the making of this post.

Well, I would say that you are off to a fair start. I have noticed that the best threads are started by people that are new, or just starting out in Wing Chun, or maybe even just curious about it and ask questions. They get a lot of really good responses too. The problem with a forum like this is that between regular members, there is very little that they can explain or demonstrate to one another. There may be differences in the lineages, but by and large the basics remain fairly consistant with one another. Preaching to the choir so to speak. We need a bunch more newbies pop in so we can see some honest threads.
    You know, I think what Yoshi is doing is just trying to get lots of threads rolling so that the forum will wake up and discuss.
    Jackie Lee

Yes its a little dead...I look forward to new discussions...but unfortunately there is rarely anything of quality outside of few people who make some good threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Well, I would say that you are off to a fair start. I have noticed that the best threads are started by people that are new, or just starting out in Wing Chun, or maybe even just curious about it and ask questions. They get a lot of really good responses too. The problem with a forum like this is that between regular members, there is very little that they can explain or demonstrate to one another. There may be differences in the lineages, but by and large the basics remain fairly consistant with one another. Preaching to the choir so to speak. We need a bunch more newbies pop in so we can see some honest threads.
    You know, I think what Yoshi is doing is just trying to get lots of threads rolling so that the forum will wake up and discuss.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I see your trolls and raise you a tattoo....
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Im out i will have to fold...

Darn that kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I see your trolls and raise you a tattoo....

As I see it, this forum hasn't changed much in the last 12 years. The same old debates go on and on. There is always so much logic and theory going around that it has somehow managed to muddle up the common sense that Wing Chun was based upon. "You can do this, but you cant do that because it wouldn't be Wing Chun." "My Wing Chun does this." "My SiFu taught me that." This board is a reflectiion of what Wing Chun is today - a dysfunctional family. it's no wonder that so many other MA's talk smack about Wing Chun. I wish it could change, but I also wish that I could win the Mega Millions. Probably win the lottery first.

As I only come on to this forum every so often, I will now challenge myself to think of a topic that no one else might have discussed before.

Peter
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    As I see it, this forum hasn't changed much in the last 12 years. The same old debates go on and on. There is always so much logic and theory going around that it has somehow managed to muddle up the common sense that Wing Chun was based upon. "You can do this, but you cant do that because it wouldn't be Wing Chun." "My Wing Chun does this." "My SiFu taught me that." This board is a reflectiion of what Wing Chun is today - a dysfunctional family. it's no wonder that so many other MA's talk smack about Wing Chun. I wish it could change, but I also wish that I could win the Mega Millions. Probably win the lottery first.

As I only come on to this forum every so often, I will now challenge myself to think of a topic that no one else might have discussed before.

Peter
    wow 12 years really...wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    wow 12 years really...wow...
    Yup. All the old guys who were on this board got designated 1970 start dates at some point when (I think) they changed hosts? Used to be on it a lot. Now I jump on every few months or so, till I get frustrated. Don't get me wrong, it's probably the best kung fu forum on the planet. I just wish we could all virtually fight each other. LOL! Too many armchair warriors here. I have made a few good friend here.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

Quote Originally Posted by mun hung View Post
    Yup. All the old guys who were on this board got designated 1970 start dates at some point when (I think) they changed hosts? Used to be on it a lot. Now I jump on every few months or so, till I get frustrated. Don't get me wrong, it's probably the best kung fu forum on the planet. I just wish we could all virtually fight each other. LOL! Too many armchair warriors here. I have made a few good friend here.
    i feel the same as you bro...funny ha ha...

yea they do kinda act silly...when i get some money together im an get an open sparring comeptiton started an many of the knuckleheads are invited for free to attend an fight....just so i can be in a match up with them!

Arrow

Is it just me or has of late the actual talk of WC theory and/or technique made this forum rather boring? I think the whole sparring, real pressure testing malarkey always makes this forum incredibly dry.
    I dont think it's talk about sparring /pressure testing. If anything, that's one of the better things being discussed because it can only really help us as martial artists. People who think it's not beneficial or bad for training are falling to a double standards imo. Same with cross training. Those discussions have always been great imo.

I feel that around 30% of the posts here are pretty insightful. Some have even helped me improve my kung fu a lot simply because even if I'm myself am not a Sifu, any new idea I see here is one I can mention to my sifu/sisook in conversation and learn about from the perspective of my family. Which is awesome.

The real problem imo is the amount of people willing to say that other people's use of Ving Tsun is wrong. Not to mention the fact that none of these people have posted videos or done anything to make their opinions more credible than the people they argue with. To make matters worse, pretty much everyone will agree that "Ving Tsun can be applied in diff ways" due to all the diff lineages and methods, yet they go back to arguing about whats not Ving Tsun as soon as another thread opens up lol. I know for certain that the main thing limiting my posts is that I dont want to waste time arguing that the way I've used and tested my kung fu is not "real." Especially since most of those objections go along the lines of "your wrong because i said so and im right."
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...