Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Wing Chun meant to be a complete system?

Was Wing Chun meant to be a complete system?

Just thought I would ask this question..

Reading the history of Wing Chun, it was designed to be learned in a very short amount of time and was designed to help a person beat another specific person.

The "founder" was trained in a southern style of kung fu and then distilled it to be learned in that one year time of hard training. Looking at other southern styles you see many of the same concepts there as well, although not as much time is spent on them in some cases.

So do you think that Wing Chun, was a sort of "kung fu combatives" that was meat and potatoes of it's parent system of the easy to learn apply techniques, or do you think that it was designed to be a whole comprehensive system.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

I personally believe that Wing Chun is a complete Southern Chinese Martial Arts System. That is how I was taught and I had a few years to see and decide if this could be true.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think we have the inability at this point to really know what Wing Chun was all about.

Your lineage may vary, but as far as I am concerned, I've got a stripped down (meat and potatoes - as you said) version of a Kung-Fu system. By the time it got to me, I got a 'core' set of ideas, principles and techniques for a stand-up fighting system.

Plus, what I received is only good for one primary range: closer than striking, but not so close as clinching. There are pointers to different ranges (more like a 'boxing range') but that would need a practitioner to look outside the box a bit.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Blog Entries

This "complete" issue has be discussed over and over in the past. Can you find a girl on this planet who is:

- pretty,
    - rich,
    - cook well,
    - keep house clean,
    - crazy love in you,
    - give you body massage everyday,
    - be you TCMA training partner daily?

Is

- boxing complete?
    - Judo complete?
    - BJJ complete?

There exist no "complete" MA system on this planet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.

The Verdfict is in

An the State rest it case!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

This "complete" issue has be discussed over and over in the past. Can you find a girl on this planet who is:

- pretty,
    - rich,
    - cook well,
    - keep house clean,
    - crazy love in you,
    - give you body massage everyday,
    - be you TCMA training partner daily?

Is

- boxing complete?
    - Judo complete?
    - BJJ complete?

There exist no "complete" MA system on this planet.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

From my experience with HFY, WCK is a complete system. It has core principles, mechanics, theories and technology to deal with all 'ranges' of combat. The system has everything one needs to deal with a kicker, striker or wrestler/grappler. And by that, I do not mean the practitioner is above fault, but strictly speaking from a system POV.
    To date, I have not found the need to add or take away anything within the system's core principles and concepts, nor have I have found one inconsistancy within the system, or been able to find a situation it didn't have an answer for.

But I guess the answer really depends on how one defines 'complete'. WCK was designed to strip away the ideas of styles and focus more on maximum efficiency as a human fighter (vs. animal styles of the time) based on an understanding of Time/Space/Energy and gravity. In that, it is complete.

Others may argue that WCK isn't complete because it may not have certain 'tachniques' in it's forms or application, or that it lacks a ground game as viewed from a BJJ perspective. To me, this is stripping away what WCK is really about and looking at it from a shapes-only POV. Again, this would be a different definition of 'complete' than how I view it
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 03-28-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

On paper, Wing Chun seems to have complete, thought-out, simple concepts. (this is the romanticized part of wing chun that gives the false ego and gets people in trouble)

I would argue that being perfect on paper is only half of the equation.
    Being a complete system (as complete as anything can be with so many variables) would involve having training methods that make the student skilled at performing the concepts in a real situation over and over. (given the student/teacher is capable)

The elephant in the room is that if wing chun is complete, then why are the majority of wing chun students/teachers so embarrassingly bad? Rhetorical, any reason you can come up with is probably true.

I do like Wong Shun Leung's take on wing chun. The system itself is pretty much perfect, but the student could always find new ways to become better at it.

But who really cares about a "complete system" if a 1 year MMA student can beat your ass after 15 years of wing chun lessons?
    Last edited by Sihing73; 03-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Just thought I would ask this question..

Reading the history of Wing Chun, it was designed to be learned in a very short amount of time and was designed to help a person beat another specific person.

The "founder" was trained in a southern style of kung fu and then distilled it to be learned in that one year time of hard training. Looking at other southern styles you see many of the same concepts there as well, although not as much time is spent on them in some cases.

So do you think that Wing Chun, was a sort of "kung fu combatives" that was meat and potatoes of it's parent system of the easy to learn apply techniques, or do you think that it was designed to be a whole comprehensive system.
    IMO Opinion its what it says in the "legend"
    A quick to learn (if taught and trained properly) self defense system to get you out of trouble in a self defense situation... thats it

What is isnt, is a combat sport style that can mix it with the combat sport styles

I do like Wong Shun Leung's take on wing chun. The system itself is pretty much perfect, but the student could always find new ways to become better at it.
    Why is the system perfect?

But who really cares about a "complete system" if a 1 year MMA student can beat your ass after 15 years of wing chun lessons?
    And thats what no one seems willing or able to answer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    this would be a different definition of 'complete' than how I view it
    There is a difference between

- do I have it? and
    - do I need it?

If you live in NYC, you may not need a car and your life will be "complete" without it. If you live in Bastrop, Texas, you will need a car. Your life will not be "complete" without it.

When you see someone did a "flying knee", you may want to do it too. Can you live without "flying knee?" Of course you can. The question is, "Why don't you just collect the flying knee into your toolbox?" The day that you die, you can tell your students, "Our style didn't have flying knee before but it has now because I brought it into our system."
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.

But I guess the answer really depends on how one defines 'complete'. WCK was designed to strip away the ideas of styles and focus more on maximum efficiency as a human fighter (vs. animal styles of the time) based on an understanding of Time/Space/Energy and gravity. In that, it is complete.
    As a striking art, yes. On the ground, there's nothing less efficient than a fish out of water. And the vast majority of WCK practitioners are exactly that on the ground.
    Others may argue that WCK isn't complete because it may not have certain 'tachniques' in it's forms or application, or that it lacks a ground game as viewed from a BJJ perspective. To me, this is stripping away what WCK is really about and looking at it from a shapes-only POV. Again, this would be a different definition of 'complete' than how I view it
    WCK does lack a ground game. That is factual, not opinion, viewpoint, or whatever. I'm really not sure at all what a "shapes-only POV" is. Does a WCK practitioner sucking on the ground have a particular shape? What is the shape of suckage?

If you can't acknowledge weaknesses then you really can't identify and take advantages of strengths either.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Why is the system perfect?

And thats what no one seems willing or able to answer
    perfect, because, not much could be added or taken away from it conceptually to improve the system's logic or reasoning. (that being said, i have met wing chun "sifus" who have little to no concepts in their training. so that's a whatever, too.)

as far as no one being able or willing to answer- i'll take a stab at it. Wing Chun does the fast route in explaining concepts that take most martial artists a lot of hard knocks to learn. Wing Chun bypasses this and backs up everything with reasoning. This allows for a bunch of n00bs to come onto a forum and talk great kung fu game, but they can't fight. Their martial arts knowledge is conceptually high where other martial arts are concerned (usually comparing crap against crap) but they can't go down to an MMA or boxing school and get into the ring. They forgot their entire 101 lesson with the yin yang. Mind AND Body.

also, please stop editing my posts sehing73. you're a mod, not my mother.

perfect, because, not much could be added or taken away from it conceptually to improve the system's logic or reasoning. (that being said, i have met wing chun "sifus" who have little to no concepts in their training. so that's a whatever, too.)
    Not wanting to be argumentative, but "because" isnt an answer. I hear this, WC is perfect thing all the time, but im yet to have anyone prove it.

as far as no one being able or willing to answer- i'll take a stab at it. Wing Chun does the fast route in explaining concepts that take most martial artists a lot of hard knocks to learn. Wing Chun bypasses this and backs up everything with reasoning. This allows for a bunch of n00bs to come onto a forum and talk great kung fu game, but they can't fight. Their martial arts knowledge is conceptually high where other martial arts are concerned (usually comparing crap against crap) but they can't go down to an MMA or boxing school and get into the ring. They forgot their entire 101 lesson with the yin yang. Mind AND Body.
    Yep fair call, but its assuming that all the concepts are correct to begin with. Theories are great until they dont work

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Not wanting to be argumentative, but "because" isnt an answer. I hear this, WC is perfect thing all the time, but im yet to have anyone prove it.

Yep fair call, but its assuming that all the concepts are correct to begin with. Theories are great until they dont work
    not being able to prove it was my point. if it's perfect on paper, but if you can't perform what the perfect concepts/theories state then how complete is a system?

the lack of ground training is easily dismissed in wing chun because the theories state how to avoid such a time-frame, but most wing chun people are going to get sacked and end up on the ground.

So, what exactly does 'define' a complete Martial Art? Surely you are not suggesting an 'empty hand' art is complete?? Karate is not complete.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Is

- boxing complete?
    - Judo complete?
    - BJJ complete?

There exist no "complete" MA system on this planet
    Are you actually being serious???

These 'sports' you list are just that. Sport. Martial Sport, if you prefer. All 'designed' or updated in the last century to enable a safe 'competing' platform. Don't confuse them with Martial Arts!!!

I will offer my definition of 'complete' and see if anyone else can add to my idea. I believe a complete Martial Art must have representation of various areas of practise that help develop us as human beings, not just to fight for fighting sake, but to defend ourselves, our loved ones and the weaker/less healthy members of society. We do this by training people in a number of ways:

1. Form practise. Solo training to enhance technical understanding and basic foundation movements key to a systems development. Many forms have had individual input, becoming more of a 'stylistic' representation of said person/s. This isn't a bad thing, as long as the system knowledge is not sacrificed and lost.

2. Interactive practise. Call it sparring if you prefer! But when you train with a partner to develop your skill, this is 'interactive martial play'. It is our Chisau/Looksau/Gorsau and Sansau platform. But only if you remove the 'competitive' ego driven nature most younger students seem to have these days lol!

3. Equipment practise. Take our Wooden Man as an example, it is unique to our system because of it's scientific design but common in almost all other Chinese Martial Arts as an apparatus that assists in power development. Just like hitting a tree, wall bag, makiwara board or modern boxing pad. Equipment is key to actually feeling contact without injuries.

4. Weaponry practice. I know it's an old cliche and many may disagree, but without weaponry training you're not really training a 'Martial' Art. We are lucky in Wing Chun that we hold two key weapons that enhance our short and long range fighting skill. One of the only Chinese Systems that has detailed knowedge of both imho using only 2 base weapons rather than the original 18 Lohan designs.

5. Cultural practice. Whether it be BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai or Judo every art has it's origins and history and just learning a little about theoriginal culture of any give Martial Art may help join a few dots together. Wing Chun is know to be able to 'talk the fight' due to our basic concepts and if two Sifus meet they have a language and culture they can share, before they even cross hands.

Now, put all that together in a short period of time. It isn't difficult to see how this forms a complete understanding of the Wing Chun system, and if you are honestly missing anything here, go find someone that can help you because this is as complete as any Martial Art need to be imho.

This is the very reason we still exist as a system. This is why I find it difficult to watch people 'add' things like Escrima, or BJJ to a Wing Chun curriculum. We are as complete as we can be, and most if not all the hard work has already been done by the ancestors. All we have to do is continue and Wing Chun will still be here in another thousand years
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術