Thread: Does Wing Chun have Knee Strikes?

Hybrid View

Does Wing Chun have Knee Strikes?

Does Wing Chun have knee Strikes?

I mean of course you have raising knee to maintain the centerline when a opponent attacks or kicks. You lift the knee up to cover your vital areas. But can Lifting knee be also utilize as an attack?

In my WC every attack is a defense and every defense is an attack...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yep. What kind of Kung fu doesn't?

108 knee strikes. Theres a knee dummy and kneeling pole form along with fighting on your knees if you get cut in the knife form.
    Oh and chi-knee, extensively done in private lessons with, ykw...

I perfer flying knees. Knees to kevin forehead...an retreating knee, knee to chin technique...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    108 knee strikes. Theres a knee dummy and kneeling pole form along with fighting on your knees if you get cut in the knife form.
    Oh and chi-knee, extensively done in private lessons with, ykw...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yep, we hit with the knee... it can be very practical, but it's not any kind of special technique. Just think about the old saying, "every kick is a step and every step is a kick". At the right range, the same is true of the knee. Move like a WC man and you will step, kick and knee your opponent without even thinking about it.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Yep, we hit with the knee... it can be very practical, but it's not any kind of special technique.

I think that line sums up the WC approach to knees pretty well.
    From what ive seen most WC folks will use a knee when opportunity arises (such as a lot of demo clips that finish with a killer knee once the opponent has been overcome), but im yet to see what id call a systematic approach to knees in comparison to say MT

Theres a BIG difference to a knee and a proper structured knee strike

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think that line sums up the WC approach to knees pretty well.
    From what ive seen most WC folks will use a knee when opportunity arises (such as a lot of demo clips that finish with a killer knee once the opponent has been overcome), but im yet to see what id call a systematic approach to knees in comparison to say MT

Theres a BIG difference to a knee and a proper structured knee strike
    If by "proper structured knee strike" you mean the kind of specific and very committed knee training you see in Muay Thai, I have to agree. First, WC avoids that kind of total commitment to strikes ...we don't want to compromise our structure and give our opponent something to use against us.

Secondly, the simple, straightforward way we use our knees is part and parcel of the way we step and move. It integrates seamlessly with the stance, steps, and kicks so whether you just step in, kick, or knee is simply a matter of the openings your opponent gives you ...it is all an expression of the same forward intent. I often disagree with Kevin on particulars, but the line in his signature really says it all: It is your opponent who will teach you how to hit him.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 03-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    I am "your master"... what we do is the right way... We dont use the knees and we dont use this and that...
    Do only this and that... What others think and do is wrong...

Hi Gled, no offence..., but I think that your mentality is in a way, as my joke above.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion is that in different situations we use different parts of our body.
    So practice and use all the body parts as a weapon...
    When there is moment for the knee, we use it instinctively... So simple...

Jox,

The joke is people have to ask if its okay goes over heads sometimes....
    technically there are no knees. Where and when you do it ?

VT is not my invention.

I have had many real fights, some where I could only knee at the time, so I have ...I have knocked out with elbows in fights ...on reflection it was not the best choice but its all a gamble.

A knee is not in the distances we try to maintain. Like BG It would be from a bad position. Raising your leg also offers it to be grabbed if applied incorrectly.

I teach escapes from Muay Thai neckgrabs to avoid being knee'd ; ) so its not just knees but avoiding them too...I know several , how about you ?
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-23-2012 at 04:38 AM.

I teach escapes from Muay Thai neckgrabs to avoid being knee'd ; ) so its not just knees but avoiding them too...I know several , how about you ?
    Cool, tell us one Kev

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Cool, tell us one Kev
    I am not discounting normal ideas, lan sao's,gum sa's, etc.. to avoid being kneed in clinch, but it leaves you open to elbow strikes.... Lan sao better to adapt and create takedown barriers and push offs like po-pai...Chuck Liddel used similar to good effect...
    Use hip positions like YGKYM to stay close to his hips, palm the guys face sideways with right hand so he is looking away from you important , stab your other arm inbetween his holding your neck and create a ' lan bar ' lifting one of his arms, one arm higher ,using his other , like a wedge using his arms as the pivoting points......first push~hit/hold his face sideways.... I have seen Sanda fighters use variations. Just adapting lan sao arm angle....
    Bil Gee ideas for recovery.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-25-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

I mean of course you have raising knee to maintain the centerline when a opponent attacks or kicks. You lift the knee up to cover your vital areas. But can Lifting knee be also utilize as an attack?

Knee to the thigh or knee to the (side) of knee - they hurt like hell. IMO I would say yes because you can use the knees to fight with. Knee to the head or to the ribs I would say no unless the person was falling or on the ground and then you catch the opponent with a knee.

Does Wing Chun have a knee Strikes ?

In the second set chum Kiu and 3rd set Bil Jee anytime you see the sifu picking up his knee and kicking , it represents a knee strike and kicking only when you need to kick . Same thing with bil jee too . Or a stomp kick to the knee area .

I ' m going off topic like gung gee fook fu one of the set in Hung ga regardless of lineages , you see the sifu or student picking up his knee and kicking . Anything time you see the practitioner picking up his knee and kicking it represents a knee strike or stomp kick to the knee area .

Does Wing Chun have a knee Strikes ?

Another thing in WC , if the WC practitioner were to catch the kicking leg of the opponent , the WC practitioner can smash the opponents leg over his own knee ,
    in the bil jee set there is a technique where the WC grab hold of the opponents ' arm or leg and redirects in a way that the WC can do the smashing against the knee . This type of move can be seen in gung gee fook fu too .