Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punching Sensei in the Gut

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    seriously, this is not a good practice. one can get serious internal injury.
    Seeing as how many Okinawan karate practitioners seem to be able to practice their art into their advanced years i think its best to say they know what they are doing no?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Seriously guys.... what's the chance of getting in a confrontation WITHOUT getting a scratch? Unless the you are way way way better than the opponent, he will land some hits on you. Don't forget, unless your attacker is a total idiot, he is going to size up his odds before fighting you. Which means most fights occur only when the attacker has a good chance of taking you out.

If you can't handle a few hits, you are going to fall. I am not advocating "taking hits" over "issuing hits"; but anyone who is serious about their training should learn to take hits, at least as an "insurance".

True, no one can train themselves to take hits on the chin, eyes, balls (I'm still not convinced) etc. And there are many other areas that cannot be conditioned. But at least decrease the number of targets the opponent can capitalise on, and increase the force necessary to strike you down.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Seeing as how many Okinawan karate practitioners seem to be able to practice their art into their advanced years i think its best to say they know what they are doing no?
    i have an incident with an okinawan train karate ka friend on this.
    he insists on testing it. and cause him to sick for a few week taking a strike.

So, sure, ordinary punch might be ok. not WCK inch strike, the penetration and density is like a bullet. just no point to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Seriously guys.... what's the chance of getting in a confrontation WITHOUT getting a scratch? Unless the you are way way way better than the opponent, he will land some hits on you. Don't forget, unless your attacker is a total idiot, he is going to size up his odds before fighting you. Which means most fights occur only when the attacker has a good chance of taking you out.

If you can't handle a few hits, you are going to fall. I am not advocating "taking hits" over "issuing hits"; but anyone who is serious about their training should learn to take hits, at least as an "insurance".

True, no one can train themselves to take hits on the chin, eyes, balls (I'm still not convinced) etc. And there are many other areas that cannot be conditioned. But at least decrease the number of targets the opponent can capitalise on, and increase the force necessary to strike you down.

John,

IMHO,
    Not the Cold Jin. one strike in the front of the body it penetrate to the back of the body. even people with iron body or taiji expert they cant take it. it is just too high a density.

recently after I watch an advance fajin demo with different part of the body. I told this famous taiji master, I said, it takes only one year to train to strike the point jin but a ten years trainner might not be able to recieve or handle the jin. he told me, it might be possible to handle but I rather not to face that type of jin.

in my opinion, forget about the iron body or recieving jin....etc. because in real life that is not very practical stuffs. too late and too many things easy to go wrong. not to mention the over confident get one into serious trouble.

if cannot avoid the strike, use the strike to bounce off to dissipate the power instead of take it as the macho sensei. that is suicide. those type of training get one into a habit of take the strike full power.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 04-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Only the ones that do not die of failed livers or crushed hearts.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

I don't think anyone is ever going to get into a serious fight that is not going to take a few shots. It happens. The idea here is to minimize this occurance. Most times when we take a shot it is not a full force or even close to full force as it is most likely a glancing blow or one that is chasing you as you retreat. If you take a full force blow, chances are you are going down.
    As a teenager my jiujitsu instructor was taking me through a scenario where you would be fighting in a room with furniture and other structure. He subdued my striking arm, forcing it across my body, neutralizing both arms in the process. At the same time he was forcing me back until I made contact with structure and went backward over it. He then lightly slapped me with a downward open palm into the solar plexus. That is the area where the abdomen meets the ribs in the center. The wave of shock energy went downward and by the count of 5 I was on the floor. It took my breath, and the pain felt like I was having a 12 foot log chain being dragged out my butt. I had about the hardest stomach of anyone I have ever known or seen too. The solar plexus stoke became my most favorite from then on.
    Jackie Lee

Some other "testing" cases.
    In the Las Cruces, NM and El Paso Texas area there used to be a an old school Japanese sensei
    who insisted that his students trust him enough to let him choke them and then revive them. Also in a university activity class he would, until he was told to desist,throw his students against the walls in the activity room
    if they violated his dojo protocol.

In Ed Parker's kenpo- once upon a time the black belt prospect had to stand still and take a kick in the gut from his sensei.

I would decline either test.

There might be something to what you are saying, but it could just be that some survive to practice in old age in spite of their art. Also, other factors unrelated to the martial arts practice might allow people to practice to old age.

102 ! Chu Chung Man of Weng Chun
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Learning how to take a shot is and always has been part of EVERY single style of MA training.
    The method used by typical Okinawan is to focus taking body shots in the one area that can be best conditioned, the stomach.
    It is not and has never been a method to take shots ANYWHERE ELSE.
    Part of the training is to position oneself in a way that a liver shot ( for example) does NOT land in the liver but lands on the conditioned stomach.
    You'd think that every MA that has actually fought would know this.
    Obviously not on this forum.
    Sure there are excpetions to this, silly people that do silly things to themselves, but they are the exception and not the rule.
    Once again, the drill is used to condition the stomach area ( abs) to take shots WHILE fighting ( not just standing there) and to learn how to position oneself so that any strike that does get through ( and in a fight strike get through) will NOT hit a vital spot but make impact where we want it to.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !