The 1740's.

It can be a matter of no surprise, after such a display of the capabilities of Broughton, that he did not want either friends or money to put him forward in the world; and it was hinted to him by the sporting world, that more eligible place was necessary than Taylor’s Booth for their accommodation, and that if Broughton would undertake the management of such a house, a subscription would be entered into to defray the expenses of the same by the nobility and the gentry. Under the cognizance of so respectable a firm, a building was soon created, denominated Broughton’s New Amphitheatre, every way convenient and fit for the purpose, in what is now called Hanway-street, Oxford street. In its interior appearance, it was somewhat similar to Astley’s Riding school, with boxes, pit and gallery, and a commodious stage for combatants, and which was opened on March 10, 1743, with the following public notice: -

The appearance of the above public notice operated like a death-blow to the feelings of George Taylor; who immediately saw the impending consequences that must inevitably result from the importance that Broughton possessed with the sporting men; and to save complete destruction, circulated, without any hesitation, an address, nearly to the following purport, all over the town:

To the Patrons and Encouragers of the Manly Art of Boxing

Whereas, Mr. Broughton, well knowing that I was to fight Mr. Field, on Tuesday next, the 13th of March, 1743, in order to injure me, has maliciously advertised to open his Amphitheatre on that day, and where several battles are then to be fought. To prevent the public from being deceived, I feel it my duty to inform them, that the principal part of the persons mentioned were never made acquainted with such circumstance, and have no intention of so doing. Mr. Broughton wishes to make it appear that he never imposed upon any of the pugilists who had been concerned with him in any transaction whatever; but his impositions shall soon be made manifest to the world. And to show Mr. Broughton that I have no animosity against him as a pugilist, or any jealousy concerning his amphitheater, I am willing to fight him, as soon as he may think proper, wherever it may please him, not regarding, as he loudly sets forth, the strength of his arm.

-George Taylor.

Broughton smiled as this bombastic attempt to reduce his character as a man, or his fame as a pugilist: it was like a drowning man catching at a straw. Taylor had already fell beneath the all-conquering arm of Broughton; and the challenge of the former was considered nothing more than a mere threat, without any serious intention of putting into practice. To clear up the imposition that Taylor alleged against Broughton, the latter made it appear that he had not received from the public one hundred pounds, and that his amphitheater had cost him upwards of 400, and acknowledged that he had appropriated a third part of the door money for his own individual emolument, which he trusted was only fair and reasonable: and that the rest had been shared among the pugilists. This account proving perfectly satisfactory to the amateurs and the public, Broughton was now firmly established as a manager; and Taylor perceiving that it would be useless to oppose so powerful an opponent, relinquished his booth, and was engaged as a principal actor at the amphitheater, where his performers so followed him, and Broughton became in possession of a strong company. Some plan appearing necessary for their future conduct.

Boxiana; or Sketches of Ancient and Modern Pugilism Pierce Egan first volume published 1813

Jack Broughton

George Taylor