Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zhai Kui

Zhai Kui

Does anyone else here play the 摘 盔 - Zhāi Kuī - Rip Off the Helmet set? I was told it comes from 摔 手 螳 螂 拳 - shuāishǒu tánglángquán - Throwing Hand Mantis and was primarily practiced in Taiwan.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.

John,
    It is a form, not just a technique.
    I am familiar with the technique, I was talking about the form.
    Thanks for the reply though!
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Zhai Kui

You posted in other thread

"My Wu Tang instructor recently told me that we have three forms from Shuaishou Tanglangquan in our curriculum: Praying Mantis Hands, Take the Helmet and Inserting Fist. "

Praying Mantis Hands is from Liang Jinchuan- son of Liang Xuexiang. Brought to Taiwan by Wang Songting.
    Cha Chuei- Stick in the Fist is 100% 7 Star Mantis
    Then we have Zhai Kui-Take the Helmet, whose origin is somewhat of a mystery. Most likely from Wang Songting. Either taught by him or created by him.

Taiwan Martial Art Research Development Report( Taiwan Di Qu Guo Shu Fa Zhan Zhi Diao Cha Yan Jiu is a report financed by Taiwan government of exhuastive research on the transmission of Northern martial arts in Taiwan after WW2. there is no mention of a master of Shuai Shou Tang Lang in Taiwan.

My teacher, Shi Zhengzhong, who spent his entire life climbing every hill of Taiwan looking for all things of Mantis also never came across Shuai Shou Tang Lang. The only mention of Shuai Shou Tang Lang is a brief list of Keywords in a book by Wei Xiaotang of Eight Step Mantis. This book was compiled by Master Wei's students and is filled with material from other books and styles including those not native to Taiwan- Huang Hanxun- for example.

In the book Taiwan Martial Art Research Development Report( Taiwan Di Qu Guo Shu Fa Zhan Zhi Diao Cha Yan Jiu under Wang Songting, no mention is made of Take the Helmet. Nor do any of his students have it listed under their curriculum in this book.

Maybe a direct student of Gao Daosheng may be able to shed more light on the matter.

Back when I lived in Taiwan, I actually learned two different versions of Zhai Kuei, but unfortunately, I no longer remember either of them. The first version I learned when I trained at Gao's school. It was actually one of his students who taught it to me. The other I learned under Peng Sifu. All I do remember is that the two versions were very different from each other.

Thanks Jimbo,
    Gao Daosheng taught the form, but who is Peng Shifu? Student of who?

Hi.
    Peng Sifu is the late Peng Han-Ping, whom I consider to have been my true instructor in Tanglang. His main Mantis teacher had been Wei Hsiao-Tang for five years until Wei died, and then he learned 7-Star, I believe, through the Wu Tan Institute and other teachers. His other specialties were Hung Gar and Chen Taiji, though I only trained Tanglang under him. He died in an accident in 1999 in Taiwan, over six years after I left there.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-20-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Kevin & Jimbo,
    Thank you for the information!

So far I am aware of three versions of this form on video:

Long Fist Praying Mantis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vET--...3047D9BD76D588

Su Yu Chang's version demonstrated by Mike Martello:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_7Eq_U_ng

My kung fu brother Laurence Frese:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVnmfW1zRc

Laurence's version is closest to the individual movements that I have learned so far. However, his performance is far softer and doesn't express the jing I was shown. I believe he was just doing it slowly and smoothly to demonstrate the individual movements, which sacrificed the explosive power of the movements. Not a criticism, just a critique.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Richard:
    Thanks for posting those clips!

The performer in the first vid, I'm pretty sure, was my senior under Gao Daosheng whom I knew by his abbreviated name,"Ah-ben". It sure looks like him, though it must have been filmed in the 1980s (maybe when he and Gao visited Japan?). He would be into his 50s now. Anyway, the form resembles the first version I learned, but there are differences, too. At Gao's school, I remember many people added to or varied the forms, so people often did things their own way. I remember Ah-ben tended to keep his forms the way he was taught.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The performer in the first vid, I'm pretty sure, was my senior under Gao Daosheng whom I knew by his abbreviated name,"Ah-ben". It sure looks like him, though it must have been filmed in the 1980s (maybe when he and Gao visited Japan?).
    Jimbo,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the clips!

The clip you mentioned was filmed in 1993 in Japan.

At Gao's school, I remember many people added to or varied the forms, so people often did things their own way. I remember Ah-ben tended to keep his forms the way he was taught.
    It is interesting that they felt so free to change the forms.

I remember Ah-ben tended to keep his forms the way he was taught.
    I had the privilege of viewing a clip of Master Yang Shu-Ton performing Zhai Kui in front of the Wu Tang Institute in Taiwan. He looks like he was in his early twenties at the time. The form as he demonstrated it then is the same as is taught in the Ohio Wu Tang now. I was very pleased to see it remains unchanged 40 some years later.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 10-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Correction

I just watched Master Yang Shu-Ton's tape on Zhai Kui that was filmed in the United States in the 1980's. On the tape it states that our version of the form comes from Closed Door Mantis, NOT Throwing Hands Mantis. It also states that it comes from Zhang De Kui through Su Yu Zhang and to Yang Shu Ton. I am learning it from James Rogers, a disciple of Master Yang Shu-Ton.

Shifu Rogers is one of several disciples promoted to "master" by Yang Shu-Ton. His lineage can be found at The Mantis Cave.
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I just watched Master Yang Shu-Ton's tape on Zhai Kui that was filmed in the United States in the 1980's. On the tape it states that our version of the form comes from Closed Door Mantis, NOT Throwing Hands Mantis. It also states that it comes from Zhang De Kui through Su Yu Zhang and to Yang Shu Ton. I am learning it from James Rogers, a disciple of Master Yang Shu-Ton.

Shifu Rogers is one of several disciples promoted to "master" by Yang Shu-Ton. His lineage can be found at The Mantis Cave.
    A lot of things were attributed to Zhang Dekui that he did not teach. This is a good example.
    A Japanese researcher on Mantis who studied with Su Yuzhang before he left Taiwan. This Japanese researcher published many books on kung fu which were sold in Taiwan. These books became very popular.

The section talking about Zhang Dukui didn't seem correct to Zhang Dekui's student Shi Zhengzhong, my teacher.
    Master Shi took the book directly to Zhang Dekui and Master Zhang said, I didn't teach that!

In the past I have documented exactly what material Zhang Dekui did teach. His kung fu is vastly different from what is seen in Zhai Kui form

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    A lot of things were attributed to Zhang Dekui that he did not teach. This is a good example.
    A Japanese researcher on Mantis who studied with Su Yuzhang before he left Taiwan. This Japanese researcher published many books on kung fu which were sold in Taiwan. These books became very popular.

The section talking about Zhang Dukui didn't seem correct to Zhang Dekui's student Shi Zhengzhong, my teacher.
    Master Shi took the book directly to Zhang Dekui and Master Zhang said, I didn't teach that!

In the past I have documented exactly what material Zhang Dekui did teach. His kung fu is vastly different from what is seen in Zhai Kui form
    Would the Japanese researcher you mentioned be Matsuda Ryuchi? The only biographical information that I could find concerning him mentions his teacher as Liu Yunchiao. Can you tell me how you connect him with Su Yu Zhang?

Can you please reiterate what Zhang Dekui did teach? What specifically was attributed to him in the book you mentioned that he did not teach?

In an earlier post you mentioned that you had not studied Zhai Kui. How can you say with such certainty that it is different from what Zhang Dekui taught?

In above posts you mention:

1. Zhai Kui is not mentioned in the curriculum of Wang Songting.
    2. Gao Daosheng taught the form (as verified by Jimbo).
    3. Zhai Kui is different than the kung fu taught by Zhang Dekui.

If this information is correct, then we have to ask the following questions:

1. From whom did Gao Daosheng learn the form?
    2. From whom did Peng Hanping learn the form?
    3. From whom did Su Yu Zhang learn the form?

Thanks for your input! Please realize that my comments and queries are not a challenge to you personally, or your Shifu. I am only trying to dig for the truth. If the truth can still be found.

I will certainly admit to being a very anal minded person. I like to know and understand everything about the forms that I train on a daily basis. History, quanpu, applications - I want anything and everything that can help me to master the things that I train.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Richard,
    I strongly believe the reason that many of Gao's students added their own variations (usually subtle, some obvious) into their forms is because he almost never taught the applications (a big reason that I left). So then some people would think, "This move would look better if I do it this way." And at the time (mid-'80s), almost all the teaching was done by senior students. Ah-Ben was the best/most consistent, but sometimes you were taught by someone else.

I would point out that this seemed most common in the Chang Chuan-based forms. I remember there were two lists of forms on signboards on a wall, one of Mantis and the other of various Chang Chuan sets. I remember there being a lot more Chang Chuan forms.

Regarding Matsuda Ryuchi, I have a lot of those books from when I lived in Taiwan. He not only researched Mantis, but northern styles in general. While I don't know if he or his books were really good or not, the books themselves were actually produced better than the typical Chinese MA books. I used to be able to read Chinese somewhat decently, and his books were generally not a difficult read, as Chinese goes. It's been a while, but I wouldn't doubt that he got some things wrong, though.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Jimbo,
    Thank you for your insights!

It amazes me that anyone would teach a form, yet not teach the applications. I cannot understand that mentality. I would feel like I had wasted my time learning the form.

I also think it is a terrible practice to have senior students teaching the classes. I teach all the classes at my school. Though I do allow seniors to add or clarify ideas when working one on one with other students in my presence.

Do you remember which mantis forms Master Gao taught, or at least which ones you learned during your time there?

Researching martial arts is a difficult task. Many things were only passed orally. This can lead to many mistakes and misunderstandings. Even written materials may be fraudulent or embellished. And politics abounds to the point that you never know who is trying to diminish the reputation of another teacher, while trying to pitch their own lineage.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-25-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson