Thread: New Book Review

Threaded View

New Book Review

Recently, I purchased the book Entering Secret Door Praying Mantis Style by Matsuda Ryuchi from Plum Publications.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese...s_trad12PM.htm

Extraneous Information
    The text of the book is wholly in Chinese.
    The book is 250 pages in length.
    The photographs are large and clear.
    The quanpu for the techniques seem for the most part to have been borrowed from the Wong Hon Fan book on Beng Bu.
    Plum Publications states that the author was a student of Liu Yun Chiao of the WuTang organization. Though I have also heard that the author was a student of Su Yuzhang of the same organization. Master Su is listed at The Mantis Cave as a student of Zhang De Kui.
    The cost of the book is $18.95. This might seem a bit expensive for a paperback, but it does contain two complete forms with many applications.

Breakdown of the book
    The book starts with beginning and intermediate techniques. Next is the common Yantai version of Beng Bu (with a few variations), followed by a Ling Beng Bu set. After the sets is a section that covers various applications of the form that go beyond the typical applications that most demonstrate. The book ends with several qinna techniques.

Recommendation
    This book would be a nice addition to the library of someone who has learned or is learning the Yantai version of Beng Bu.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-18-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!