Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Phil, fyi - your link just goes to you main youtube channel, not to a specific video. Was this intentional?
    I see what you mean but I was trying to show me using palms in a "demo". That was the clip I wanted to show.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

No, I meant specifically does your WC utilize palms when sparring or is it only used in forms...I worded it the correct way sir. It may sound wrong but i wanted to hear from others if their wing chun uses palm techniques as offensive attacks as well as defensive hands or the lack there of...

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Yoshi, maybe you should stop to think about how you phrase your threads. If you'd asked whether people prefer to use palms or punches, or asked if there were any schools that don't use palm strikes, you would have gotten an intelligent (well relatively) discussion.
    In answer to what I think you were asking, personally I use a mix of punches and palms including spade palms, as well as gouges and finger strikes. The weapon used is whatever comes out naturally given the range, angle and opening presented.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I use palms all the time navigating this forum.

FacePalms.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    No, I meant specifically does your WC utilize palms when sparring or is it only used in forms...I worded it the correct way sir. It may sound wrong but i wanted to hear from others if their wing chun uses palm techniques as offensive attacks as well as defensive hands or the lack there of...
    What WC doesn't utilize palm strikes???

In my opinion palm strikes represent a higher level of striking in WC. It's more harder to apply compared to closed fists but it's a more versatile weapon. And yes I try to use them as much as possible as well as in sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog-Knight View Post

In my opinion palm strikes represent a higher level of striking in WC. It's more harder to apply compared to closed fists but it's a more versatile weapon. And yes I try to use them as much as possible as well as in sparring.
    thanks for sharing buddy...good post
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Question WC don't fight with palm strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog-Knight View Post
    Welcome to the madness ... gather you already has an handle of why many member here dogged the OP.

Fists are weapons, hands are tools...

Just thought I'd throw my two-pence in...

A quick disclaimer - in my understanding, Wing Chun is a concept-based, effects-orientated art so, as long as your enemy lies bleeding/battered at your feet afterwards, it really is academic how they ended up there. The Wing Chun system simply provides an efficient array of tools to do the job and the various Wing Chun styles give a variety of differing methods based on those tools. To focus on specific techniques detracts from this approach - simply use what works for you (give it a try - that is what chi sau is for!), the forms showcase the various tools available but do not say how to use them or that you should even use all of them.

Anyway, the way I teach is to use punches as a weapon, pure and simple. Chain punches can batter or harry an opponent but you are unlikely to get a 'kill-shot' with one. Palm strikes however are much nastier tools but have to be carefully targeted. Think of chain punching as a machine-gun effect compared to the sniper rifle palm strikes. Palms are much more flexible tools and can 'leak' into the inside gate to cause devastating injuries to the neck/throat in particular. They are a good lead in for chin na techniques also. They tend to be applied from kiu sau rather than jeet sau like punches.

In a similar way, elbows tend to used for destructions against head or organs etc at close range but they can be quite slow and limited leaving you in a bad position if you get them wrong or use them from the off (shotgun effect).

Like everything else, palms, elbows and fists have equal utility as defensive structures, recovery tools or for deformation of structures.

As I said before, find what works for you, it will be a different combination from your sifu no doubt which is why all sifu should teach the whole system, allowing the students to discover their own preferences. Chi sau is your opportunity to play with these structures and experiment in a safe environment.

Fists are weapons, hands are tools...

A quick disclaimer - in my understanding, Wing Chun is a concept-based, effects-orientated art so, as long as your enemy lies bleeding/battered at your feet afterwards, it really is academic how they ended up there. The Wing Chun system simply provides an efficient array of tools to do the job and the various Wing Chun styles give a variety of differing methods based on those tools. To focus on specific techniques detracts from this approach - simply use what works for you (give it a try - that is what chi sau is for!), the forms showcase the various tools available but do not say how to use them or that you should even use all of them.

Anyway, the way I teach is to use punches as a weapon, pure and simple. Chain punches can batter or harry an opponent but you are unlikely to get a 'kill-shot' with one. Palm strikes however are much nastier tools but have to be carefully targeted. Think of chain punching as a machine-gun effect compared to the sniper rifle palm strikes. Palms are much more flexible tools and can 'leak' into the inside gate to cause devastating injuries to the neck/throat in particular. They are a good lead in for chin na techniques also. They tend to be applied from kiu sau rather than jeet sau like punches.

In a similar way, elbows tend to used for destructions against head or organs etc at close range but they can be quite slow and limited leaving you in a bad position if you get them wrong or use them from the off (shotgun effect).

Like everything else, palms, elbows and fists have equal utility as defensive structures, recovery tools or for deformation of structures.

As I said before, find what works for you, it will be a different combination from your sifu no doubt which is why all sifu should teach the whole system, allowing the students to discover their own preferences. Chi sau is your opportunity to play with these structures and experiment in a safe environment.

Very good post. I see some similiaries in the way i was trained concerning yours...Thanks for sharing...

Its really funny how most just talk trash instead of sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_WCK View Post