You're very welcome my WC brother.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Good to know. Somewhat embarassing, considering our boxing is supposed to be pioneered by women
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 03-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Good to know. Somewhat embarassing, considering our boxing is supposed to be pioneered by women

That was just a myth. No women could come up with such a system. And besides, were women even allowed to do gung fu then? Or be sifu?
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    That was just a myth. No women could come up with such a system. And besides, were women even allowed to do gung fu then? Or be sifu?
    Yes,Well I prefer to think of it as a legend. It is true that up to recent history not too many women masters of any KF are known and those usually taught by their husbands. But the persistance of the legend, if only in spirit, deserves more acknowlegment in the present day and it's implication in the performance of VT. If by saying a woman could not have come up with VT you mean because of limited access to the resources of martial knowlege, perhaps. If you're alluding to a womans ability to concieve of a system like VT I disagree. As well, some of the very best VT players I've ever known are awsome ladies of immense kung fu talent and skill against men as well as women. Internal structure at par with male counterparts.It is more a myth that women cannot handle the rigours of combat, instinct for violence and martial training simply because of somewhat less brute power in the upper body in general or emotional content. I've often wondered what happened to some of GM Ip Mans female students.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 03-27-2012 at 01:28 AM.

I've often wondered what happened to some of GM Ip Mans female students.
    There are still a few female relatives around too, but even today the men still seem to take charge in business and such.

Have a quick look at one of my personal photos of the whole Ip Family clan, taken when they opened the first Ip Man Tong in Fatshan, and you will see more than a few female faces Didn't Ip Man did have daughters too?

Ti Fei
    詠春國術

One of the assistants to my sifu was a kung fu older sister who had superb kung fu and was a superb
    teacher. She fought in martial arts tournaments in her time and lost only one match to my knowledge to a kenpo stylist and student of Ed Parker with Parker being the chief judge! Then she (Nancy M.) walked away from the martial arts for personal reasons.
    A younger kung fu sister is a regular instructor at Fong sifu's place in Tucson.
    little-raven.com – Carina makes wooden dummies for Wing Chun stylists, plus a variety of equipment for other martial arts.

joy chaudhuri

Yes,Well I prefer to think of it as a legend. It is true that up to recent history not too many women masters of any KF are known and those usually taught by their husbands. But the persistance of the legend, if only in spirit, deserves more acknowlegment in the present day and it's implication in the performance of VT. If by saying a woman could not have come up with VT you mean because of limited access to the resources of martial knowlege, perhaps. If you're alluding to a womans ability to concieve of a system like VT I disagree. As well, some of the very best VT players I've ever known are awsome ladies of immense kung fu talent and skill against men as well as women. Internal structure at par with male counterparts.It is more a myth that women cannot handle the rigours of combat, instinct for violence and martial training simply because of somewhat less brute power in the upper body in general or emotional content. I've often wondered what happened to some of GM Ip Mans female students.
    Let me rephrase that a bit. My reason for calling it a myth is that many years ago I was given the history as being from a number of people, but my lineage comes from a man called Hung. Lots of contributors, and not by a single woman. I didn't hear the Ng Mui or Yimm Wing Chun story until I actually joined this forum.
    As for women being able to do gung fu, I am not foolish enough to think they can't. I have two older sisters that can be scary as hell.
    I think that the Chinese tend to use lots of myth legends to explain a lot of their history. Most of this stuff is from secret societies that could not actually tell the facts. They couldn't just tell people that Joe Hung over here is teaching people how to fight so that we can rebel down the line. So people like Tan Sao Ng became Ng Mui or Yimm Wing Chun. Someone that could not be tracked down. The thing is, we will never really know for sure. Personally, I think it is from a guy named Daffy Duck. He does wear an all black gung fu uniform.
    Jackie Lee

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Let me rephrase that a bit. My reason for calling it a myth is that many years ago I was given the history as being from a number of people, but my lineage comes from a man called Hung. Lots of contributors, and not by a single woman. I didn't hear the Ng Mui or Yimm Wing Chun story until I actually joined this forum.
    As for women being able to do gung fu, I am not foolish enough to think they can't. I have two older sisters that can be scary as hell.
    I think that the Chinese tend to use lots of myth legends to explain a lot of their history. Most of this stuff is from secret societies that could not actually tell the facts. They couldn't just tell people that Joe Hung over here is teaching people how to fight so that we can rebel down the line. So people like Tan Sao Ng became Ng Mui or Yimm Wing Chun. Someone that could not be tracked down. The thing is, we will never really know for sure. Personally, I think it is from a guy named Daffy Duck. He does wear an all black gung fu uniform.
    Understood

Corrections on Sifu 師父 vs 師傅

I saw that my site was referenced in this conversation. Then looking at the information on my site, I realized that it was a bit ambiguous.

I've corrected that now, as seen here:
    http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=sifu

In short, it is my opinion, backed by two native Chinese translators that 師父 is the Sifu for a martial arts master and teacher.

The other Sifu is 師傅, and is appropriate for tutors, taxi drivers (don't know why taxi drivers are referred to as "master" in Chinese - even Chinese people don't know), and skilled workers.

Cheers,
    -Gary.
    http://www.orientaloutpost.com/