Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sabatoge at the Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

nick scrima is a true chinese martial artist. you talk, he takes action

you are competing against his tournament, so he took you out.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I would put in a stipulation that anyone who wants to fight full contact has to provide legit bloods signed by dr., dated, etc. There is a standard format I think.

I would also hook up with an athletic commission to ensure the fights are not a circus of nonsense such as they more often than not are at TCMA tourneys. This would ad an air of professionalism and justify any costs to view. For people that do only forms, yes, they can pay. Fighters shouldn't pay. There should be a purse for them to compete for. That really brings up the quality of fights. Money!

It doesn't hurt to update the ways of going about things. Especially in this day and age where the learning is exponential.

Take what's good, leave the bad, add more good!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Blood tests have to be redone every 12 months, usually at the fighter's expense.
    Then they are fairly worthless.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    For people that do only forms, yes, they can pay.
    How would you justify this to forms competitors? They train faithfully, risk injury and travel just like the fighters. Why treat them like *****es?

Fighters shouldn't pay. There should be a purse for them to compete for. That really brings up the quality of fights. Money!
    I agree that there should be cash prizes for fights. I am considering hosting Sanshou matches with cash prizes in the future.

But why shouldn't fighters pay to enter? Bowlers and golfers pay entry fees to compete in their events. Don't sponsors cover the fees to compete in Nascar and Indie car races?
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    How would you justify this to forms competitors? They train faithfully, risk injury and travel just like the fighters. Why treat them like *****es?

I agree that there should be cash prizes for fights. I am considering hosting Sanshou matches with cash prizes in the future.

But why shouldn't fighters pay to enter? Bowlers and golfers pay entry fees to compete in their events. Don't sponsors cover the fees to compete in Nascar and Indie car races?
    Because doing forms has a phenomenally lower risk to the person than being punched and kicked by a strong and determined opponent. who will likely continue doing so until you stop resisting.

Not even in the same category of risk or exertion. Not even close.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Sabotage at the Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    First off I would like to say that our Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships was a great success and I had a lot of fun judging SC. However, there was some attempts at sabatoging our event.

A couple of weeks ago my teacher was contacted by the Ohio Athletic Commision. This group usually runs all the boxing events and normally groups would have to go thru them to hire judges / Doctors / rules and regulation etc etc. Lately this group has been now trying to take over San Shou and the Martial Arts events.

One of their representatives contacted my teacher wanting him to use them.... blah blah bla. My teacher asked how did they know about us he replied with an email sent by a fellow kung fu teacher. The Shifu is Nick Scrima and here is the email he sent.

----- Forwarded Message ----
    To: "jervinsifu@att.net" <jervinsifu@att.net>
    Sent: Wed, April 4, 2012 9:31:29 AM
    Subject: FW: San Shou full contact in Ohio

Bernie Profato
    Ohio Athletic Commission
    Office: 330-797-2556
    Fax- 330-7972559

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:41 PM
    To: Profato, Bernie
    Subject: San Shou full contact in Ohio

Is the below event supervised or sanctioned by the Ohio Athletic Commission?

04-14-2012 (2 days)
    Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships and Shaui Chiao San Shou Nationals
    All the Kung Fu Forms and Weapons Divisions you want, Internal Forms and Weapons Continuous Light Contact Sparring, Shuai Chiao, San Shou Full Contact
    For more information, contact: Sifu John Ervin
    Phone: 216.431.4991
    Event Address: 6401 St. Clair Ave
    Cleveland, OH, 44103 USA
    Online: jervinsifu@att.net -

We ended up having to shut down our San Shou divisions. Coincidentally Nick Scrima had a tournament in Pittsburg on the Same day?

My question to you is...

Do you think this was unethical approach to tournaments held on the same day?

Why did not Nick Just call and ask my teacher? (we have known each other for over 20 years).

Morally was this good kung fu?

Your thoughts

ginosifu

ginosifu , I agree with you the guy Nick should ' ve just called and talked to you about what he really wanted to do , instead of just sending you that email . Well ,
    I maybe wrong but , the guy nick maybe he ' s hiding something which is something to do with that tournament sabotage . Because , why does he send you an email , when he could ' ve just you call up ?

And you said that the guy nick had his own share of tournament involvement in pittsburg . Well , maybe he ' s just trying to kill 2 - birds with one stone . And to get recognition and credit too for the tournmant .
    There are times when mo matter how long you know eachother , they can still try to sabotage whatever you 2 were involved in or backstab you . In other words people change for the worse . He probably just wanted to show you that he can be involved with 2 - tournaments at one time .

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Are you seriously comparing the risks associated with someone doing a solo routine on a basketball court with fighting full-contact?

I agree that there should be cash prizes for fights. I am considering hosting Sansho matches with cash prizes in the future.
    Please don't. The last thing the world needs is another shoddy fight promotion. And if you give a cash a prize, you just compromised the fighter's amateur status.

And I seriously doubt you want to get into paying professionals. Even for a first fight, you are looking at $200 to show and $200 to win, which means each fight is a minimum of $600 in fighter purses.

Promoters sell tickets for people to watch the fights. If the fighters are all amateur, all you are allowed to kick in (in most states) is travel costs and maybe a free hotel room. So fighters are essentially free labor. That's why.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 04-19-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Gino

Its the old small fish is now a big fish and is eating all the small fish to make them even bigger.

now as for Combat Events, in all reality they should be sanctioned under a state commission for all the reasons stated. and yes most if not all of these commissions are corrupt to a point. $$ - cost of doing business.

mixed tournaments have always had their problems. Forms competitors generally don't fight and vice versa and the spectators are generally family members of the forms competitiors.

I really can't understand how promoters can charge fighters to fight. Some as much as $100 for one bout!!! Hell I can get my students full contact basic skills fights (boxing, kickboxing, etc) almost every weekend of the month. for FREE

Professional promoters make their $$ off the spectators, advertisers and sponsors.

success on your future events.
    (friends close but your enemies now closer)

Imma hijack this thread back to the 18th century.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...69#post1167469

this is why you should only learn from a chinese guy.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

I have been looking at this thread for a while.

If Nick Scrima did anything, he made a political move by endearing himself to the commission. In time he will evolve to being the "go to" guy and then to being the guy who oversees kung fu tournaments in his region. NOTHING will go down unless he gives the okay. Simply stated, he has upped his game. If not him, it would be someone else. Would you rather see a kung fu man overseeing things or some guy who really doesn't give a fuk?

This move was one of strength.

mickey

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Nick Scrima is based out of Orlando if I'm not mistaken.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thanks Oso,

How did I miss that?

Then he may be making a bigger move. Time will tell.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Thanks Oso,

How did I miss that?

Then he may be making a bigger move. Time will tell.

mickey
    IF this is true, and I'm not saying it is, screwing over the little guys would turn around to bite him in the ass when he moves into the region and needs our support.
    Richard A. Tolson

In one sense, it is a good thing but costs to the participant will increase, at least in 'contact events. People are seeing that this venue is garnering attention so there is money to be made, sadly though initially at the expense of the participants. I hope I am wrong on the matter.

I see visions of USAWKF fiasco though in this case, more transparency to a point!