Thread: Sifu Leo Au Yeung Wing Chun Video

Sifu Leo Au Yeung Wing Chun Video

Hi folks, here's a video Si Fu Leo Au Yeung produced as an introduction to his wing chun, covering chi sao, wooden dummy, applications, power generation & usage, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGuaTk4B38

He put a lot into this.

Thoughts? Does it bring up any points of discussion?

Its ok for beginner ,it will give you a point of reference and a little experience.

Cheers

liked it until the street scene which was straight out of la la land. Would be good to meet sifu yeung though his wing chun looks good
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

His dummy form didn't look bad, but when I got to the chi sao part I had to stop watching. Though probably very fast and sensitive, I didn't see what I consider to be good wing chun.

Too many clips of partners doing no-resistance drilling. It hurts my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_H View Post
    I didn't see what I consider to be good wing chun.
    And why is that?

In viewing the clip, I don't think I could determine the quality of his wing chun by the dummy work. The chi sao is not and never was intended to be done by resisting opponents. It is a simple drill that teaches you how to use your attack and defense techniques at close range. You share with the training partner so to speak. He applies an attack technique and you reply with a defensive technique, but you both do it as smoothly as possible. Not supposed to act like you are sparring or something. I never took chi sao that far. It is a simple drill. Drills help you develop fluidity in your techniques. Chi Sao will not serve you beyond that point. It is not the way you fight. Once you walk out the kwoon door you will never meet another Wing Chun fighter unless you go looking for one, and it might take you a long time unless you go to another Wing Chun Kwoon.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The chi sao is not and never was intended to be done by resisting opponents. It is a simple drill that teaches you how to use your attack and defense techniques at close range. You share with the training partner so to speak. He applies an attack technique and you reply with a defensive technique, but you both do it as smoothly as possible.
    I disagree. I find that chi sao without pressure is pointless. You want to pull off a technique? You gotta earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7
    And why is that?
    I don't believe his bridging would stand up to forward energy pressing his center of gravity. The angles that support that aren't there IMO.

I disagree. I find that chi sao without pressure is pointless. You want to pull off a technique? You gotta earn it.

I don't believe his bridging would stand up to forward energy pressing his center of gravity. The angles that support that aren't there IMO.
    I guess this is pointless as you will never know unless you Chi Sau with the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreamer7
    I guess this is pointless as you will never know unless you Chi Sau with the guy.
    Actually, unless they are doing differently when the camera isn't on, I'm sure. He's not being challenged in the way I'm describing, so there's no reason for him to have developed the ability to deal with it.

Actually, unless they are doing differently when the camera isn't on, I'm sure.
    Easy to say in a forum. Chi-Sau is a training exercise and I sure Sifu Leo does enough against his student. As Ip Man use to say, you react to your opponent.

I would say Sifu Leo is well developed in dealing with all sorts of pressure & resistance through stance & bridging, something he works on a lot. Although I have never done chi sao, I am a reasonably long time student of his & have seen how it is a staple of his practice in other styles. I guess a problem with vids, is that they can lead to speculation, I guess sometimes elements are inexplicable enough they need to be felt, as well as vid doesn't remotely cover his full training/teachings/understandings/abilities.