Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can Wing Chun end a fight?

P.S. If grappling was offered in tandem with the 'standard' curriculum a person wouldn't feel the need for an extra three times a week for another ten years.
    The WC school I attend is also a Machado BJJ affiliate. Since 1999. Way ahead of you.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The WC school I attend is also a Machado BJJ affiliate. Since 1999. Way ahead of you.
    I respect.

"Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

My Two Cents

Certainly MrQuickStep...thanks for your kindness.

I will answer your questions backwards...First off pressure point striking. I agree in utilizing pressure grabs or locks and joint manipulation. But to me you have to be lead there by the opponent. With pressure point striking you can be lead there by the opponent or open the door with a basic techniques like Lop Sau or Jut Sau to get the strike off.

Simply when i say pressure points I don't just mean the little small points you use some special hand technique to strike with. I mean there is a pressure point at the bridge of your mouth or upper lips. Cops use it to subdue someone. Hit this point with a fist or ginger fist...You can do this with free motion striking. Also the Temples are pressure points. As well as the back of the head at the base of the neck. In addition to that behind the ears is weak point and certain parts of neck and throat you can strike with a ridge hand, fist or gingerfist....

Now there are ways to condition and train pressure point striking with a wall bag, century bob and drills and padded sparring. But forget about all that. Just think about how you knocked someone down or you dropped someone when you were using minimal force. That was a pressure point to strike. But I simply say remember about 7 points you feel you can easily hit on the majority of people some high and some low...No more than ten points...An instead of training an iron skill...Why not use a phillips head screw driver, ice pic or or one of those hard bullet fountain pens to strike those points on the body if you can get to them...

The key points to strike in my Kung Fu is:

1.The Nose (break or draw blood)
    2.The Throat or adams apple (Punch or pinch the adams apple)
    3.The groin Kick or slap hard with a inverted palm strike

Secondary targets are
    1.Kick the Knees, scrape the shin
    2.Punch the mouth,chin or jaw
    3.Grab the back of the neck while elbowing in the face

This is what i go for in a fight....

How the torque or turning power is different than the waist Jing...

In my Wing Chun we can use our structure to add more extension to the punch by turning or shifting our horse. This in turns adds more penetration. The entire horse moves in unison with the fist thrusting outwards. We Shift/Turn on the balls of our feet not the heels. Of course extra techniques can be added to give more power like stepping into the opponent as you turn, jing in the hips or waist. or even utilizing of short breath over the natual breathing.

The Curl in my kung fu is what you call the concave chest. in short The Chest is sunken and back is raise. "Pull in the chest, push out the upper back, and bring in the tail bone."

This is something that happens over time from training various drills and conditioning exercises. I never practiced forming a curl. It just comes natural. What you practice is how to utilize the curl. When your reclining or when your at ease standing. Your chest will naturally sink in. Unless your a military man train to stick out your chest with an exaggerated posture. The back is not hunched and the chest is not forced into that posistion. Normally its just that way. We call it the curl.

There are two ways to expel power with the curl.

1.Guards out in Double Wu Sao, Punch while splitting the chest or releasing the curl. when your punch goes out you straighting your body on impact for more extension. Kinda of like a snake that is coiled(curled) and then when it strikes(bites) it straightens for a short second and goes back to its coil. Look at a Rattle Snake or Cobra when they strike straighting out or thrusting out causing their whole structure to change shape!

Rattle Snake strikes

Snake Coils and Strikes

Imagine holding the string of the bow. The indentation of the bow and the tension on the bow it self causes both sides to concave inwards towards one another. When the power is release the string goes back straight and the bow goes back to its normal state. The Power is in the Curl. Its not until you release the bow so that it goes straight does power go out. As Long as you hold the bow in a curl the power is potential when the curl is release the power is actual. Also theres a section in Chum Kiu where your in a natural relax state with the double tan sau and then stomp the ground with a double palm strike...This is also an example of Curl to straight to release power. Curl = Potential or Stored Energy, Straight = Actual or Released Energy.

This is the external way to release the curl. Of course its both internal and external. But this the basic way to utilize the curl. You utilize your power structure to give you more penetration or extension. The Siu Lien Tao in my kung fu has a section with wu sau, fok sau thrice. In it you utilize the the curl to emit or generate internal power. This is more advance way to use the curl. The format is different as you go from straight body to curl body upon impact. Two different structures of a snake. Some snakes attack straight and curl around the opponent and other snakes start off coil and an straighten as they strike. In wu sau coming inward the structure straightens. In Fok Sau dispeling force outward the body curls. Thus upon impact you curl. You can also practice the emission of power utilizing both aspects of the curl to have a condition cycle of attacks utilizing the curl. You train the curl all the time doing the San Sik and doing The Forms Like CK and SLT among other things.

Jing in the Waist or Hips is similiar to what you see chen stylist do when they vibrate the body but not so exaggerated. The training for the Jing is kinda just really shaking the hips to loosen them up. Its more like a stretching or exercising them. You do this for a few minutes every day it makes your Jing stronger. Since in my Wing Chun our structure is different. The Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma is narrower than Yip man lineage. We bring our knees closer together. This is ideal when with in elbow range as you can easily shift and turn the body to administer elbow strikes. In close with a wider stance like Yip Man wing chun it will be harder with shifting. You give up some rootedness for speed and effeciancy. Since the Knees are closer in and the YGKYM is narrower and the horse is smaller. The Jing is more effective with a smaller horse oppose to a wider horse. The Jing we use is shorter than Tai Chi jing. Its short energy. Trying to Jing in this fashion in Yip man horse will be as difficult as trying to shift or turn on the balls of the foot.So you train the Jing to admister more short force. The entire Structure vibrates or jings upon impact. Its more like exploding. You can vibrate the hips or shake the hips upon impact. The Fist and arm vibrates as it thrust out upon impact. It does for some reason deliver more power if done upon impact. Its kinda like a displacement of weight when you step foward while punching. The theory behind the isolated drill of developing or cultivating ging in your hips is the more you do the stronger your jing will be. You combine the jing in the hips or waist with hands and other parts of the body that jing together. Bringing force from the ground up into the opponent. You can also sink in your stance upon impact or right before and jing for different variation of force.

As for the breath I say breath naturally and use the WC short breath sparingly. But upon impact you expel force while exhaling. The Exhale is a short breath. You breath in and out through the nose in a rapid succession which each strike. We practice the forms and san sik with the breath to develop the breath further. Also using the breath in sparring is something you should incorporate in addition to natural breathing. The idea behind the breath is your cycling chi throught your body along with jing through your strikes. As breathing out upon impact you train the body to send chi and jing out with each punch.

Last but not Least Chasing Horse and Shooting Horse...When you dart/lunge forward like Biu Ma or you gallop/skip forward like Toh Ma your body weight displacement is sending your force foward into your opponent. Same when you sink down and punch outward. You send force via your fist to your opponent causing him eat the force an sink down into his stance to do internal damage. Sinking force while striking goes deeper into the internal organs. Striking while rising from the sink repels or expels your opponent causing him to loose his structure penetrate deeper into muscle tissue upon impact. Something simliar is going on with Chasing horse and Darting Horse.

Running after the opponent as you chain strike down his centerline allows you to either keep up with your opponent as he flees or it allows you more extension and weight behind your punches as your body mass converges on his structure causing him to cave. Lunging into the opponent in the midst of his open doors will allow you deeper penetration and harder impact since your body weight and mass is converging on your target at faster rate. The amount force you expel will be heavier and deeper. As you skip or lunge into your opponets centre while striking the back foot drags or remains somewhat connected to the ground. The theory behind weight distrbution in this horse is 30/70. of course depending on the situtation those numbers may change.

I pray that clears up each question MrQuickStep. I attempted to summarize each technique seeing there were a few i was detailing...of course if you want to know about any particular ones in a greater detail let me know.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 04-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Surprise, No one bashed my response...lol
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Maybe the sheer length just stunned people into silence lol!

And before anyone else says anything... that is the length of his post
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Maybe the sheer length just stunned people into silence lol!

And before anyone else says anything... that is the length of his post
    lol...i tried to be brief in my explanation to his questions..sad thing is my brief is other peoples elongated.

Wing Chun isn't perfect no art is. That being said why can't I use a throw or arm break or whatever. There are arm breaks and several sweeps and what not in my school that are found in our forms. I would like to see a guy try to continue a fight after I shovel kick his knee backwards. There are plenty of moves that will end a fight in Wing Chun.

I had class earlier 2 of our guys were sparring and one ended up on his face. This is a direct quote from his facebook page.
    Had fun today in class haha!, but then I found myself on the floor! that sweep came outa nowhere! Lesson learned I think?

[QUOTE=wolf3001;1168707]Wing Chun isn't perfect no art is. That being said why can't I use a throw or arm break or whatever.
    ----------------------------------------

IMO you can if you can!