Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weight training

Arm angles and elbows :
    tan , jum...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Arm angle strength is real regardless, fake or not. You can hang body weight on the angle... never mind a few rings.
    a) whose body weight b) why would you want to? tan sau isn't designed to hold things up in the air.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

with regard to weight training, I personally dont bother unless you include the knives and pole. I find my time is better spent on wing chun training. Over the years I've come to realise that performance related fitness both strength and endurance only comes through performance specific exercise (for those who spar, its like the difference between jogging and skipping or sparring, I know guys who can run 20km including intervals but get gassed after three three minute rounds). Exercise bands are about as close as I come and are great if you want to add resistance to a punch as you can line the direction of resistance up with the angle of the punch.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    a) whose body weight b) why would you want to? tan sau isn't designed to hold things up in the air.
    Mine 180lbs ..okay 185 just proving a short 'levers' ability to maintain its position as it attacks, stronger angle than an outstretched, over extended, error making, chasing lever

it emphasizes that one should have a good jut sao ; ) and know what to do next if you cant move it....its a science.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 03-22-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Weights like the rings don't really add resistance to the movement, unless the movement is an upward one.
    What they do is add weight to the arm to strengthen the shoulders, traps, neck and lats, all crucial in any arm striking motion.
    I think that for the "recreational" practitioner what they get out of "standard" training is enough but for anyone that wishes to take his/her MA to the next level then supplementary ST is a must, as is shown by all the old training manuals that show practitioners doing just that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Weight training

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ????? Ip Man did not use iron rings. Someone gave him some rings and took a picture and then with photo shop the rings kept increasing in number in different publications. He used kwans and bjd-s for weighting wing chun motions...and the mok jong.

joy chaudhuri
    Joy , okay I did ' nt know that , but thanks for the information though .

ive got a periodized plan for the year which has strength, endurance, speed and agility and flexibility. Not only does it make you stronger, faster etc. It give you something else to do. Have you ever just trained for 8 hours a day doing VT. You get bored pretty quickly. Adding this into gives more motivation but you can also adapt the excercises to make them more VT-ish.
    All elite athletes do some sort of strength work. Training with a partner etc is too variable to ensure results.