Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Punching people in the face?

Really guys? We're arguing about a technique in WC, the "concept and principal based" art?

If you can maintain the basics of WC when you do it, then it belongs - if not, then it doesn't. What could be more simple???

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    Really guys? We're arguing about a technique in WC, the "concept and principal based" art?

If you can maintain the basics of WC when you do it, then it belongs - if not, then it doesn't. What could be more simple???
    As this and so many other discussions have shown, no it's not that simple.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm kinda enjoying the ranting from all sides...

Reminds me why I'm glad I learnt Wing Chun in London!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Arguing ? healthy debate . forum chatter What! no reverse spinning elbows , you're crazy , you are We have 12 elbows in our VT And a back flip to hit the guy on the back of the head as we fly over him..not in the form.

Then telepathic fighting CLIP
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-19-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post

Good post.
    What I find a little amusing is it's happening on a thread that was supposed to be meant as a joke ahh well, on second though, maybe this is the thread to argue techniques eh?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

DP CK ..........Clip

you can see the bong to elbow in, then extension to jut axis rotation... looks like a uppercut but its not the 'idea'.
    We dont do two low bongs at an attacker either, another idea being worked...
    Same with fac sao off body....followed by elbows in,etc
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-20-2012 at 06:22 AM.

wing chun upper cut

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    DP CK ..........Clip

you can see the bong to elbow in, then extension to jut axis rotation... looks like a uppercut but its not the 'idea'.
    We dont do two low bongs at an attacker either, another idea being worked...
    Same with fac sao off body....followed by elbows in,etc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends on what you mean by idea..the epistemology. There are some differences in details between WSL and Ho Kam Ming's chum kiu and HKM 's wing chun is very compact,crisp and concept based and effective as well.

I respect WSL's fighting history. Even in David's chum kiu the motion -angle/direction etc is there to provide the foundation for a wing chun version of the upper cut.

Good form gives us plenty of ideas, coordination, flow, control and concepts. As in good conceptual models- the relation between concept and operational meanings is 0ne-many, not just one-one. Just as the idea of internal combustion can lead to a variety of engineering achievements. Does not give us the license to do junk but the richness of operational meanings of a concept should not be underestimated.The boxing uppercut and a good wing chun upper cut
    has differences in details and some quite general similarities. The power train is different.
    Because of stance, structure and body dynamics, a good wing chun upper cut can be used much closer in than in boxing- even when touching.

Of course it takes hours of proper practice to develop skills.

joy chaudhuri

In case anyone is interested, you don't have to hit with all your force to the face. A decent medium punch to the snotbucket will stop a lot of people in their tracks without having to do serious damage or go for a KO.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    In case anyone is interested, you don't have to hit with all your force to the face. A decent medium punch to the snotbucket will stop a lot of people in their tracks without having to do serious damage or go for a KO.

---------------------------------------
    Thx.Yes, I know -there are many ways to skin that cat. But my main interest is in the wing chun way.

joy chaudhuri

Being serious, why couldn't you throw a WC style vertical punch to the nose at less than full power? I like the vertical punch especially for bare knuckle punching. Just seems to me that would be a valid answer in WC.
    Mike

Being serious, why couldn't you throw a WC style vertical punch to the nose at less than full power? I like the vertical punch especially for bare knuckle punching. Just seems to me that would be a valid answer in WC.
    My only issue with punching straight to the face is the other guys teeth or forehead. I have one scar about 3/8" on my ring finger knuckle from a tooth. I have also have a busted pinky knuckle (which makes my pinky stick out at a 45 degree angle) from strikes to the cranium. I have also seen, way too many times, busted swollen knuckles from hay-makers to the face.

IMO hooks to the dome are pretty effective and have less probability of hurting your hand.

I think I'm up to $.04 now.
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    DP CK ..........Clip

A nice Chum Kiu imho but in a totally different universe to my own

I do understand your view here about this 'uppercut' thing, as I too was initial taught this particular section was NOT about striking with the fist. Actually more about using the inside crease of the elbow for crossing under a bridge that is trying to hold you. But later in your own development many people see the 'similarity' to the uppercut 'punch' because the body mechanics are almost identical.

I tend to drill such uppercut punches with our pole work, as Chao Gwan is a very famous set in other systems and we have something similar in our 6.5. Then there is nothing like a tyre wrapped round a heavy bag to give you that contact!

I am also of the opinion that we (Wing Chun schools) do not promote 'punching to the face' to beginners at all because of all the risks highlighted in this thread (well they're here somewhere lol!) BUT if you have drilled the fist and you are accurate and fast enough I see no problem in smacking the old boat race in order to finish a confrontation quickly. And fme (yes I do have some lol!) I have had old boys crying from a simple flick to the nose so to crush their bones with my rheumitic knuckles seems a little bit OTT
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 03-20-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes-You can with full power as well if you develop short power. But different punches have different angles - depends on what lines are open or can be skillfully opened.

joy chaudhuri

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1163674]

I am also of the opinion that we (Wing Chun schools) do not promote 'punching to the face' to beginners at all because of all the risks highlighted in this thread (well they're here somewhere lol!)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?????????????

IMO- important yo learn having control over your motions. You don't have to hit a home run every time.

joy c

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes-You can with full power as well if you develop short power. But different punches have different angles - depends on what lines are open or can be skillfully opened.

joy chaudhuri
    Thank you for the answer.
    Mike