Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Wing Chun end a fight?

Can Wing Chun end a fight?

I'm asking this since a lot of people says wing chun is perfect! or its a complete martial art! but really how do you end a fight against someone who's coming to kill you...you're not going grapple them and break any joints or bones and you're not going to throw or choke them out.

Do you guys think that wing chun has the power to knock someone out? I've never seen that happen...have you?

Yes Wing Chun Punches are design to be fast,take up space and with the entire body behind it an jing accompanied to it a knock out is very possible.

Three keys

1.Time and Placement
    2.Correct Body alignment
    3.Right Power and Right Force

You need to be able to hit the person at the right place with the right amount power to shock their nervous system an cause them black out. Also if you continously wail on them in the same place continously they will not be able to recover.

Your WC should also have different ways of generating force. From the motions Found in Chum Kiu for Yip man lineage or the motions found in the San Sik in mainland lineages. Since San Sik is given to beginners you learn how to generate power with your horse early on. From shifting to stepping forward.

The force your body exerts as you lunge forward like in Biu Ma coupled with Jing and powerful snapping force is more than enough to knock someone out if you can get a clear and open shot.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuickstep View Post
    I'm asking this since a lot of people says wing chun is perfect! or its a complete martial art! but really how do you end a fight against someone who's coming to kill you...you're not going grapple them and break any joints or bones and you're not going to throw or choke them out.

Do you guys think that wing chun has the power to knock someone out? I've never seen that happen...have you?
    Seen many fights (real as opposed to TeeVee) where at least one person was using Wing Chun? I have seen many actual fights, street fights in Baltimore, I think I have only seen 1 actual knockout and the person delivering the knockout was an exboxer who had been in the penitentiary against a person who attacked him with a knife. I didnt actually witness the fight, just saw the knife man being dragged away.

Blog Entries
    Again, this is one of my favor clips. If you can't do that, you cannot call yourself a WC guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-29-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Great video link by YouKnowWho. While some arts advocate striking then jumping back to keep the distance, WC advocates striking as much and as fast and as hard and as many times as you can and don't stop until the opponent is down.

In KL22 we have pinning and breaking techniques as well.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

If not Wing Chun, at least the practitioner. Yes, It only takes a slight blow to the point of your chin to make you take a quick nap. A good punch can mess up your jaw hinges. There is no reason a wing chun person cannot punch at least as hard as any boxer of his own size and strength.
    Jackie Lee

A system in and of itself does not have "the power" to do anything. It's the practitioner of said system that will or will not have the power. Having said that, WC/VT/WT or whatever definitely give you the tools to train to obtain the potential to. Depends on how much you train and how strong your opponents chin is.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Thumbs down

arguably the most inane thread ever started on here, and its up against some stiff competition
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Iane you say Mr wingchunIan....lets run with that. Because I'm Stupid.

While I bow to you guys superior knowledge I do find 95% of the time you guys are so vague with your answers that it defeats the purpose of a good thread.

Lets start...where does wing chun gets it's power from? Again from 95% of the people here says it comes from your shoulder,elbow and maybe wrist, no waist since it will twist your upper body forcing your shoulders and arms not to be square and if they're not square you can't use your arms equally(against the principals of wing chun). If you use chor ma,side body stance or any other name you want to call the position you're shifting your stance but you body is still square to the opponent so there's no real waist or hip rotation. Theres also power generated from the legs but thrusting forward with you strikes hence adding your body weight but that is only useful in bridging the gap, after you've bridge the distance and occupied there space once the person isn't pushed back you can't generate that power again (no waist/hip twist or forward momentum).

Now we're close range how do you end the fight? If not with a knockout you have to break his will to fight....but if his will is strong and he's coming to kill you maybe he has a weapon or friends what do you do? Do you think you can end the fight quickly enough to deal with his friends?

By the way could someone put up a video of them hitting a heavybag using pure wing chun structure ( no windup and no hip/waist rotation)...thanking you in advance.

Starter of iane threads.
    If we train only to defeat fools then we're not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Again, this is one of my favor clips. If you can't do that, you cannot call yourself a WC guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded
    Shame he's not a Wing Chun guy.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Shame he's not a Wing Chun guy.

He has more cred and respect for doing wing chun than sifu alan orr....this forum is soooo ******

Iane you say Mr wingchunIan....lets run with that. Because I'm Stupid.

While I bow to you guys superior knowledge I do find 95% of the time you guys are so vague with your answers that it defeats the purpose of a good thread.

Lets start...where does wing chun gets it's power from? Again from 95% of the people here says it comes from your shoulder,elbow and maybe wrist, no waist since it will twist your upper body forcing your shoulders and arms not to be square and if they're not square you can't use your arms equally(against the principals of wing chun). If you use chor ma,side body stance or any other name you want to call the position you're shifting your stance but you body is still square to the opponent so there's no real waist or hip rotation. Theres also power generated from the legs but thrusting forward with you strikes hence adding your body weight but that is only useful in bridging the gap, after you've bridge the distance and occupied there space once the person isn't pushed back you can't generate that power again (no waist/hip twist or forward momentum).

Now we're close range how do you end the fight? If not with a knockout you have to break his will to fight....but if his will is strong and he's coming to kill you maybe he has a weapon or friends what do you do? Do you think you can end the fight quickly enough to deal with his friends?

By the way could someone put up a video of them hitting a heavybag using pure wing chun structure ( no windup and no hip/waist rotation)...thanking you in advance.

Starter of iane threads.
    Who said there was no hip rotation in WC. It's not any one part of the body anyway. It's just the arms, body, and legs linked together in unity. Kind of like a cylinder spring that's twisted and then released. Essentially the feet are one side of that spring attached to the ground and your arms are the other side. ....and there's a big difference between punching with the fist and punching with the elbow. The body follows the elbow, not the hand....

Question 1: How do you rotate your hips for power without ending with one of your shoulders leading?

Question 2: How do you generate power for your strikes with your legs from close eange?

Please excuse me but my reason to use this forum is to become a better martial artist....not to kiss a** or become a troll.

He has more cred and respect for doing wing chun than sifu alan orr....this forum is soooo ******
    Can you show me some documentation to that? I have just done a search on Vitor and what I can find is he is a BJJ black belt with good boxing skills.

If he has done WC who did he train with and when? Please post a link to your information and a link to someone saying he did in a forum doesn't count.

Thanks
    Mike

Question 1: How do you rotate your hips for power without ending with one of your shoulders leading?

Question 2: How do you generate power for your strikes with your legs from close eange?

Please excuse me but my reason to use this forum is to become a better martial artist....not to kiss a** or become a troll.
    It's hard to explain without showing but at least in our system it's similar to a tai chi strike but obviously different to a large degree too. If you were to slow it down to milliseconds, technically, our knees and hips actually initiate the movement before the elbow starts pushing. Try this to just feel the reverse motion of that hip and knee rotation. Get in your mother stance. Hopefully you have that down pretty good. Extend your arms in front of you at a good triangle with your palms placed together along your centerline. Do not pull the wrists back like a wu sau. Make sure your elbows are nice and sunk. Now without moving your arms at all rotate your upper body to the left or right and then release any muscle you used to rotate. If you have a good structure you should automatically come back to center. You should also feel a crunch like feeling in your navel and twisting in both your knees and hips. That feeling is essentially what you're generating when you attack correctly. Like I said this is a reverse engineering example. Hope that helps...