Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banning Traditional in MMA

what? my double daggers are totally traditional!

So are my flexible weapons!

All traditional, zero sporting about it.

Kung Fu is cool that way.

YOu wanna box? GTFO, I'll cut you!

remember that Sammy Franco guy anyone?

dude: "what if I came to your school and challenged you?"
    sammy "I'd answer my door with a shotgun".

THAT is reality based self defense. Guy was a total d-bag, but actually cut through the whole sport fighting chest pounding crap and got to the root of actual fighting.

There is no safety net. You don't know if there is a weapon. If you don't have a weapon you should get one. Tussling is for kids.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

THAT is reality based self defense. Guy was a total d-bag, but actually cut through the whole sport fighting chest pounding crap and got to the root of actual fighting.

There is no safety net. You don't know if there is a weapon. If you don't have a weapon you should get one. Tussling is for kids.
    way to point that out on the mixed martial arts forum ...maybe you should just stick to the other forums im sure they are missing your wisdom.....us guys that actually spar and do MMA will be fine without you

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    way to point that out on the mixed martial arts forum ...maybe you should just stick to the other forums im sure they are missing your wisdom.....us guys that actually spar and do MMA will be fine without you
    "actually" spar.

You think people don't spar in traditional schools? really?

maybe you should mind your headgear and make sure it's the right size.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what is this spar thing?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what is this spar thing?
    It's like a mast or a boom. Used for sailing.
    true story!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's like a mast or a boom. Used for sailing.
    true story!

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You've never cut anyone. We both know you don't have the juice for that. Don't front. There is playing swords and then there is actually cutting somebody. Having the ability is just a formality. A dude intent on cutting you down with a sword but never trained is a hell of a lot scarier than some middle aged whiteboy wearing silks and swinging a piece of sheet metal.

Any of you guys practice western styles of edged and pointed weapons? I could mos def get into playing swords for sport. Fencing is fresh. I think I prefer saber over foil. Épée too. Saber Épée then Foil in that order.

Sport combat is one thing but when it comes to street combat I think I would just carry a gun. If I was worried about my safety I wouldn't even bother fighting. I always have a blade on me. I use it for all kinds of stuff every day, but it can be an effective weapon too. It takes alot more than most people think to actually do that sort of harm to somebody no matter the circumstances. Even in the grips of death a lot of folks would, at the very least, hesitate slightly.

"actually" spar.

i know people spar in TCMA, but ts normally easy to spot those that dont...they always talk about the deadliness of the street...about how sports fighting is useless for that venue etc etc....how they would simple use a knife to negate all a sports fighters skill set..... its not hard to spot someone full of it
    Last edited by Frost; 03-28-2012 at 11:59 PM.

"actually" spar.

I think Frost is saying that you don't spar from the way you write. It's similar to when a vegan tries to convince you that the crap they put in front of you tastes better than the real thing and is more nutritious than the real thing. That it doesn't taste like cardboard.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 03-29-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    And what martial arts do you mix?

Boxing = traditional

Muay Thai = traditional

Wrestling = traditional

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu = traditional

What makes a martial art "traditional"? The simple fact of passing information/beliefs down generation to generation.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tradition?s=t

It doesn't matter if an art is practiced for the purpose of health, self defense, confidence, sport or any other reason if it has rituals and is passed down to the next generation, it is by definition a "traditional" martial art.

The problem I run into with most practitioners is they don't know the history and origins of what they are training in.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I think Frost is saying that you don't spar from the way you write. It's similar to when a vegan tries to convince you that the crap they put in front of you tastes better than the real thing and is more nutritious than the real thing. That it doesn't taste like cardboard.

Uh, that's retarded. lol

I hold a juvenile boxing record have been practicing Martial Arts probably longer than the dude has been alive and he thinks, or rather you think he thinks I don't practice because of how I write? Because of how I diminish meathead mouthpiece dudes with regularity here at this site due to their testosterone posturing and assumptions of superiority because they have a preference?

yeah, that's retarded. period.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Uh, that's retarded. lol

I hold a juvenile boxing record have been practicing Martial Arts probably longer than the dude has been alive and he thinks, or rather you think he thinks I don't practice because of how I write? Because of how I diminish meathead mouthpiece dudes with regularity here at this site due to their testosterone posturing and assumptions of superiority because they have a preference?

So...do you spar on a regular basis or not? I don't really care. I'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    And what martial arts do you mix?

Boxing = traditional

Muay Thai = traditional

Wrestling = traditional

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu = traditional

What makes a martial art "traditional"? The simple fact of passing information/beliefs down generation to generation.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tradition?s=t

It doesn't matter if an art is practiced for the purpose of health, self defense, confidence, sport or any other reason if it has rituals and is passed down to the next generation, it is by definition a "traditional" martial art.

The problem I run into with most practitioners is they don't know the history and origins of what they are training in.
    my problem is mostly people with bad reading comprehension...for example where did i say anything about traditional or modern arts? i said do MMA, the actual sport (which is what this forum is aimed at) if thats what you do great im sure Jamieson doesnt and this forum is for the MMA guys, those that do the sport or like it we can do without people making what they see as smart remarks about topics no one has brought up

Uh, that's retarded. lol

the above is a classic example of what im talking in regards to how a classic insecure non sparring mouth boxer might should thankyou

Ziiiiiiiippppp.

Yep, mine's bigger.

Look's like David won.
    Mike