Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Punching people in the face?

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------
    To: WC1277

I think I saw aWSL chum kiu youtube video which has the uppercut.

joyy

You and a lot of people

We are still doing the same punching ideas , elbow fastest , first to the centerline...diagonal striking angles in a form. More powerful than an uppercut and maintaining our lin sil di da integrity....we use this fighting to create angles, You guys dont spar, so it might be hard to understand.

but if you really want to uppercut, nobody is stopping you.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-22-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    ....we use this fighting to create angles, You guys dont spar, so it might be hard to understand.
    yeah.... Ok, Mr. Romney!....

Can Chee or anyone who speaks Chinese please translate what Mr. Leung says in this clip from time mark 9:00 - 9:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8wgirkzgE

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Can Chee or anyone who speaks Chinese please translate what Mr. Leung says in this clip from time mark 9:00 - 9:35

Thank you
    D Peterson also refers to it as a diagonal straight punch.... you believe him ?
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-22-2012 at 10:38 PM.

yeah.... Ok, Mr. Romney!....
    romney ?

Thank you
    He's speaking Mandarin/Putonghua which I don't speak so I can't help.

BTW, that should be Mr. Wong or Wong sifu.

From knowing the ideas being worked I would venture WSL is saying you dont do a large swing like this, you make a tight action with a re-centered elbow to 'imply' a diagonal strike from the previous angle and then reface with following jut sao....

More powerful than an uppercut and maintaining our lin sil di da integrity.
    Wow, really?

Could you post your testing procedures and results please? I am sure there are lots of boxers whose livelihood depends on their punching ability would love to learn this. It could be a real money making deal.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Wow, really?

Could you post your testing procedures and results please? I am sure there are lots of boxers whose livelihood depends on their punching ability would love to learn this. It could be a real money making deal.

LMAO ) )

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Wow, really?

Boxers dont do lin sil di da last time I looked . I train at and give private VT lessons at Gleasons gym in Brooklyn, it is known for boxing, but they invited me in to do a martial art, some diversity.
    An upper cut is as powerful as the guy size doing it with arms and swinging hips elbows but they go up ^ they rotate on their axis line opening up a lot of lines to counter if they MISS if they hit me ...well . They rely on recovery by evasion, bob n weave, slip...
    One of the ways to counter an uppercut is move back, so an uppercut doesnt 'feed' into our thinking for maintaining a line of attack if we miss , make errors....get intercepted.

We drive forwards with body mass in motion at the target off the rear leg as we hit. I hit the heavy bags with it and upper cuts . Its similar to an uppercut in its outward appearance, ergo everyone makes a 1:1 without the underlying idea of simultaneous defense of my line and attacking. BUT the punch drives forwards like a right cross only with a super tight elbow driven by hips.

I can uppercut too, but, with our thinking,[what is that thinking ? ]... so its not over-swinging, it maintains the line so my FOLLOWING hand can still make a line OVER it. Yeah I know, what is he talking about ...lmao !

The reasons we have certain constraints in striking lines is simply to avoid the errors after the fact ...if we miss, what then ? When you understand that you see a way of fighting with VT as counter attacking, intercepting....less about throwing bombs, which are powerful before the bomb throwers revolt...; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-23-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    LMAO ) )
    You're a clueless troll Frost

But you still haven't validated your claim that the punch you use is
    More powerful than an uppercut

You made the claim. I and I am sure several others here are simply looking to see what procedures you used to come to this conclusion and the data from your tests.

Peer review is a good thing. It insures that there were no flaws in the procedures, that the data was gathered correctly and that the interpretation of the results is valid.
    Last edited by m1k3; 03-23-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Mike

Having done a little boxing I understand how uppercuts work. BTW there are several different types of uppercuts as well depending on distance and spacing. I agree that there are issues with a trailing hand uppercut in that if it misses you will be open.

Whereas a lead uppercut is short, fast and incredibly tight. It is often thrown when you are leaning on you opponent or have your forehead planted in his chest. As a lefty who fought out of a conventional stance I love lead uppercuts. shovel hook, shovel hook, uppercut all thrown with the lead hand is a great combination. The shovel hooks bring his elbow down to protect the liver giving the uppercut a clear path.

The uppercut you seem to be describing what I would call a George Foreman uppercut, thrown with a bit of distance between the fighters and is used as a KO punch. It would never be thrown as a lead unless your opponent is already hurt or fights out of a deep crouch.

What I am describing is a Smoken Joe Frazier uppercut where he has his head planted against you, fires some hooks and does a slight pivot step to open just enough space for the left uppercut to fire through.

If you want to try that on the heavy bag you actually have to be so close you are leaning slightly into the bag with your gloves touching your cheeks and your elbows in tight touching your ribs.

Better yet test it against an uppercut bag.
    Last edited by m1k3; 03-23-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You're a clueless troll Frost
    TO be honest im quite happy being clueless if you are the one handing out the knowledge
    Oh and im still waiting for you to back up your claim that your punch is more powerful than an uppercut…..how about showing us you beating one of Gleasons pros with it

[Same here, please show what you mean, I mean you talk about superior hand positioning, and how unlike the uppercut you can attack without exposing yourself, but frankly I smell B8ll sh*t of the worset kind……..but im willing to be proven wrong please show what you mean working in full contact against a boxer, I mean you must care since you have lord knows how many posts on this forum, a simple clip should be easy to post