Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Wing Chun have Knee Strikes?

Does Wing Chun have Knee Strikes?

Does Wing Chun have knee Strikes?

I mean of course you have raising knee to maintain the centerline when a opponent attacks or kicks. You lift the knee up to cover your vital areas. But can Lifting knee be also utilize as an attack?

In my WC every attack is a defense and every defense is an attack...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yep. What kind of Kung fu doesn't?

108 knee strikes. Theres a knee dummy and kneeling pole form along with fighting on your knees if you get cut in the knife form.
    Oh and chi-knee, extensively done in private lessons with, ykw...

I perfer flying knees. Knees to kevin forehead...an retreating knee, knee to chin technique...

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    108 knee strikes. Theres a knee dummy and kneeling pole form along with fighting on your knees if you get cut in the knife form.
    Oh and chi-knee, extensively done in private lessons with, ykw...
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Yep, we hit with the knee... it can be very practical, but it's not any kind of special technique. Just think about the old saying, "every kick is a step and every step is a kick". At the right range, the same is true of the knee. Move like a WC man and you will step, kick and knee your opponent without even thinking about it.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Yep, we hit with the knee... it can be very practical, but it's not any kind of special technique.

I think that line sums up the WC approach to knees pretty well.
    From what ive seen most WC folks will use a knee when opportunity arises (such as a lot of demo clips that finish with a killer knee once the opponent has been overcome), but im yet to see what id call a systematic approach to knees in comparison to say MT

Theres a BIG difference to a knee and a proper structured knee strike

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    I think that line sums up the WC approach to knees pretty well.
    From what ive seen most WC folks will use a knee when opportunity arises (such as a lot of demo clips that finish with a killer knee once the opponent has been overcome), but im yet to see what id call a systematic approach to knees in comparison to say MT

Theres a BIG difference to a knee and a proper structured knee strike
    If by "proper structured knee strike" you mean the kind of specific and very committed knee training you see in Muay Thai, I have to agree. First, WC avoids that kind of total commitment to strikes ...we don't want to compromise our structure and give our opponent something to use against us.

Secondly, the simple, straightforward way we use our knees is part and parcel of the way we step and move. It integrates seamlessly with the stance, steps, and kicks so whether you just step in, kick, or knee is simply a matter of the openings your opponent gives you ...it is all an expression of the same forward intent. I often disagree with Kevin on particulars, but the line in his signature really says it all: It is your opponent who will teach you how to hit him.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 03-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

There is that WSL story where he kneed somebody in the head, closest simplest weapon at the time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Does Wing Chun have knee Strikes?

I mean of course you have raising knee to maintain the centerline when a opponent attacks or kicks. You lift the knee up to cover your vital areas. But can Lifting knee be also utilize as an attack?

In my WC every attack is a defense and every defense is an attack...
    Knee to the thigh or knee to the (side) of knee - they hurt like hell. IMO I would say yes because you can use the knees to fight with. Knee to the head or to the ribs I would say no unless the person was falling or on the ground and then you catch the opponent with a knee.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    There is that WSL story where he kneed somebody in the head, closest simplest weapon at the time.....
    And he was criticized by some WC peeps because "WC has no knees" or some silliness like that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It can be summed up this way:
    Do forms represent every technique/the core techniques in a style?

If no forms from a system have a particular technique, does that mean that technique is NOT part of the system?

In traditional Karate there were no round kicks ( mawashi geri / roundhouse kicks) and you will NOT find one in any of the original forms (katas) of any Okinawan system.
    Yet they added the kick later one because it was a very good technique.
    They didn't add it to any of the forms however.
    Yet ALL styles of Karate now have the roundhouse kick as part of their basic curriculum.
    But there is no arguing that it was added later on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The thread imo illustrates a common confusion...of folks assuming that ther wing chun represents all wing chun.

More accurate to say-- my wing chun has this or my wing chun does not have this and give possible reasons for the presence or absence of x, y or z..

In the wing chun that i do training the knees is very important and knees can be used for various purposes including strikes- the mechanics are different from muay thai.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    The thread imo illustrates a common confusion...of folks assuming that ther wing chun represents all wing chun.

More accurate to say-- my wing chun has this or my wing chun does not have this and give possible reasons for the presence or absence of x, y or z..

In the wing chun that i do training the knees is very important and knees can be used for various purposes including strikes- the mechanics are different from muay thai.

joy chaudhuri
    Can you give me an application of how you'd use a knee Joy?

If by "proper structured knee strike" you mean the kind of specific and very committed knee training you see in Muay Thai, I have to agree. First, WC avoids that kind of total commitment to strikes ...we don't want to compromise our structure and give our opponent something to use against us.
    Not all knee strikes in MT are very committed, as you put it, and as they constqantly train the knee to strike they dont really compromise their structure as much as youd think

Secondly, the simple, straightforward way we use our knees is part and parcel of the way we step and move. It integrates seamlessly with the stance, steps, and kicks so whether you just step in, kick, or knee is simply a matter of the openings your opponent gives you ...it is all an expression of the same forward intent. I often disagree with Kevin on particulars, but the line in his signature really says it all: [I]It is your opponent who will teach you how to hit him.
    Thats easy to say, another thing to do. Are you just going to pull a knee out of the hat as youre marching into him??
    Personally, i think everyone sells short the proper technique and associated practice that is required for effective use of the knees.
    Its like saying im a wrestler but as im going forward ill pull out a perfect WC straight punch, even though i dont practice it.

See my point?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Can you give me an application of how you'd use a knee Joy?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glenn-Good faith sharing answers to good faith questions. I assume you are referring to an application or applications. Application requires development first.Development comes from doing the forms well and doing the relevant drills well and purposefully.

1.For development the forms that I do- empty hand, dummy, and weapons all have motions for knee development. In the dummy alone- there are movements where a lifting knee or footwork knees are involved. A knee can go up. dip down, go right or go left. Power comes from the main axis and the motion however slight of the standing leg. Wing chun knee work is very very close quarters work.

2. On applications- applications depend on the structural inter-relationships of you and your opponent(s). In certain situations if you have not completely moved in you can jam someone's kick BEFORE it picks up full power. If you have some control over the opponent's structure via the head, neck, shoulder, elbow or hand level, you can knee- gut, groin,or head- if he is bending down. You can knee someone's thigh from 4 directions. If you are close but to the side of the opponent and you have both hands at work you can knee a kidney. Many other applications are possible in different situations when practice has been regular.. Proper distance and balance are important keys- not memorized techniques and time wasted on decision making.Hands and legs work together.

joy chaudhuri