Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pin Sun Wing Chun (new clip)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Fung Jia Pei is just demo'ing a few elements of his Wing Chun. I posted this to show some stuff that is not your common wc actions with the hope of others doing the same. I also thought it would be helping others to get a better look at Master Leung Jan's teaching from the 1890's.
    It's all good stuff Jim, I personally love to see this sort of stuff but it was a bit of a teaser imho!!

And I feel like I must add that this way of training Wing Chun is also getting more common in and around Guangzhou too with many new Sifus springing up all the time, most recently linked to Yiu Choi and others. As Joy has already pointed out, most of the earlier Fatshan and Gulao stuff is present in some Ip Man lineages and this isn't because they know anything about Pin Sun/Gulao WCK as such, it's because Ip Man had already done the work integrating it into what he taught.

The 108 Wooden Man is an excellent example of this fme.

The first action is a piece of the Big Wing done with a single hand to show one of its applications. Basically a closed fist "jit jee". The uppercut looking fist is not an uppercut. Notice his follow up after that action is a strike with reverses line mechanics. Its more like a closed fist "gan sao".
    C'mon Jim! You know I know you know the actual 'names' of these sets/movements so please share!!

Or are you saying these exercises sit outside the formal 12 hands??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

C'mon Jim! You know I know you know the actual 'names' of these sets/movements so please share!!
    Well why dont you say what they are if you know?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Well why dont you say what they are if you know?
    Did I say that? No.

Even so, I am sure we use slightly different terms and it will all depend on whether these specific movements are within the 12 hands or if they are additional exercises, perhaps part of a 22 point system instead. Anyway, it's better for Jim to share, as he is the main man here with regards to the Fung Family.

Then again, when I say 'we' I actually mean Joe Lee/Austin Goh students because (like I have said so many times) I was not taught Kulo/Gulao village or PSWCK, although many of my peers say they see it in my movement I simply have another understanding of what it is... which I am sure I have also tried to share here!! But not today
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer,

Or are you saying these exercises sit outside the formal 12 hands??

JJR wrote:

The first action is a piece of the Big Wing done with a single hand to show one of its applications. Basically a closed fist "jit jee".

The uppercut looking fist is not an uppercut. Notice his follow up after that action is a strike with reverses line mechanics. Its more like a closed fist "gan sao".

First, the whole I Know You Know I Know gave me a chuckle. LOL Do you really want my honest thoughts on that???

I wrote what they were doing even tho you think differently. None are a "Complete Set" from the twelve if this is what you are asking or thinking. If so, you are wrong.

The first action is the first piece of Dai Bong set done with a single hand which also happens to be the same idea as the Jit Jee Sao. The only difference is that Jit Jee is done with an open hand. Jit Jee is part of Jit Jee Kum Kiu so the first action is not the full Dai Bong and not the full Jit Jee Kum Kiu but a piece being demo'd just like I said it was.....

The next action was an isolated piece of the Hok Bong set done with a closed fist and also certainly not the complete set. He is breaking some stuff down and isolating it for demo just like I said it was.....
    Jim

First, the whole I Know You Know I Know gave me a chuckle. LOL Do you really want my honest thoughts on that???
    Honesty would be the best option for all of us no?! I'm just happy you at least are beginning to understand my humour!

I wrote what they were doing even tho you think differently. None are a "Complete Set" from the twelve if this is what you are asking or thinking.
    As I thought sir!

... the first action is not the full Dai Bong and not the full Jit Jee Kum Kiu but a piece being demo'd just like I said it was.....

The next action was an isolated piece of the Hok Bong set done with a closed fist and also certainly not the complete set. He is breaking some stuff down and isolating it for demo just like I said it was.....
    Also, unsurprisingly, this is also as I thought sir!!

I have no problem with seniors such as Fung Jia Pei doing this as it does protect the original sets from the internet vultures! I myself, and my Sifu, and even Lee Shing himself done exactly the same and I personally continue to do so because I am not 'teaching online', I am simply sharing ideas.

FYI I am going to one of my uncle Joe Lee's first 'social' events as I bumped into one of his senior students who just happens to now live across the road from me!! Crazy But I have been asked to possibly share something with his students and I am sure they too will show a few bits so I will see if anything is worth putting up online (with his permission of course!) He is one of the only students of Lee Shing who CAN talk about some of this stuff as it was the main ingredients of his learning.

If I can help in any way share more information and bring our worlds closer together then I am here dude...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer, there is no doubting your passion for Wing Chun. But you do come across funny sometimes ..... dude.

i've heard lots of names and lots of it looks like an action we have etc but still haven't seen an explanation of what is being demo'ed. What are the proposed applications of the various techniques on display? Its also interesting that no one has made any observations beyond the hands and arms.
    I'm determined not to be critical as it is different to what I have been taught, but it would be good if someone in the know could provide some insight into what is supposed to be going on.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    i've heard lots of names and lots of it looks like an action we have etc but still haven't seen an explanation of what is being demo'ed. What are the proposed applications of the various techniques on display? Its also interesting that no one has made any observations beyond the hands and arms.
    I'm determined not to be critical as it is different to what I have been taught, but it would be good if someone in the know could provide some insight into what is supposed to be going on.
    Kevin had his take on it and cudos to him.
    Im sure Jim could give you more specific applications if and when he wanted to.
    And Spencer will waffle on about seeing stuff only people "in the know" would recognise, somehow tie it in with Lee Shing (is there anything that man couldnt do!), reiterate how Ip Man was a fighter and a scholar.... and he STILL wont give you an answer

Anyway, rant for the day over

Beautiful action, excellent coverage. Don't really care what it is called. If it works, it's good.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hammerfists and uppercuts in WC? that's just crazy !
    Those low strikes are in another WC lineage. ;-)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Just an observation:

The hexagonal/triangular diagram I posted a few weeks back?

Is anyone else seeing it?
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Spencer, there is no doubting your passion for Wing Chun. But you do come across funny sometimes ..... dude.
    Funny ha ha funy? Or funny clown funny??! Am I here for all your amusement?

In case you missed it that too was supposed to be funny...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Kevin had his take on it and cudos to him.
    Im sure Jim could give you more specific applications if and when he wanted to.
    And Spencer will waffle on about seeing stuff only people "in the know" would recognise, somehow tie it in with Lee Shing (is there anything that man couldnt do!), reiterate how Ip Man was a fighter and a scholar.... and he STILL wont give you an answer

Anyway, rant for the day over
    Interesting rant that really exposes your lack of understanding me yet again.

There was nothing special about my Sigung, or at least that's what HE thought! He was a chef! His love for Wing Chun was simply what drew people to him and it was his own students that first called him a Master, nobody else. Yes, he learnt from more Sifus than anyone else I have ever heard of. Yes, I do believe the intelligence of Ip Man had the most adverse effect on the Wing Chun we all know today and I will ALWAYS give an answer if I can (as you shoud know already) AND I have shared clips too that are picked to pieces by people with a slight allergy to anything more traditional, like using operatic flare during performances! As this thread clearly shows, some of us do not believe in sharing exactly what it is we do online through Youtube. Get over it.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses, as does the Wing Chun system.

Even here, Jim has shared something you have never learnt and you still can't give credit to others that have experienced at least a taste of what he is talking about.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 04-12-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Beautiful action, excellent coverage. Don't really care what it is called. If it works, it's good.
    Don't care? Seriously?

I would have thought that you at least would understand the importance of the kuit that comes with specific sets like the 12 hands, especially consdering you actively promote yourself as a Kulo 22 Sifu???

Did you not learn the language with your actions? And more importantly, what effect would it have on your own teaching ability if you didn't?? Srange comment to say the least...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Don't care? Seriously?

I would have thought that you at least would understand the importance of the kuit that comes with specific sets like the 12 hands, especially consdering you actively promote yourself as a Kulo 22 Sifu???

Did you not learn the language with your actions? And more importantly, what effect would it have on your own teaching ability if you didn't?? Srange comment to say the least...
    Spencer, the more I look at it, the more I train, the simpler it is becoming. 12, 22, 40 or whatever, it boils down to more or less 2 types of power generating methods, 3 hand movements and 2 kicks; all the various moves are just extensions of these fundamentals.

The methods (Kuits) are important, names to me are not.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"