Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you attack first or do you let them?

Do you attack first or do you let them?

Quick question. Regardless of local law, are you taught to attack first in a confrontation or are you taught to intercept the attack on you?

While not speaking for anyone but myself here, I, myself was trained to almost always attack first. One of the goals obtained from good chi sau is the ability to read("feel") motion and distance from an assailant even without contact. I believe, and through testing believe, that by the mere fact that WC is heavily angle based and connected to rotation of the body, that reading an attacking movement comes naturally after many years of good chi sau. What do you think?

hit first, hit fast, hit hard, hit frequently and hit last.....

If there is an opening take it of make it so it depends if I attack first on the situation.....

I usually attack first. Dont know if this is the best way, but it's what works best for me whether it be Ving Tsun, boxing, or cross training.

I wouldn't say that it's an instinct I've refined, but rather I just noticed that if I dont attack first, I get caught up defending an attack and eventually become open to a hit. Then i get hit, and that usually ruins my rhythm and mentality (yea i know that's not a good thing, but im still a noob and working on it lol).
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die...

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post
    Quick question. Regardless of local law, are you taught to attack first in a confrontation or are you taught to intercept the attack on you?

While not speaking for anyone but myself here, I, myself was trained to almost always attack first. One of the goals obtained from good chi sau is the ability to read("feel") motion and distance from an assailant even without contact. I believe, and through testing believe, that by the mere fact that WC is heavily angle based and connected to rotation of the body, that reading an attacking movement comes naturally after many years of good chi sau. What do you think?
    Depends on the situation. I prefer to counter, however, for example, if your sparring partner doesn't want to make a move then I am left with no choice.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Depends on the situation. I prefer to counter, however, for example, if your sparring partner doesn't want to make a move then I am left with no choice.
    I think it depends on your personality. By nature I am a counter puncher. Even in grappling I like the other guy to move first. In sports I always preferred playing defense.
    Mike

If you have the element of surprise, fine. But you have to be serious and follow through with a complete beat down. Otherwise, you should always wait until the other person makes a move on you. If he is postured to fight you are attacking a fortified position, which can end in your getting tagged. His weapons are ****ed and ready. You do not always have to wait him out. You can fake him into making the first real commitment. Once he does that his weapons are then temperarily out of position for defending, and you can then trap or whatever you choose to do in order to neutralize his defenses. You always need to neutralize his weaponry before you actually take your shots. Of course it does not always work like you plan, so you have to be able to retreat or move back and re-enter. Make him give you an opening so that you don't have to expose yourself in a frontal attack against readied weapons. Now, you don't just jump around and dance either. If you have to regroup, do it instantly and come right back in with another fake to draw him into exposing himself, and if that don't work, immediately come under his defense with some very hard, rapid kicks to his knees and thighs, then come right back up and try again. Relentless attack, but but drawing him out first each time.
    I have never been real big on this chi sao thing. Nothing more than a drill to me, and since every real fight you get into will likely not be with a Wing Chun man, your chi sao will not serve you.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I have never been real big on this chi sao thing. Nothing more than a drill to me, and since every real fight you get into will likely not be with a Wing Chun man, your chi sao will not serve you.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whatever floats your boat.Chi sao is not fighting but it helps develop all the key attributes of wing chun,, helps with sensing things coming your way irrespective of the other person's style.
    Of course experience with different kinds of opponents help.

joy chaudhuri

Do you attack first or do you let them ?

Quote Originally Posted by WC1277 View Post

I would let the person attack first , then that way I could claim self defense . If
    I ' m outside of the kwoon .

Since chi sao is basically energy drills ! yeah ! I would attack whenever possible for me .

simultaneously attack them as they attack ..timing is everything

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    simultaneously attack them as they attack ..timing is everything
    ---------------------------------------------------------

A broken clock can tell time twice a day.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------

A broken clock can tell time twice a day.

joy chaudhuri
    A frog in a well only thinks the circle above him is all that exists...

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whatever floats your boat.Chi sao is not fighting but it helps develop all the key attributes of wing chun,, helps with sensing things coming your way irrespective of the other person's style.
    Of course experience with different kinds of opponents help.

joy chaudhuri
    No, it doesn't help develop ALL the key attributes of WCK. One of the biggest key WCK 'attributes' Taan/Bong/Fook rolling chi sau doesn't focus on is how to engage (meaning non-contact-to-contact). Almost every fight I've been in started with a punch, and in some cases a push. But none of them ever started squared up with both hands connected like typically chi sau game..

Regarding the OP, I would let the situation dictate. If it's one-on-one and they enter my space, they should get hit. Not because I chose to, but because I simply have to - they are forcing my hand
    There are times one might have to engage first (multiple attackers, they block the exit path, etc), but then engaging and 'attacking' are 2 separate things. In most cases though, if they haven't thrown a shot or entered my space, why give up my position to go chase them down?

From a legal standpoint, having the philosophy of always thinking "I attack first" can tend to make you appear as the aggressor to most third parties.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

The 'Intercepting fist' is VT thinking, 'cutting the way' ....

like lee said it does depend on whats going on. i prefer to attack first if their guard is down. If I feel threatened, or have been threatened, I take it VERY seriously. If you verbally threaten me you better be ready to fight because I will not hesitate (depending on the situation of course). If they are ready to fight, I would draw them into attack with false opportunity or feint.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    A frog in a well only thinks the circle above him is all that exists...
    ==========================================

wunnerful wunnerful-you know how to think-like a frog...