Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Triangle Palms - YKS

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I think most of the difficulties here start with the fact that you don't know much about HFY, which is fine. But instead of just asking questions, you are making assumptions and then commenting based on those incorrect assumptions.
    You may be right, I do jump to conclusions sometimes so it's good to talk things through as it only helps me understand your view too.

HFY does in fact have SNT/CK/BJ as well as wooden dummy, the knives and 2 pole forms. And in a way you are correct on one of your guesses, we do not approach our training in the exact same way IP lines do with the linear SNT/CK/BJ fashion. Yes, there is some overlap of the concepts of the 3 hand forms during the training, but SNT is the meat of WCK's base concepts and ideas. You only really need CK/BJ if your SNT falls apart in a fight - this is the same as in IP line, yeah?
    But that doesn't mean we ignore CK/BJ either - there are a lot of strategies and tactics held in those 2 forms, and some of them should be learned early on in one's training
    Thanks for at least trying to help my view of HFY and this is stuff I should already know but I get limited time to really look into every one elses varied ways of practising Wing Chun. FWIW I have learnt in a very similar fashion to what you describe here, and I consider myself to have direct connection to Ip Man through my Sifu and Sigung. Not every one of his students approached teaching in the same way, as we all know.

We are all connected, as you say, and I only wish we could all be more unified sometimes...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

WTF! 2 people having an actual discussion on a Wing Chun thread?!?

Hey, it's cool. I sometimes do the same thing with assumptions. Anyway, glad I could help clear some things up and give a better understanding of what we do. It's cool that we seem to share some similar approaches.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

WTF! 2 people having an actual discussion on a Wing Chun thread?!?

Hey, it's cool. I sometimes do the same thing with assumptions. Anyway, glad I could help clear some things up and give a better understanding of what we do. It's cool that we seem to share some similar approaches.
    I feel love in the air ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_HnBac5jWs

Yip Man Tan Sau

YOU SEE BOTH HAVE A SLIGHT BENT...NOW THE CAUCASIAN VARIATION HAS IS ALOT STRAIGHTER THAN THESE TWO...

LOOK AT THE KWAN SAU...SEE THE BONG SAU AND THE TAN SAU HOW IT IS DIFFERENT. THERE ARE MULTIPLE REASONS WHY THE STRUCTURE IS THIS WAY....

WITH THAT BEING SAID I SEE WE VIEW THINGS DIFFERENTLY ITS OKAY I WAS TRAINED DIFFERENT THAN YOU GUYS. ITS GOOD. LET ME ASKED A QUESTION WITH YOUR TAN SAU WHERE DOES THE ENERGY GO?

WHEN YOU TAHN SAU WHERE DOES YOUR OPPONENT ENERGY GO WITH THE TAAN. ARE YOU SENDING IT BACK TO HIM WITH YOUR STRUCTURE OR DOES THE ENERGY GO ELSEWHERE...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    And by 'original stuff' do you mean what your Sifu taught you? A curriculum of Wing Chun?

I only ask because I see many many people saying they have been taught a 'mainland' variety of Wing Chun but once they go under the spotlight it's a different story.

With regards to this 'tansau' positioning, have a look at my first old clip 'An Introduction' and tell me (honestly!) if you have ever seen a drill like this before, done in the manner I am doing it, with the explanation I give...

http://www.flystudio.co.uk/media/film/film.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    That is not correct for Tahn vs Man.

Man sao can be a particular tool such as most Ip Man lineages have in their Chum Kiu form or can be a term to describe the leading hand.

Personally, I'd prefer no clips over bad ones. There is an old saying about keeping one's mouth closed and letting folks suspect you are an idiot rather than open it and let the world know for certain what kind of idiot you really are....
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

YOU SEE BOTH HAVE A SLIGHT BENT...NOW THE CAUCASIAN VARIATION HAS IS ALOT STRAIGHTER THAN THESE TWO...
    Actually, only the line from the elbow to the fingertips appears bent, but the wrist is in an anatomically correct straight position.

If you view your forearm from the side and make a straight line from your elbow to your fingertips, you will see the wrist joint is actually angled downward. If you pull the hand back you will then see the wrist align into a straight position, with the elbow in line with the base of the palm. Turn it over and that's Yip Man's taan sau with an anatomically correct straight wrist.

This is important, because if the fingertips were aligned with the elbow and forearm in a so-called "straight" wrist, the wrist would actually be angled upward in the taan sau position, sending energy upward instead of forward.

When the wrist is actually straight as I described, although the forearm and motion is slightly upward, the fingers point directly forward which projects the energy forward (lat sau jik chung). Taan sau is an attack hand, not just defense.

This picture, from that understanding is incorrect:

However, hooking an opponent's arm with your wrist and the back of your hand as seen below, is even more incorrect. It is not the concept of "taan" at all.

LOOK AT THE KWAN SAU...SEE THE BONG SAU AND THE TAN SAU HOW IT IS DIFFERENT. THERE ARE MULTIPLE REASONS WHY THE STRUCTURE IS THIS WAY....

That's actually not kwan sau at all. The images url is: wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/sequences/sequences_biujee_pose.jpg

You see, it's a Biu Ji pose. It is a gaang/cham sau combination, not bong/taan sau. If you couldn't tell that from the illustration, at least the body position should have been a clue. Kwan sau doesn't roll that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post

That's actually not kwan sau at all. The images url is: wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/sequences/sequences_biujee_pose.jpg

You see, it's a Biu Ji pose. It is a gaang/cham sau combination, not bong/taan sau. If you couldn't tell that from the illustration, at least the body position should have been a clue. Kwan sau doesn't roll that way.
    You're wasting your breath ...

Does any one else utilize a drill similiar to Triangle Palms
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"