Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Soo ... ?

shakey camera work, obviously compliant. hard to tell from that vid other than hes using techniques on someone letting him. looks like demonstration.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

light to no contact it looks like. hes 'hitting' the guy in the head, and his head is moving, but i dont htink there is much contact as the guy getting 'hit' is wearing sunglasses......

could be good could be bad, dunno. have you gone to a session with them?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have no idea why they were wearing gear... It's not like they were hitting each other at all...

This is like people who use a swiss ball...to walk around during bagua... lol

No really, that's some glamming.

P.S don't train like that!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

why the 'ninja' mask when his name is plastered all over it?

Ed Parker and his students were doing the same thing back in 79...lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMNGp5XRvcE
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    Ed Parker and his students were doing the same thing back in 79...lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMNGp5XRvcE
    Equally as awful.

American Kenpo = why use one direct attack when you can use 37 flimsy attacks instead?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    could be good could be bad, dunno. have you gone to a session with them?
    No, just came across the video. I couldn't tell if it was kind of a cool idea or simply high camp.

And that Ed Parker video... some of that stuff if goof-tastic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    When you make 1 move, your opponent will response with 1 reaction. It's very unlikely that you can make 5 moves and your opponent can only respond with 1 move (when his legs are free), unless you are 5 times faster than your opponent.

Why do you want to hit your opponent 5 times (while standing) and then take him down? Why don't you just take him down on your 1st contact and then hit him 5 times when he is on the ground (he is not going anywhere)?

If you are a

- striker, you want to knock down your opponent on your 1st punch.
    - grapper, you want to take down your opponent on your 1st throw.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Are you serious? That was complete garbage! The overacting, the hidden identities, the sloppy technique. It reminds me of an Aikido demonstration where the instructor barely touches the student and the student throws themselves across the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Equally as awful.

American Kenpo = why use one direct attack when you can use 37 flimsy attacks instead?
    I know...hahahaha
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you make 1 move, your opponent will response with 1 reaction. It's very unlikely that you can make 5 moves and your opponent can only respond with 1 move (when his legs are free), unless you are 5 times faster than your opponent.

Why do you want to hit your opponent 5 times (while standing) and then take him down? Why don't you just take him down on your 1st contact and then hit him 5 times when he is on the ground (he is not going anywhere)?

If you are a

- striker, you want to knock down your opponent on your 1st punch.
    - grapper, you want to take down your opponent on your 1st throw.
    I'm with ya...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Definitely not somewhere I'd send a kid.

I'm not sure why the Ashida Kim ninja headwrap either. But the link below is a video of old footage of Jimmy Woo, founder of San Soo doing a demo. That might give you a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFU7p...eature=related
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Looks like most the San Soo workouts I have seen. Maybe a little harder than nost. I have studied San Soo and really liked many of the techniques. I did not like the fact that they do not spar against resisting partners. There are some San Soo people who are taking it up a notch and sparring; even grappling, but they are far and few. The problem is many instructors are not into cross training or hard sparring. Too bad because the style has a lot to offer.