Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanche

Fanche

This week I began introducing my students to the strategies of fanche (翻 車) and lulu (轆 轤).

I looked back through the past threads and realized we have not had a thread on the Fanche forms four over four years. I thought now may be a good time to start a discussion on this series.

I know of three fanche forms currently taught within the mantis families: Da Fanche, Xiao Fanche and Zhong Lu Fanche. Fanche sets are found in Qixing, Meihua, Taiji, Taiji Meihua, Mimen and Babu Tanglangquan.

Variations of the fanche and lulu techniques/principles are also found in the northern mantis forms: Beng Bu, Cha Chui, Hei Hu Chu Dong, Hei Hu Jiao Cha and Mei Hua Lu.

How many of you have or are currently training one or more of these forms? Does your family of mantis have any fanche forms other than the three mentioned?
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I've learned Dai Fanche and I know sifu Chung teaches Su Fanche (sorry, I only hear the Cantonese and don't know which is the Mandarin). Not sure about the other Fanche forms though.

I'm curious which part of Bung Bo has the fanche technique? I've seen many variations in that form so maybe you have it different than we do?

If I remember right, Fanche technique is found in Wah Lum's straight form as well, and they have a small and large Fanche as well.

Cheers,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Codeboy View Post
    I've learned Dai Fanche and I know sifu Chung teaches Su Fanche (sorry, I only hear the Cantonese and don't know which is the Mandarin). Not sure about the other Fanche forms though.

I'm curious which part of Bung Bo has the fanche technique? I've seen many variations in that form so maybe you have it different than we do?
    I'm not seeing it either. <<Running through mental imaging process Now>> Yeah, not seeing it.

On a side note: Like Codeboy said - two sets, Big Fan Che, and Small Fan Che. Siu contains my favorite Bruce Lee like punch. I worked in Florida a bit when I was younger and got cut off from good kung fu. To stay sharp - all I did for three months was Siu Fan Che. Good fighting form - looks goofy to outsiders, not nearly as goofy looking as Dai Fan Che though.

fan che

I have learned xiao fan che, zhong fan che and zhong lu fan che and also wah lum's fan che.
    i like xiao and zhong fan che the best.

As 18elders said Wah Lum has Fanche (big and little) but they are different although the move Fanche, and Lulu, is found in other WL sets.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeboy View Post
    Codeboy,
    Nice to hear you train with Master Chung. He is an excellent mantis man!

In beng bu/bung bo, movement thirteen in Wong Hon Fan's quanpu is Straddle Tiger, Water Wheel Pattern kua hu fan che shi.

It is in this section of the form:

10. Horse Pattern, Double Seal Hands
    ma shi shuang feng shou
    11. Hill Climbing, Hook & Splitting Strike
    deng shan diao pi chui
    12. Right Hook, Hold, Pluck Hand
    you ou lou cai shou
    13. Straddle Tiger, Water Wheel Pattern
    kua hu fan che shi
    14. Hill Climbing, Left Thrust Palm
    deng shan zuo cha zhang
    15. Hill Climbing, Right Insert Strike
    deng shan you bu chui
    16. Horse Pattern, Double Seal Hands
    ma shi shuang feng shou

This time, rather than a spinning downward motion with both arms extended, fanche is a right gua with a left uppercut strike.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Codeboy,
    Nice to hear you train with Master Chung. He is an excellent mantis man!

In beng bu/bung bo, movement thirteen in Wong Hon Fan's quanpu is Straddle Tiger, Water Wheel Pattern kua hu fan che shi.

It is in this section of the form:

10. Horse Pattern, Double Seal Hands
    ma shi shuang feng shou
    11. Hill Climbing, Hook & Splitting Strike
    deng shan diao pi chui
    12. Right Hook, Hold, Pluck Hand
    you ou lou cai shou
    13. Straddle Tiger, Water Wheel Pattern
    kua hu fan che shi
    14. Hill Climbing, Left Thrust Palm
    deng shan zuo cha zhang
    15. Hill Climbing, Right Insert Strike
    deng shan you bu chui
    16. Horse Pattern, Double Seal Hands
    ma shi shuang feng shou

This time, rather than a spinning downward motion with both arms extended, fanche is a right gua with a left uppercut strike.
    Man I'll need video because I'm still not seeing it... granted I'm sitting and directing a TV show and I'm only able to mentally go through the form... there's a left gua and a right upper cut, but it'd be a stretch to classify as fan che.

You talking about the 31 second mark?
    Bung Bo

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    You talking about the 31 second mark?
    Bung Bo
    Nope, the 10 second mark in that video of Brendan Lai is named "fanche shi" in WHF's quanpu. It is right after the "triple pick".

I agree that it does not look like what most practitioners would think of when they hear the term "fanche". Which makes the selection of the term even more interesting in my opinion.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-16-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Yeah I'm lost. I didn't see anything remotely similar in the Seven Star vid. Maybe in a different version?

Maybe here, 1:54 mark?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Nope, the 10 second mark in that video of Brendan Lai is named "fanche shi" in WHF's quanpu. It is right after the "triple pick".

I agree that it does not look like what most practitioners would think of when they hear the term "fanche". Which makes the selection of the term even more interesting in my opinion.
    weird - I have the application as bung choi with the crushing step power... not upper cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Yeah I'm lost. I didn't see anything remotely similar in the Seven Star vid. Maybe in a different version?

Well, Mooying's right in that when you think of Fan Che - it's the continuous fists falling like rain in Dai Fan Che and Siu Fan Che. Usually they're downward, but you can change direction and go up - I just don't think you find it that way in Bung Bo.
    Last edited by MightyB; 03-16-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: wrote "thing" meant "think"

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

No, that is the Laiyang Beng Bu version, I was talking about the Yantai Beng Bu version. The Yantai version is the one Brendan Lai is doing. Fanche shi is at 00:10.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I just don't think you find it that way in Bung Bo.
    Hey, I did not tell WHF or his students what to write. I just be reportin'! LOL!
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 03-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson