Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Time Student Leaving The School

Lightbulb Long Time Student Leaving The School

A real incident that happened in Hong Kong in the last couple of years inspires me to start this thread. Suppose a student has decided to leave the school, and shut tie with it completely. How should he do so? If his leaving of the school is a fact, what should the school operator do then? In the case I mention above, the student told his leave and the detail in a local magazine. Later on, the school operator announced to the public that they dismissed the student. The action of the school operator looks familiar to me. It has a name called saving face. We find it happens sometimes in the work place. An employee resigns first. Then, his employer gives him a termination letter.

P.S. Name of person and organization involved in the case will not be provided.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 04-12-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Why does anyone have to "do" anything. There's no need for an over dramatic exit. If the student wishes to leave for whatever reason he/she should inform the head instructor of their departure and then quietly leave. The end.

Say "So long, and thanks for all the fish" ??

Seriously though, when I quit kenpo I simply gave the teacher my thanks and never showed up again.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries
    Old Chinese saying said,

- "There exist no banquet that will not finish".
    - "There exist no parents that will not die."

People will separate apart from each other soon or later. 100 years from today, we won't even exist on this planet. Anything that we think it's important today, it's not really that important after all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-13-2012 at 12:32 AM.

if your school can fight you will not have any of these problems.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

said student and school watch too many chop socky flicks. once again, the old mysticism of kung fu student teacher relationship rears it ugly lion's head for all to see.

Things are much different in HK, SteveLau

HK still maintains many notions of Confucian etiquette, and if you are there, you must abide by them. Here in the SF Bay Area, it's more mercenary. There's constants shifts within schools, even with the instructors. This can be attributed to the fact that there are so many PRC immigrants and the post-CR mentality doesn't build ties in the same way. Plus there's such diversity, so it's not uncommon to find a Muay Thai group within a kung fu school (which was the case with my school for a spell) or MMA classes in a karate dojo (which seems ubiquitous and often illegitimate). We're like ronin over here.

Actually, HK is probably the only place left where this might be an issue.... maybe ROC too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Why does anyone have to "do" anything. There's no need for an over dramatic exit. If the student wishes to leave for whatever reason he/she should inform the head instructor of their departure and then quietly leave. The end.
    This.

Who cares?

Oh, and what Gene Ching said probably applies, too.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    agreed. leave quietly and respectfully. Don't burn your bridges, unless the circumstances warrant this. Try to make it a win-win situation.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    HK still maintains many notions of Confucian etiquette, and if you are there, you must abide by them.
    you got it wrong, gene. how is making a public mess confucian? kung fu people in san fran are more confucian than hkers. theres no weird flamboyant drama. confucianism is not gossip and drama, its the lack of it.

hong kong? confucianism? it was founded by a colony of prostitutes. cmon man, cmon.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you got it wrong, gene. how is making a public mess confucian? kung fu people in san fran are more confucian than hkers. theres no weird flamboyant drama. confucianism is not gossip and drama, its the lack of it.

hong kong? confucianism? it was founded by a colony of prostitutes. cmon man, cmon.
    You made me LOL.

in early years hong kong was a barren rock with the exception of over ten thousand prostitutes near the harbours.

frankly i dont care about any new that comes out of hong kong, especially kung fu. i dont care about some lame hong ga/wing chun drama.

the only hong kong martial artist with honor is leung ting.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.

My only question is...

"Are you going to charge me for the whole month, or are you going to prorate me for the days before I quit?"
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Is this what happened with Chen Kuan Tai & Chan Sau Chung? Sad, that was a long association severed.

You misread me, bawang

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

It's Confucian constraints that would lead a school and student to react so. Here in SF, we could care less. Want to leave and go some where else? Go for it. Our doors swing both ways (It's SF after all ). Heck, for many schools, it's a revolving door. No one here would even consider making a public announcement and no journal would bother to publish it. Except maybe here on the forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart