Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ways I can start back training again?

Question ways I can start back training again?

I want to get into shape, endurance/ strength wise. I'm a senior majoring in information technology at UCF, meaning I'm sitting down at the computer most of my time. I was studying Wah Lum Pai Praying Mantis, about 6 years ago for about a year and 1/2, then I stopped because of a mix of time, $$, and not signing back up when i was due to renew. Since then I've been debating to sign back up, but I unfortunately I haven't be able to get the funds. Also I used to go running regularly 4 years ago then got lazy. What do you suggest? I know I should get back to running. Also I have one other question, I found this video "Hung Gar Tutorial With Chiu Chi Ling" has anyone watched/learnt from this? has anyone watched/learnt from this?

Don't learn from a video, unless you already know the instructor and can interact with them.

Just get back into running slowly.
    Do calisthenics & lift weights.
    Run through what you remember of the wah lum basics (like stances).
    Get yourself in shape and when the money's right, then get an instructor to add some skill.

start slow, even one time a week is good.
    slowly build from there.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    start slow
    That's what I was going to say, too.

Always err on the side of starting too slowly. Not only can jumping back into things be bad for you and cause you to get injured, it can also burn you out so you don't end up sticking with it.

Regarding learning from video, obviously it's not as good as learning from an instructor, but I've found that people who already have a foundation in martial arts tend to do better at learning from a video.

In other words, if someone is a total noob, if they try to learn from video they will probably make a lot of mistakes but won't realize the mistakes because there is no one to correct them.

But if you have studied with a teacher in the past, you most likely have the correct basics/fundamentals of things like how to throw a punch, how to move your weight, etc., and if you study from a video you will still probably get things wrong here and there, but you will do much better than the first guy with no experience.

In this day and age with video recording on cell phones and stuff, you can always record yourself and post it on youtube and get input from others. Although some people will say bad things even if you're doing it right
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if you want to get back in to CMA and are interested in mantis there is a great mantis teacher in Tampa...bit of a drive I know, but he usually does saturday classes. Tainan Mantis is his alias here and he mostly posts on the Mantis subforum.

and, as far as general physical conditioning: what those guys said.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If you want to start with running first work on a goal and find motivation. If you are like me, and don't love running but want to do it anyway, the motivation can be the first hurdle. What I do is run home from work. That way I have something to run for. If you have a long commute that may not work, but you can use a similar idea. Also you can go to an actually running shoe/supply store and see if they organize group runs, that is a good motivator, and they can help you define some running goals.

If you remember any of your kungfu, start working on ur form and flexability on your own until you can find a place or people to train with/at.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

cfc106,

Im down in Orlando every few months. I have students that drive up from Miami to train with me. Ill be in Orlando again in May or June. When Im there, hit me up, Ill give you a free session of what I teach. Maybe I can spark your interest in the arts again--when you really get addicted, you find ways to make sure time and money are not issues.

I'll echo the common sentiment here and also recommend you start slow. I would, however, recommend 3-4 times a week in order to really start getting back into it. I feel, personally, that once a week would be counterproductive.

It all depends on you, though...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Greetings,

I also agree with the previous statements.

Real kung fu is in the continued practicing of the basics. Take full advantage of your institution's gym. Will you be be allowed full and free access to the gym as an alumnus? Something to consider.

mickey

First of all, do a ritual or some kind of 'event' to usher in your return to the family of martial arts. Welcome back!!! U know the drill... Start your root.
    Gain your foundation. See if there are other boxers in the neighbourhood and get a pit goin
    g. Go back to formal training ASAP. Start goin medieval on your ass...Back to normal in no time
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

don't get stuck in the weeds!

1.begin
    2.continue

there, you're on your way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Routine.
    Make sure you get one that you can stick to and that will work for you.
    Life tends to be very busy so you need to be objective in that amount of time you truly have and can invest in your MA.
    Based on that, you then make a schedule that you can truly adhere to.
    Doesn't matter if it is 2x a week or 3 or 4 or whatever, doesn't matter if it is 30 min or 40 or 60.
    What matters is fitting it in a way that you CAN and WILL do it on a regular basis.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ways I can start back training again ?

Quote Originally Posted by cfc106 View Post
    I want to get into shape, endurance/ strength wise. I'm a senior majoring in information technology at UCF, meaning I'm sitting down at the computer most of my time. I was studying Wah Lum Pai Praying Mantis, about 6 years ago for about a year and 1/2, then I stopped because of a mix of time, $$, and not signing back up when i was due to renew. Since then I've been debating to sign back up, but I unfortunately I haven't be able to get the funds. Also I used to go running regularly 4 years ago then got lazy. What do you suggest? I know I should get back to running. Also I have one other question, I found this video "Hung Gar Tutorial With Chiu Chi Ling" has anyone watched/learnt from this? has anyone watched/learnt from this?
    cfc , we all get lazy as we exercise to help keep ourselves healthy , I ' m just like you too , just do it , no need to think about it just do it . You do have options as you said in your thread . If you don ' t have the money for kung fu classes , then why not go back to running or walking in your neighborhood .

Chiu chi ling hung gar tutorial , If it ' s the tiger / crane DVD I got it , it ' s good .
    I also have his gung gee fook fu DVD just as good . When you get the funds , then you can go back training . For now go walking or running . I try to go walking everyday , then that way you feel better , because you ' re keeping yourself healthy . Nobody will take care of you , so you need to take care of
    yourselves .

First step is not looking for extrinsic motivation.

Second step is to stop thinking about it. Over-thinking is a huge killer. It doesn't matter what you do right now, it only matters that you are doing SOMETHING.

Third step is consistency. Turn your mind off and just do what needs to be done.

Bottom line is that you came to an internet forum looking for motivation. Since you're an IT major, this tells me that you need to unplug. School and work you have to be here. When you're not, go outside. Go for a walk. Climb a tree. Go for a swim.

It doesn't matter. The more you disconnect from what people seem to think is the real world now(the internet) and get moving, the more you'll want leave this **** at the office.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

cfc106,

The first thing you need to do is build up persistence. Martial art training is an activity that needs persistence in order to be good at it. The reason that I make this suggestion is that you look like that is what you lack.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 04-13-2012 at 12:00 AM.

dont train for feelings or mood, dont focus on forms.

find a school that teaches real conditioning. if you can only find schools that teach just forms stick to dvds.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-13-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC