Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Traditional in MMA

Banning Traditional in MMA

A funny column on Bleacher Report today.
    UFC and MMA Debates: Should Traditional Martial Arts Be Banned?
    By Dale De Souza
    (Featured Columnist) on March 14, 2012

No martial arts should ever be banned from a sport that calls itself "Mixed Martial Arts."

Contrary to what the opening piece to the first episode of "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" says, the sport of Mixed Martial Arts is more than just Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling.

When it first started, the sport wasn't even seen as Mixed Martial Arts at all, because all that was included in the "mix" was a roster full of fighters who were "one-dimensional" by today's standard, but who also excelled in their primary style of fighting.

Nowadays, the game has changed to where more styles are accompanying a fighter's primary "base" style of fighting, and while a fighter might get away with adjusting to wherever the fight goes, he won't get away with only working with one or two styles of fighting, unless he's worked hard enough in those two areas in order to prevent fights from reaching a certain area of combat.

Aside from the cross-training, fighters are using various styles like Karate, Judo, and even the Cambodian art of Bokator in order to create or expand their skill sets.

Not only that, but also especially in the case of Bokator and Karate, fighters are either taking skills from arts that were presumptuously ineffective for MMA or taking skills from arts that were initially not designed for the Octagon, and they're finding ways to make those styles work effectively inside the heat of an MMA fight.

The same negative connotations that once surrounded Bokator and Karate, especially Shotokan Karate and Kyokushin Karate, are now applied to other traditional martial arts around the world, and it creates a clear uncertainty as to whether some styles can work effectively in MMA, but why ban them?

Is it because their purest forms are seen as too deadly for the cage, or is it because they really are more ineffective inside the cage than some want us to think they already are in real life, or is it because the skeptics are too afraid to see a style in action, knowing fully well that it will prove somewhat effective in MMA?

There is no certain reason, it seems, but unless I am incorrect, they do call this sport "Mixed Martial Arts",and although the new school runs the roost, is that any excuse to permanently bury the traditional martial arts, knowing full well that each discipline of the martial arts contains at least one technique that can be used in MMA legally and effectively?

Last time I checked, there's no valid reason to ban the traditional martial arts, because once you ban one martial arts discipline, how can you have a true "mix" of disciplines in a sport where every unique fighting style yearns to be represented for all to see and enjoy?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One wonders if this person knows that Judo, Boxing and MT ( and yes in BJJ to a certain degree) are all TMA.
    Since when did kyokushin ever have a "negative connotation" in MMA ??
    And where on earth did this "ban" notion come from ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

seriously, that guy doesnt know what hes talking bout lol. he must be new
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

looked him up, hes been a mma columnist for 1 year....came from wwe and wwf....it all makes sense now....hes primarily a pro wrestling guy...i wonder if he thinks that its real?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks for the background check - that explains a lot

I was fairly befuddled by the article, but figured it might make for some decent posts here....perhaps some indecent ones too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

What is Squirrel?

Squirrel is basically a start standing thing. Not Gym Mixed Martial Arts. It's more a way of breathing but might not be considered Qi Gong by the Mainstream Qigongers. Squirrel doesn't have the history to be actually considered a Kung-Fu alongside the well established...Hung Gar, T'ien Shan Pai, O-Mei, Shao-Lin, T'aijiquan, Pa Kua,..Squirrel..If I can't reightly call it a Kung-Fu How would it be billed in a MmA Tournament?

Is Squirel traditional because I came-up with it (made it up)? Would traditional be in a category with that tagline?

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Who is actually debating this? I can't see anyone banning tma from mma . It's a retarded thought.

Also, to keep a fight in one range you have to study the other ranges and can not "master" keeping away from those ranges. Like a guy wants to keep standing against a wrestler, he uses his wrestling to stay standing then pushes off and tees off. If you want to avoid getting elbowed in the face by MT cats then you need to practice against MT cats which means you are training MT, at least in part. A singular style is defined by how it handles another of the same style, but cross training changes that. When you train against an opponent of a diff style you are cross training. Just because you aren't actively seeking moves from that style and are instead learning to defend against that style it doesn't mean you aren't learning from that style. Does that make sense?

Oh and....

No Know, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    No prob. Makes sense, Syn7, that it doesn't make sense. Possiblly not over all important.

I was interested to have my own Kung-Fu--attack-defense techniques, a set of fighting principles, philosophy, weapons and a form, done with a framework of an animal. I did come-up with something but there are ties to the real Kung-fu community and I don't dare to call My Whatever a Kung-Fu nor a Qigong, because those have history behind them and I'm not really a branch. So respecting traditional Kung-Fus too much to call Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu attempt, Squirrel- a Kung-Fu; how would it be announced in the UFC sorta thing?--And Now! a Squirrel practitioner??? O.K.Note: I was advised against doing tough man competitions when I was younger (thirties), and am not prone to make the effort to perform in the UFC, although I would train someone who was interested and able to try-out or go--I'm in the Frederick, MD-Charles Town, WV-Hagerstown, MD-Martinsburg, WV area. See if someome using Squirrel methodologies progresses.Though not a true guage unless its about always winning or making a respectible showing.

It seems to me that a suggestion that so called traditional martial arts be banned from the major MMA venue(s) could be based on an matter of having a sufficient base tof similar plaers to support themselves.

Also or along the line that, devoted-mainline dedicated, if-you-would, Traditional styles, have had a poor showing compared to the greater volume of considered Modern Mixed Martial Arts-ish that might flood the events.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 03-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Money will be the deciding factor on which way MMA goes....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Banning taditional where most of the techniques come from? Makes no sense at all. Maybe this guy should go back to the dramatic world of pro wrestling.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

How precisely would you ban it anyway? Couldnt a say, karate stylist just enter and say he knows kick boxing and get away with it?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

TCMA isnt banned from these events, it just doesnt wamt to take part lol

The only way MMA regulates itself is by asking for a fight record and some of the better organisations hold camps for prospective fighters, as long as you can hold your own standing and on the ground and show you wont get killed they will allow you to take part

From a marketing point of view for an MMA organisation getting TCMA invloved makes good financial sense as it openes up a whole new market and brings in more spectators

Nowadays, the game has changed to where more styles are accompanying a fighter's primary "base" style of fighting, and while a fighter might get away with adjusting to wherever the fight goes, he won't get away with only working with one or two styles of fighting, unless he's worked hard enough in those two areas in order to prevent fights from reaching a certain area of combat.
    Luckily if you are taught correctly Kung fu covers all modes of fighting. Striking, Kicking, Throwing, and Gripping so there is no need to cross train into BJJ, Boxing, or Muay Thai, etc.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Neeros View Post
    Luckily if you are taught correctly Kung fu covers all modes of fighting. Striking, Kicking, Throwing, and Gripping so there is no need to cross train into BJJ, Boxing, or Muay Thai, etc.
    did i see a delorean just go past in a blaze of lightening? have we time warped back to the 80's

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Brings back memories. That it does.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.