Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms

Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms

When you fight with wing chun, do you use palm strikes or just punches to attack with?

Are the palm techniques strickly for intercepting incoming attacks or can the palm techniques be used as strikes like pak, gum, wu, gan, and man?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

You shouldn't fight with Wing Chun.

1. She's a girl and that's just wrong.

2. She'd probably kick your butt and that's just embarrassing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    When you fight with wing chun, do you use palm strikes or just punches to attack with?

Are the palm techniques strickly for intercepting incoming attacks or can the palm techniques be used as strikes like pak, gum, wu, gan, and man?
    Yes. Because of cut and crush injuries to my right hand, I can no longer make a decent fist, so that hand was trained for finger stabbing and heel of palm strikes. It is call palm, but actually it is the very heel of the hand, sort of like the wrist without a fist on it. You can actually shove hard enough to break ribs or dislocate joints for an opponent. Also, a flat palm strike, or slap, can create chaos in your brain if hard enough.
    Jackie Lee

I can't believe someone claiming over 15 years in WCK really had to ask if there are palms stikes in WCK
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Good grief!!!

J since some people WC doesn't punch to the face, Use uppercuts, doesn't use elbows or knees. I was just wondering how many people on here WC doesn't utilize the palm strikes? Its a valid question?

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I can't believe someone claiming over 15 years in WCK really had to ask if there are palms stikes in WCK

Good Grief is what i said at the thread about not punching to the face!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Good grief!!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I'm definitely an open hand fighter. Although there is a small decrease in reach, I find many pluses to palm and open hand striking. I love to cut into the crease in the neck(carotid sinus)for fast knockout, so natural with open hand. Easy to stay relaxed and transition from tools like lop sau and pak sau biu sao to strike. Health and blood transfer issues are obvious.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    I'm definitely an open hand fighter. Although there is a small decrease in reach, I find many pluses to palm and open hand striking. I love to cut into the crease in the neck(carotid sinus)for fast knockout, so natural with open hand. Easy to stay relaxed and transition from tools like lop sau and pak sau biu sao to strike. Health and blood transfer issues are obvious.
    thanks for that...very interesting post...glad someone shared there opinion here!

IMHO, Palm is optional except for the face (must use palm on the face). Many reasons why (Jackie mentioned a few) however the most pressing would be infection which can then lead to septicemia or worse. Punch injuries are classified as "Human Bite" in the ER. Very toxic, and not a risk I would take especially with Hep C and HIV/AIDS.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms
    I prefer pines and oaks.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yoshi, maybe you should stop to think about how you phrase your threads. If you'd asked whether people prefer to use palms or punches, or asked if there were any schools that don't use palm strikes, you would have gotten an intelligent (well relatively) discussion.
    In answer to what I think you were asking, personally I use a mix of punches and palms including spade palms, as well as gouges and finger strikes. The weapon used is whatever comes out naturally given the range, angle and opening presented.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use palms

Yoshi , I use palms and fists and use the hand techniques that wing chun has to offer . You have the right and left cross pak sao and the low palm slap block . there is vertical palm strike , upside down palm strike , and the horizontal palm strike , double pal strike . There is palm strike where you can use to deflect an incoming punch and strike the opponent in the right side of the face simultaneusly . The wu sao is to protect the body from retaliation by the opponents' attack . Or when you throw a right punch at your opponent , and he happens to block and grab you attacking hand , and try to pull you off balance , the wu sao is used to prevent you opponent from pulling you off balance .

Here are some WC palm strikes: http://www.youtube.com/user/wckwoon
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Palm striking is something that should be used across all martial arts. Perhaps in something like Muay Thai that is largely a ring art, palm striking is de-emphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Here are some WC palm strikes: http://www.youtube.com/user/wckwoon
    Phil, fyi - your link just goes to you main youtube channel, not to a specific video. Was this intentional?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90