Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matter of Range

Matter of Range

After training last night I started talking with one of my sihings about fighting ranges. Coming from a MT and BJJ background I have the belief that there are multiple ranges in a fighting situation: Kicking, punching, elbow/knee, clinching/grappling. His view point is there is only one range – "contact range".
    He correctly states that there is no fight without contact. His response has me thinking and I would like to get other view points on the subject.
    Opinions Gentlemen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubei1 View Post
    His view point is there is only one range – "contact range".
    I think he means if you are in range to hit me then i am in range to hit you, therefore if you enter within that range i attack first instead of allowing the opponent to dictate the range. But it would be nice to get other people's opinion on what this statement means to them.

Yes there is only one range as far as your opponent can hit you or not.

To me the ranges are more to help with attack and defence and which weapons are available.

2 sides of the same coin,,,,ranges are useful but then you can kick from the ground, punch at close or long range. Flying Knees etc.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Krav Maga apparently has 4 ranges of combat which are similar to what you describe. (Long Kicking, long striking, Standup Grappling/short strikes, Ground).

TWC has 5 stages of combat (http://www.cheungswingchun.ashop.com...wing-chun.html)

Some arts use the tools to define the range, some use measurements from center to center. Different ideas of range defines the tools rather than tools define the range.

Standard MMA description of range includes: free movement, clinch, and ground.

Blog Entries
    His view point is there is only one range – "contact range".
    I think that's from his point of view. If he is a

- strilker, the contact range is the striking range.
    - grappler, the contact range is the clinching range.

The problem is, if your opponent has higher skill level than you do, he may be able to control his favor range bettter than you. To put all your eggs in one basket may not be the smartest thing to do.

For me when I grappled if I could reach out and touch my opponent I was close enough to shoot or for him to shoot on me. So IMO grappling range is when I can touch my opponent.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    For me when I grappled if I could reach out and touch my opponent I was close enough to shoot or for him to shoot on me. So IMO grappling range is when I can touch my opponent.
    This is why a grappler's fighting stance is different from a striker's fighting stance. You put your hands much further forward and try to touch your opponent's hands. You may lose potential to strike since your arms are almost straight already, but you can also prevent your opponent from striking at early stage. His striking hand has to pass your hands frist, and your hands can stop him much earlier before his striking power is even generated. It's much easier to deflect a weak punch than a powerful punch

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8...ingposture.jpg

Only two ranges:
    Contact and non-contact ( too far to make any type contact without telegraphing)
    I know guys that can kick from "clinch range" and guys that can take you down from "kicking range".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

After training last night I started talking with one of my sihings about fighting ranges. Coming from a MT and BJJ background I have the belief that there are multiple ranges in a fighting situation: Kicking, punching, elbow/knee, clinching/grappling. His view point is there is only one range – "contact range".
    He correctly states that there is no fight without contact. His response has me thinking and I would like to get other view points on the subject.
    Opinions Gentlemen?
    I agree with your ranges of combat to be honest.

To say there is only one range is kinda like saying "You can only eat Pasta or not eat Pasta, no other foods exist."

Yes I have to say there are more than one range!

Ranges I adhere too!
    1.Kicking
    2.Punching
    3.Knees
    4.Elbow

When doing stand up Im mindful of what range im at. So i can imploy what techniques work best at that range. if your too close to punch you need to throw elbows and knees. if your too close to kick effectively then you need to adapt to what range your in.

But as for contact range. I would say anything outside of kicking range is non-contact range. From that range you can feint as you bridge the gap. But once the gap is bridge an you have contact. You have to realize you cant normally throw a side kick from chi sau range with out loosing some contact. chi sau range is stand up grappline range in my opinion. With in chi sau range you can kick, punch and knee and elbow. Because there are different ranges with in chi sau too. But you can can kick outside of chi sau range as well as punch.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Only two ranges:
    Contact and non-contact ( too far to make any type contact without telegraphing)
    I know guys that can kick from "clinch range" and guys that can take you down from "kicking range".
    ---------------------------

Correct!

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------

Correct!

joy chaudhuri
    yea i seen some tae kwon do guys who could throw an ax kick from inclose with in chi sau range so yea your right..but that takes extreme agility and flexibility to do it.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

This is why a grappler's fighting stance is different from a striker's fighting stance. You put your hands much further forward and try to touch your opponent's hands.
    I disagree. You want to keep your elbows in. Stick out a hand, you're offering grips to the other guy (though you can bait this way but you'd better be good)

Arms away from the body, you make it easy for him to get arm drags, duckunders, underhooks and other clinches. Stick out both arms, get ready for a leg shoot.

In grappling, you're strong when your arms are close to your body, weak when they are extended.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    yea i seen some tae kwon do guys who could throw an ax kick from inclose with in chi sau range so yea your right..but that takes extreme agility and flexibility to do it.
    I don't know what an axe kick is, but I will always kick when in chi sao range. It will open lots of upper gate options.
    Jackie Lee