Thread: Stoke on Trent (thats in England)

Stoke on Trent (thats in England)

I am looking for anyone teaching Wing Chun in the Stoke on Trent area. So far I know Stafford wing tyun under Mike Gorton and another club under a chap called Simon Berrisford do.
    Does anyone know of any other teachers or small clubs? Possibly even anyone who is adept who wants a training or sparring partner?
    Cheers.

http://www.newcastlewingchun.co.uk/about/

I've also met Sifu Tong Liu who is a cool guy, but his main HQ is in Warrington
    http://www.chinesekungfuwarrington.m...nearyou.co.uk/
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer, are you off your trolley mate? Newcastle Upon Tyne? I think Newcastle Under Lyme would be closer to Stoke.

@sickboy - you mean Simon Bedford? http://www.simonbedford.com/?page_id=52
    It is Ip Chun lineage through Michael Tse.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Spencer, are you off your trolley mate? Newcastle Upon Tyne? I think Newcastle Under Lyme would be closer to Stoke.
    Just putting up some names of guys I know I have no concept of distance once you go North of the M25 dude!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
    I am looking for anyone teaching Wing Chun in the Stoke on Trent area. So far I know Stafford wing tyun under Mike Gorton and another club under a chap called Simon Berrisford do.
    Does anyone know of any other teachers or small clubs? Possibly even anyone who is adept who wants a training or sparring partner?
    Cheers.
    How far are you prepared to travel? Try Sifu Rawcliffe if you can get to Birmingham www.wingchun.co.uk one of my kung fu brothers has also just opened a small school in the south staffs area and you should find a link on the schools page of the midlands wing chun site.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

cheers was after local to Stoke or Newcastle under Lyme. am moving there soon and am a none driver. I had heard there were a few unadvertised or undergroundish clubs in the area but cant find any. just wanted to check out all the options and as the Simon Bedford club seem to ignore emails I wasnt going to bother with them.
    I might end up just going back to JuJitsu to be honest.
    Last edited by sickboy; 03-22-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Sifu Shaun Rawcliffe is a good call if he has anyone near you sickboy! I know you say you might go back to the JuJitsu but give Wing Chun another try!

Sifu Rawcliffe has a very rich history in the UK, he even crossed paths (and hands!) with one of my more famous kung fu uncles, Joseph Cheng.

Ti Fei
    詠春國術

back to kempo then

Quote Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
    back to kempo then
    Shame. If nobody rocks your boat in your area, and you really want to train some decent Wing Chun, you should look at traveling a little further afield.

This forum is far from a directory for the UK Wing Chun scene
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

its a shame really that there isnt one, and when I do searches, and it was the same when I looked into some other styles, forums seem fairly usless for finding clubs unless some one near you goes to one, or clubs are advertised that no longer exist or have moved and do not answer email or messages, even some put up videos on youtube but dont answer messages, but havent even bothered with links to websites or said where they train, I realise that most instructors aint running a business, but they cant be expecting any new students exept by word of mouth. Its anoying to say the least.
    So when I move house in july, I will be canceling my membership where I live now and going back to where I used to live and one of my former I instructors schools or one of the many I shall look at who answer mails.

Better to train at a good gym than at a crappy one just based on style preference.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels