Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banning Traditional in MMA

Wow, MMA complaining about CMA guys showing up in their forum making derogatory remarks?

I'm sure the MMA guys would never do that to the CMA guys, say, like in a Kung Fu forum.

BTW, they should ban all martial arts from MMA. Then everyone has to fight with their own made up moves WITHOUT TAKING FROM ANY EXISTING STYLES. That should work out really well.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 03-29-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I think Frost is saying that you don't spar from the way you write. It's similar to when a vegan tries to convince you that the crap they put in front of you tastes better than the real thing and is more nutritious than the real thing. That it doesn't taste like cardboard.
    Not once did he say DJ sparred or not. He said he can tell who doesn't by their skills and sometimes by their words. Why would you assume he was saying DJ doesn't spar?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    And what martial arts do you mix?

Boxing = traditional

Muay Thai = traditional

Wrestling = traditional

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu = traditional

What makes a martial art "traditional"? The simple fact of passing information/beliefs down generation to generation.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tradition?s=t

It doesn't matter if an art is practiced for the purpose of health, self defense, confidence, sport or any other reason if it has rituals and is passed down to the next generation, it is by definition a "traditional" martial art.

The problem I run into with most practitioners is they don't know the history and origins of what they are training in.
    You act like he disputes that? WTF?
    Why do people always assume people mean things they never wrote? What the fukc is wrong with people these days. Geeeeeeeeez....

It's like you're arguing with your own misguided imagination. You crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Look's like David won.
    Won what? A BJ from you for being superawesomecoolguycanibelikeyouplease?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Wow, MMA complaining about CMA guys showing up in their forum making derogatory remarks?

I'm sure the MMA guys would never do that to the CMA guys, say, like in a Kung Fu forum.

BTW, they should ban all martial arts from MMA. Then everyone has to fight with their own made up moves WITHOUT TAKING FROM ANY EXISTING STYLES. That should work out really well.
    OK first off, nobody with any sort of a mind ever said anything remotely resembling the idea of banning TMA from MMA. It's a retarded thought from a retarded person.

Second, Nobody has bashed TMA here. NOBODY. The only people bashed here are folks who don't train properly and think they can fight based on some weird faith that they are good despite never actually having met any sort of real resistance. That goes for MMA guys just as much as it goes for TMA guys. I've met MMA guys that spend 6 months in a gym and actually believe they are deadly because they do well in a controlled situation with others of a similar beginner level. I see that in MMA and TMA.

It absolutely amazes me when somebody talks about how great of a fighter they are but have never actually fought anybody. To me that is just plain crazy. That's like reading a medical text then believing you can do surgery. Just plain dumb.

One last thing. When people use the term TMA they do not mean traditional in the dictionary definition sense that you proposed. They are referring to long standing traditions, not simple one gen to the next. If that was what defined TMA then every single MMA cat that trains pure MMA hybrid from day one is practicing TMA coz it came as a whole from a teacher to the student. That simply isn't what people mean when they say TMA. And when it comes to words what is important is intent as opposed to what is actually said. How often do people say things wrong but you know what they mean and don't take it literally because you have the brainpower to distinguish between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Not once did he say DJ sparred or not. He said he can tell who doesn't by their skills and sometimes by their words. Why would you assume he was saying DJ doesn't spar?
    Get a grip dude. I'm not sure what frost was saying but I'm pretty sure dj interpreted his comments wrong. I just stated what I thought frost meant. I don't know anything about dj's training.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i said do MMA, the actual sport
    I know. I was sincerely asking a question and starting a new conversation.

Won what? A BJ from you for being superawesomecoolguycanibelikeyouplease?
    Wow dude, you really need to consider cutting back on the caffeine.

And no, you can't be like me. There are only so many Super Awesome Cool Guys allowed in the world at one time and I'm sorry to say you just don't make the cut.

Taking an internet martial arts forum seriously is a major fail in itself.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    the above is a classic example of what im talking in regards to how a classic insecure non sparring mouth boxer might should thankyou
    what are you going on about?
    are you thick or something?

oh wait, never mind, I'm talking to a wrestler who thinks he's superior to everyone here because he rolls on a mat!

of course.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    So...do you spar on a regular basis or not? I don't really care. I'm just asking.
    Of course. Why wouldn't I? I practice martial arts, it's all part and parcel.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

but the real question is; what does practicing martial arts have to do with sailing? besides footing!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    but the real question is; what does practicing martial arts have to do with sailing? besides footing!
    Obscure terminology? Fore, aft, port, starboard, head, deck and so on.

Actually my primary martial art comes from a nautical background.

USMC baby. Semper Fi!

The Super Awesome Cool Guy.
    Last edited by m1k3; 03-30-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    It's the spar thing.

speaking of which, I have a session at 1:30.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    what are you going on about?
    are you thick or something?

oh wait, never mind, I'm talking to a wrestler who thinks he's superior to everyone here because he rolls on a mat!

of course.

who said im only a wrestler? again your insecurities are showing

to be fair i might have implied that when i said he should leave the forum to people who spar and do MMA lol