Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: am i using kung fu?

am i using kung fu?

this was from another thread about bagua,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wiz cool c
    i'm not saying he can or can't,but i have been involved in bagua for about maybe 7 years,martial arts maybe close to 30,and to be honestly i haven't seen a whole lot of proof that bagua works either in sparring or competition, but one thing i can say is, bagua works well in real fights, i can think of at least 4 different occasions i used the techniques in real fights ,and they worked well

And here comes the style conundrum. All styles have kicks right? There is a stomping kick in ba gua in their crane stepping drills. Stomping kicks are in all styles. If I stomp kick a guy tryin to rob me was I doing ba gua or tkd or hung gar? Depending on the style of the person in the fight they will claim they used x style.I don't believe in any of this using this style or that style in a fight. I don't believe in any of this using this style or that style in a fight.

so if do bjj and get in a fight and pull off an arm bar can i say i used bjj in a fight?
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 03-17-2012 at 04:56 AM.

a lot of martial arts share tenchiques, or have techniques that are incredibly similar to other styles. I would say when using a technique you could best describe them are striking or grappling techniques. and if you're certain you're using a technique in the way the style dictates than by all means say you're using say muay thais roundhouse. But other martial arts also have roundhouse kicks.

If your leg stays straight, you pivot your stepping leg, and enter at a 45 degree angle then you're using a muay thai round house. if you keep your knee bent and "snap" your roundhouse kick than you's be using a karate/taekwondo/kung fu roundhouse.

The devil's in the details.
    Last edited by LivingArt; 03-18-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fat fingers on phone lol

right i see your point. so what if i practice boxing and get into a street fight and knock someone out with a hook punch am i using boxing? or am a wrestler and get in a fight and lateral drop the guy, am i using wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    right i see your point. so what if i practice boxing and get into a street fight and knock someone out with a hook punch am i using boxing? or am a wrestler and get in a fight and lateral drop the guy, am i using wrestling?
    Dude, you have some serious issues. It don't matter what system you use, because most good systems will all have some pretty decent techniques. They are shared I guess. There is just so many ways to hit or kick someone, and some systems tend to collect the more effective ones, but just because someone from a different fighting system uses the same kick as you, it don't automatically mean he is doing your system, or you his. Just learn it and practice it and be happy that it works for you.
    Jackie Lee

not the point i'm trying to make, the point is, if i box and knock someone out with a hook people will say boxing works in real life, if someone arm bars someone in a fight and they train bjj,bjj is a real fighting style, but if i use bagua techniques,specific techniques even combinations from the form still i'm not using baugua, it is a way to discredit bagua and kung fu

and i have issues maybe but i'm sure i am still living the dream you wish you were living

am I using kung fu ?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    not the point i'm trying to make, the point is, if i box and knock someone out with a hook people will say boxing works in real life, if someone arm bars someone in a fight and they train bjj,bjj is a real fighting style, but if i use bagua techniques,specific techniques even combinations from the form still i'm not using baugua, it is a way to discredit bagua and kung fu

and i have issues maybe but i'm sure i am still living the dream you wish you were living
    Wiz cool ,

Living art , lee chiang po , is right it does ' nt matter what technique you use , what really matters is you are able to survive the situation . And yes , if you beat a person up with only with your fists , yes it ' s boxing , and that arm bar fight you
    are talking about , it could be wrestling , because if you think about it BJJ people would make use of the entire body , arm bar sounds more like wrestling . BJJ can be used against one person , but what if you ' re surrounded by mutiple opponents , bagua should be working at that time . And if you using techniques from a particular type of bagua form then it is bagua .

Another thing is Wiz cool , is this a trick question ? If you ' re using techniques from a particular form of bagua , why would it be bagua ? And yes , you ' re discrediting bagua and kung fu . Why don ' t you just call it MMA wizcool method .

Blog Entries
    A: What's your style?
    B: I train the style that can beat the sh!t out of people.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Arm bar =wrestling? Where the heckdid that come from?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Arm bar =wrestling? Where the heckdid that come from?
    its lance got to love him lol
    To clarify what 76 is on about
    wrestling doesn’t have arm bars as such, it’s a pinning not a submission art so it would be BJJ or judo

BJJ can be used against multiple opponents about as well as other arts, ie poorly, but I can use you are a shield whilst doing a standing rear naked and punch a hole through the group to escape for example, or I can body lock you throw you into your friends and then run like h*ll

As for the original point, if it doesn’t work in sparring or competitions but it does work on the street, I would question on who exactly it is working and their skill level, because if you can’t pull something off under controlled conditions against an opponent who is also playing by the same rules, how do you manage to pull it off against someone in a totally no holds barred situation?

AS for are you using your art, well if you are using the structure and power generation you are shown in training, then the actual technique will be from your art whether it’s a stomp, kick or throw, it’s the structure, power generation and training methods that make an art, not the techniques per say

If you train bagua and get into a fight and beat the other guy, then your bagua trained paid off.
    That is the most simplest way to see these things.
    HOWEVER, the issue is NOT that, the issue is one of HOW did you beat the other guy and it is this "how" that confirms that you beat him with "bagua" (whatever hat may mean).
    In short:
    If that Bagua YOU were taught and that YOU train is strictly palm work and circular movements and you beat him with a straight punch up the middle, then while you training MAY have helped you, it certainly wasn't a "bagua technique" that did it.
    It would be like saying that you spend all your time in BJJ class working on ground work and then in a fight you take out a guy with a left hook and claim that BJJ is the best !
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you train bagua and get into a fight and beat the other guy, then your bagua trained paid off.
    That is the most simplest way to see these things.
    HOWEVER, the issue is NOT that, the issue is one of HOW did you beat the other guy and it is this "how" that confirms that you beat him with "bagua" (whatever hat may mean).
    In short:
    If that Bagua YOU were taught and that YOU train is strictly palm work and circular movements and you beat him with a straight punch up the middle, then while you training MAY have helped you, it certainly wasn't a "bagua technique" that did it.
    It would be like saying that you spend all your time in BJJ class working on ground work and then in a fight you take out a guy with a left hook and claim that BJJ is the best !
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    why do i see vitor belfort in my mind as i read this bit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    why do i see vitor belfort in my mind as i read this bit lol
    How many fights did he even win that guy? I can't remember...but I think he will always be remembered for that "blitzing" fist attack, LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    How many fights did he even win that guy? I can't remember...but I think he will always be remembered for that "blitzing" fist attack, LOL !
    he won a fair few with his boxing, and his corner would always chat BJJ afterwards lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    he won a fair few with his boxing, and his corner would always chat BJJ afterwards lol
    Really? That's too funny but I do recall Rorian saying how Matt Hughes' victory over Royce was a great accomplishment for Gracie JJ.

[QUOTE=Frost;1163477]its lance got to love him lol
    As for the original point, if it doesn’t work in sparring or competitions but it does work on the street, I would question on who exactly it is working and their skill level, because if you can’t pull something off under controlled conditions against an opponent who is also playing by the same rules, how do you manage to pull it off against someone in a totally no holds barred situation?

i understand what you are saying. in my on experience,i have trained in many arts over many years. most recently in the last few years bagua and shuai jiao. bagua for maybe 7 year shuai jiao about 5. now i have not seen bagua used often in sparring or in competiton.but i have used it on 4 different occasions successfully. i have trained in shuai jiao and bagua side by side. i spar almost evertime i do shuai jiao,but in the real fights bagua techniques are what came out . and worked well under street fighting condition. now yes i agree that these opponents were not well trained and not as tough as someone you most likely would meet in competition. but hey they are the people who f$%ked with me. and the shuai jiao techniques that i used all the time in sparring didn't come to mind.

now i can not explain this scientificly,and people will say too deadly for the ring is bull****. but this has been my own real life experience. and these techniques that worked for me well in street fights were identical to those found in the forms i learned.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 03-19-2012 at 06:46 AM.