Thread: KL22 schematic diagram

KL22 schematic diagram

I was hand drawing this while explaining KL22 to a friend. This represents half of what we do in KL22. I thought it would be interesting to share. The diagram is not from any of my teachers, but my personal interpretations. Cheers.

Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Use this for the 4 Pillars of KL22 (mentioned in other posts.) The less we have to move to get the work done, the faster and more deceptive we are.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

John,

Thanks.

Great Sharing!

I saw you use the Yang Taiji power handling scheme. good.

Thanks, really appreciate the diagram! Best thing I've seen on here in a while.

Thanks for this, John. Really interesting.

Cool!

Could you please elaborate on what "Jing Yuan" is?

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Cool!

Could you please elaborate on what "Jing Yuan" is?
    Thanks for the positive comments guys

As Hendrik pointed out, the Jing Yuan is from the IYTC; It is definitely present in WC, just not talked about thats all.

The Jing Yuan is the biomechanical landmark between the lower tip of the shoulder blades; that area naturally supports the power of the upper limb. It has to be expanded. When you push a car, you will naturally notice that when it is collapsed, you will have less power. When expanded are more integrated and expanded.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Thanks for the positive comments guys

As Hendrik pointed out, the Jing Yuan is from the IYTC; It is definitely present in WC, just not talked about thats all.

The Jing Yuan is the biomechanical landmark between the lower tip of the shoulder blades; that area naturally supports the power of the upper limb. It has to be expanded. When you push a car, you will naturally notice that when it is collapsed, you will have less power. When expanded are more integrated and expanded.

Cheers,
    John
    -----------------------------------------------
    Good points. WCabq-from the shoulder points think of a triangle in the center of the body towards the heart. You can direct power to expand that triangle. If you control the momentum you control the other person's balance. There are other triangles as well.
    The more wing chun you do it becomes less mechanistic.Focused and balanced development us involved in these skills. It's NOT new age stuff. There are good eastern and western explanations for this kind of control. Some tensigrity models and some qi models have explanations. Both at Fong sifu's place and mine there is stand with springs for purposes of development. A couple of my good students are good at thiskind of unbalancing...part of structure development One had a head start because he is also a top quality greco roman wrestler. A torn acl kept him out of the Denver Olympic trials before Beijing
    I dont do Gu Lo but that is a good handrawn model that imperial taichi put up and his demo illustrates one version of it.

joy chaudhuri

I have noticed in the forms that there seems to be a subtle use of sinking shoulders/sinking elbows, which use the latissimus dorsii and other muscles in the area of the body between the shoulder blades. Is this the "opening" of the area that you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    I have noticed in the forms that there seems to be a subtle use of sinking shoulders/sinking elbows, which use the latissimus dorsii and other muscles in the area of the body between the shoulder blades. Is this the "opening" of the area that you're talking about?
    Yes indeed. While physically muscles can only contract, conceptually we think of our structures expand and extend. We try to "expand" the Jing Yuan and "extend" the power to the elbows.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Gotcha. This is something my sifu taught all along but I'd never heard it articulated this way. Thanks!