Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Time Student Leaving The School

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's Confucian constraints that would lead a school and student to react so. Here in SF, we could care less. Want to leave and go some where else? Go for it. Our doors swing both ways (It's SF after all ).

Hey, it looks like San Francisco is a place with high freedom! It lives up to the Amercian Spirit to the top. Thanks to most of the forum members who have responded to this thread. The heart in the reason that the long time student disassociated from the school is he started up a club of his own, and began to teach martial art some time ago. So my next question is that when it is alright for a student starts to teach? Besides he has the qualification to do so, does he need to be approved by his school operator (or his Sifu)? Legality of the matter needs also be considered. Otherwise, law suit might occur.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 04-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Old Chinese saying said,

- "There exist no banquet that will not finish".
    - "There exist no parents that will not die."

People will separate apart from each other soon or later. 100 years from today, we won't even exist on this planet. Anything that we think it's important today, it's not really that important after all.
    yes all banquets will end.

all parties will also end.

the first student or disciple will stay on with the teacher. And one day he will carry on the school name.

the last or closing door student will stay on and take care of retiring teacher both in his health and financially.

the rest of the students may leave anytime they want and move on.

more students move on and open more schools in more places

that is how your school or your teacher's teachings expand or propagate.

etc etc.

That face saving game is for small minded folk. It has always been so. The for real types let their merit stand alone. BTDT GTTS. lol

Bonus points if you learned about human nature from it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Despite the name of the Dao (it has no name) wouldn't it make sense for both to go their separate ways and acknowledge their Paths have diverged. Isn't that honesty, acknowledging reality and the skill in differentiating compulson and forced adherece to an apparent failed orthodoxy.

When to start teaching...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Hey, it looks like San Francisco is a place with high freedom! It lives up to the Amercian Spirit to the top.
    lol. Indeed. It has it's plusses and minuses for sure.

Traditionally, you're not supposed to start teaching until your master gives you permission. However, that's one tradition that has collapsed here in America. There's no legal obligation that I'm aware of - but there is an ethical one. If some one is teaching a traditional art with out the permission of his or her master, there's an intrinsic contradiction. Tradition by definition is based on the handing down of something from generation to generation, so it's hard to claim being a traditional teacher without that link.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

GeneChing, well said. It is good to follow the tradition in general.

I have some thought on the question of when it is alright for a student starts to teach in the last few days. Legally, an instructor needs to be certified by the school of them he has learnt the art. Otherwise, frauldulent charge might be pressed on him for faking. There might be other legal requirements too, depends on the subject being taught and the type of school being started. I think that is a key of the question. Today, even some traditional schools are systemically operated. They have executive committee to carry out their daily operation and planning. They hold regular examination for their students. Not only they have certification for students who have achieved master level. They might even have training course and certification for would be instructor too. Well, if a student holds such certificate, then there would be less chance for argument to occur when he and his school split up. Because there is less basis to argue about.

KC
    Hong Kong

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Legally, an instructor needs to be certified by the school of them he has learnt the art.
    There's no legal requirement to open a martial arts school in America. There's no standards for certification, no national governing agency, no regulations, nothing. I suppose there's a potential lawsuit if fraudulent claims are made, but you seldom hear of such a case.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

so true gene.

the only thing that can happen is like what Sin the and that big scandal lawsuit with bikram yoga.

Even though individuals learned these methods they seem to be owned/copywrite/,etc. and as such are not permitted to teach them without permission/franchise agreement, etc.

Hell I should of thought of that before I created 3 beginner sets that are now being taught - hmmm$$$

hi

Youknowwho...

Great post - thank you!

AQ

Now we are getting close to the bottom of the matter. So what factors should be considered in giving permission to a student to teach. Right off my head, I would regard the followings in the order of importance:

(1) Goals of teaching
    (2) Teaching skill
    (3) Ability to train students up to master level

The first one and is the most important one is related to the mentality of the would be teacher. All these factors are somewhat related to each other.

Any input?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong