People have pointed out the missing elements in the following clip such as:

How to

- set it up?
    - finish?
    - counter?
    - counter the counters?
    - train solo?
    - enhance it with equipment?

This is why a single "technique" clip is not sufficient. If you want to teach your students, you will also provide all the above information and not just a single "technique" clip as the following.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima.../osotogari.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Many advanced practitioners of arts watch competition video, as opposed to instructional.
    Because you can learn how to set a certain technique up. Here is a good example how to set up a turn back/hook kick. IMO, it's easier to learn a technique, it's much harder to learn how to set it up against a full resistence opponent.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...1092556new.gif
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Hello,

Okay, then let me say this:

If you want to just learn the movements or the shapes you can "learn" from Video or Online.

If you want to learn the application, especially against resisting opponents, then you need to "learn" from an instructor or someone more senior than yourself.

Lots of MMA fighters have videos out there.......................I would like to know of just one who actually fights who learned from Video or Online.........and wins

There are too many subtleties entailed in understanding and applying a martial art to be learned from Video or online. Yes you can gain insight but the level of skill will be subpar to one who has trained under an instructor.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Blog Entries
    When a teacher teaches a 50 students class, and if he only uses his senior student to demonstrate his technique. The rest of his students just get their partners and repeat the same move as shown. What's the difference between learning in this environment that you can only see your teacher from a distance vs. learning from video with partner?

Every single word that the teacher has said in the class can be repeated in the video tape as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When a teacher teaches a 50 students class, and if he only uses his senior student to demonstrate his technique. The rest of his students just get their partners and repeat the same move as shown. What's the difference between learning in this environment that you can only see your teacher from a distance vs. learning from video with partner?

Every single word that the teacher has said in the class can be repeated in the video tape as well.
    The difference is that a good instructor and his seniors will move around the room and correct those learning. The feeling or actual physical correction cannot be duplicated by video learning. Also, the instructor is available to show the student things in person.

Besides, most Wing Chun classes I have taught or visited are less than 50 students.
    Peace,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

If that teacher is not looking at what you are doing and if he is not correcting your moves, it is the same thing and it is bad teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

Okay, then let me say this:

If you want to just learn the movements or the shapes you can "learn" from Video or Online.

If you want to learn the application, especially against resisting opponents, then you need to "learn" from an instructor or someone more senior than yourself.

Lots of MMA fighters have videos out there.......................I would like to know of just one who actually fights who learned from Video or Online.........and wins

There are too many subtleties entailed in understanding and applying a martial art to be learned from Video or online. Yes you can gain insight but the level of skill will be subpar to one who has trained under an instructor.
    There was an MMA fighter that started competing and winning from learning MMA via DVD and working out with partners in a home gym.
    I forget his name.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

BON there's a wing chun 'app' for Blackberry
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There was an MMA fighter that started competing and winning from learning MMA via DVD and working out with partners in a home gym.
    I forget his name.
    If you aint got video it never happened

Or so I've been told.
    Peace,

Dave

Or so I've been told.
    --------------------------------------------
    Possibly Jim Corbett never knocked out John Sullivan

joy chaudhuri

Learning from video is easier than learning from a book, but then it also depends on many variables. How well it is illustrated, how well the instructor explains, and then how well the student understands. If you don't have an ability to understand fighting concepts you are not likely to learn fighting well. Then if the instructor does not convey the knowledge in a learnable manner, you will not learn. Most books are sketchy at best and do not really cover. They are just mostly designed to take your money before you figure out it is crap. Then again, video is much the same. Not everyone can teach. You don't have to be an undefeated champion to teach others to fight, but you have to be able to convey your complete thoughts in a manner to cover all points. Your not going to find that in a book or dvd. You are not really likely to find that in a kwoon either.
    Master Wong comes to mind.
    Jackie Lee

I think that's difficult,

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I forget his name.
    The late evan Tanner taught himself Submissions submission and grappling techniques using instructional videos created by the Gracie family.
    I also believe Jeremy Horn also learned his early skills from videos before going over to Japan

Or so I've been told.
    plenty of clips of both of them in action

Mainland online tuition http://youtu.be/wW8iw7UCgsE