Thread: remake of the 1979 film the warriors

remake of the 1979 film the warriors

i have been living in china for 5 years i am a bit behind the times of what is going on back in the states. i tried doing a google search but cant find a clear answer. did they ever release the remake of the 1979 film the warriors?

That was one of my all time teenage favourites and I haven't heard of a new one which I would have surely gone to. So, I'm gonna go with no. Haven't seen a new version yet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

I really hope they do not remake this film. When they were releasing this flick to dvd a few years ago, one reviewer remarked how great it would be to have street gangs back. Those were not good days, especially in NYC. I lost a cousin to a top level gang member because she wanted out of the gang. From what I have been told, he mentally lost it while in jail.

The movie succeeded in capturing the level of socioeconomic disenfranchisement that existed (and still exists) at the time.

mickey

Can you dig it?

Can You Dig It? The Original Cast of 'The Warriors' Will Reunite in Coney Island on September 13th
    Peter DeStefano
    on September 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm

"Can you count suckas?!"

On September 13th, many original cast members of one of the best New York City cult films ever, The Warriors, are coming out to playeeyaayyyyy in Coney Island.

We're stoked.

It's been 37 years since the film was released and nobody involved really knew it would turn into such a big deal.

Especially considering how 'The Warriors' didn't do so well at the box office initially, the movie's staying power on our popular consciousness is impressive to say the least.

It's with that sentiment in mind that film producer and actor, Eric Nyenhuis, is organizing this reunion, to pay homage to the film by getting as many people together out in Brooklyn as possible.

Nyenhuis told The Village Voice, “Let’s get these boys back on the Q train, let’s get 'em back to Coney Island, let’s get 'em back to Stillwell Avenue. And we’re doing that. Thirty-seven years later, we are doing that.”

We're pumped about this. Besides a mini-reunion at a comic book convention in Atlantic City, there haven't been too many good opportunities to get down Warriors style.

This event "will include a meet-and-greet, autograph signings, a cosplay contest judged by the original cast, and live performances" from a couple NYC punk bands.

And of course, they'll be showing the film followed by a Q&A. Tickets are going fast.

There are two options left: there's a $25 general admission ticket as well as only seven (at the moment) remaining (VIP) "Last War Chief" tickets at $400 apiece.

Definitely grab a ticket now if you're trying to attend; you don't want to miss what will go down at this memorable reunion.

It's survival in the city
    When you live from day to day
    City streets don't have much pity
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I really hope they do not remake this film. When they were releasing this flick to dvd a few years ago, one reviewer remarked how great it would be to have street gangs back. Those were not good days, especially in NYC. I lost a cousin to a top level gang member because she wanted out of the gang. From what I have been told, he mentally lost it while in jail.

The movie succeeded in capturing the level of socioeconomic disenfranchisement that existed (and still exists) at the time.

mickey
    Whatever reviewer said that is an idiot. Gangs never went away, and in fact as anyone should know, in many places are worse and more callous than ever. And what they do in real life can make the gangs in the movie look like caricatures. Now, maybe that reviewer's opinions on gangs were based on fantasy images from movies like West Side Story and Rebel Without a Cause.

For some reason, I didn't like The Warriors as much as a lot of other people did. As a movie I thought it was okay.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-01-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Warriors reassembled!

There's some great vids if you follow the linK. That original film was so much about the soundtrack.

Watch 'The Warriors' Recreate Their Last Subway Ride Home
    Rolling Stone rode the Q Train with the cult movie's cast to Coney Island for a fan-organized event
    By Rolling Stone September 23, 2015

Most of the cast members that made up the titular street gang in the 1979 cult classic The Warriors reunited on the Q Train on September 13th to take one last ride together to Coney Island, where hundreds waited at a fan-organized event celebrating the Walter Hill-directed film. "These subways are different than they were in 1978," actor Michael Beck, who played the head-Warrior-in-charge Swan in the film, told Rolling Stone on the voyage to the Boardwalk.

David Harris (Cochise), Dorsey Wright (Cleon), Terry Michos (Vermin) and Thomas G. Waites (Fox) were also on hand for the celebration, with the original cast greeted at Coney Island by scores of film fans and similarly vested "gangs" who were drawn together by the movie. "Basically, this is a social club for Coney Island," one attendee said. "We started it for the youth though, because of all the gang violence that was happening in our town and what not. We tried to get all the youth to join us instead of joining real gangs."

Motorcycle clubs have also found inspiration in the movie that stresses brotherhood over any odds; remarkably, even the Warriors actors themselves have remained close 37 years later.

In addition to appearances by the cast (who had come out to pla-yyyy-ayy), the event featured small children dressed up like Baseball Furies, dozens of biceps inked with Warriors tattoos, a guy who touted himself as "the Pope of Greenwich Village, the Pride of the West Side" and attendees from as far away as Scotland.

"I just love being here with all the fans. I see kids coming here, eight years old, and I go 'How do you even know about this movie,'" Beck told Rolling Stone. "I found out something today. One of the stunt guys who played one of the Furies, he came up to me and told me, 'Thirty-seven years ago, you broke three of my ribs with a baseball bat.' I told him I was sorry. I didn't mean to." Michos added, "It's a phenomenon I didn't expect, but I'm very happy."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hulu series remake

Missed this when it was first announced. Got it now, though.

The Russo Brothers Adapting Cult Classic Gang Film ‘The Warriors’ For TV With Paramount And Hulu
    by Ali Jaafar
    July 5, 2016 6:30am

Jordan Strauss/Invision for Producers Guild of America/AP Images

EXCLUSIVE: Joe and Anthony Russo are taking a breather from the Marvel world to adapt cult-classic film The Warriors as a one-hour drama with Paramount TV and Hulu. The brothers will reimagine Walter Hill’s iconic 1979 film, itself an adaptation of Sol Yurick’s classic novel. Their take will honor the original film while adding its own unique brand of grit, pulp, sex and violence. The Russo brothers will team with writer Frank Baldwin on the series. The Russo brothers will direct the pilot, although no word yet as to any directing commitment beyond that.

The film was set in 1979, at a time when parts of New York still resembled war-torn Mogadishu, torn apart by rivalry between deadly gangs. A charismatic leader summons these street gangs of New York City in a bid to take it over. When he is shot and killed during the rally, one of the gangs, the Warriors, is falsely blamed for his death and its member must fight their way home while every other gang is hunting them down to kill them. Hill’s film remains a classic of its genre. Who, for example, can forget the psychotic character’s Luther call for the Warriors to “Come out to play”? The cast included Michael Beck and James Remar.

The Russos are the cinematic equivalent of King Midas right now, having crushed the past two installments of Captain America — The Winter Soldier and the even more acclaimed Civil War. The duo also are attached to direct Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War Parts I and II, and have a number of other high-profile projects in the pipeline as producers including Space Runners at Fox 2000, 17 Bridges at STX and a remake of The Thomas Crown Affair at MGM with Michael B. Jordan attached to star.

The Warriors series will be a Paramount Television Production in association with the Russo brothers, Getaway Productions. Joe and Anthony Russo and Mike Larocca serve as producers. Lawrence Gordon (producer of the original film) is an exec producer on the new project. The brothers are repped by WME.

Paramount TV has just wrapped Berlin Station airing on EPIX in the fall and is production on 13 Reasons Why for Netflix with Tom McCarthy directing. School of Rock just wrapped season one for Nickolodeon with a second season ordered as well as of Shooter with Ryan Phillippe premiering on USA this month. Paramount is also prepping The Alienist with Cary Fukunaga directing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

'The Warriors' Reunite

These are all Rolling Stone embedded videos so you have to follow the link if you want to view them.

Watch 'The Warriors' Reunite to Discuss Cult Film's Legacy, Fandom
    Vermin, Cochise, Swan and more look back on Walter Hill's 1979 gangland New York classic in exclusive new video
    By Rolling Stone
    4 days ago

Reimagining the five boroughs as a graffiti-coated war zone, Walter Hill's 1979 cult classic The Warriors made stars out of a group of unknowns and minted a confirmed midnight-movie hit. Decades later, diehard fans still congregate to quote dialogue and celebrate this punk artifact on Coney Island – and in a new exclusive video, Rolling Stone sat down with original Warriors Cleon, Swan, Vermin, Cochise, and more to look back on the film's legacy as it nears the 40-year mark.
    "When you're making a movie, you're just working, you don't think 'cult classic,'" says Brian Tyler, formerly known as Snow. "But when it turns out like this and people follow you for 37 years, it's the best thing out there."
    The fans they never expected to win over were the ones who made the whole process worth it. "I love interacting with the people out there who love this movie, and who gave me a career, bought tickets, watched shows on television," says Michael Beck, who played the gang's war chief Swan. "It resonates with people, because it's a nightmarish look at this city."
    "It means a lot to us, because our fans are family," adds David Harris (Cochise). "It has not lost its juice in over thirty-something years." "They're like my brothers," agrees Fox, a.k.a.Thomas G. Waites.
    Waites in particular had a unique experience making The Warriors, having gotten notoriously fired by Hill and kicked off set. In a bonus interview above, Waites goes over the whole episode.
    "It was the worst day of my life, and yet I acknowledge that I deserved it," he says. "I had a lot of disputatious discussions with Walter and I thought the movie was too violent, and he was like, 'Shut the **** up, you're just the actor.' And he was right!
    "Out of anger and immaturity," he adds, "I asked them to remove my name from the credits." But he keeps a positive attitude about it today, approaching the whole matter as a learning opportunity for young actors. "I've made all the mistakes for you ... you don't have to make them."
    And in a second bonus video, the cast members react to the news that a TV series adaptation of The Warriors has been announced for the near future. Most express curiosity, but the prevailing sentiment? "Good luck at living up to what we did."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips