Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I switched majors

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    If you're set on going into anthropology, and it is indeed interesting (it was my major at Univ of Maryland before I transferred and switched to biology) I would strongly urge you to consider going the whole way to PhD. This especially if you're going into a research field like primatology. Additionally,what is your minor? You may want to consider switching that to biology or something related to the research you wish to do. Or at least maybe a collateral. Its no longer about just observing outward behavior and such. Primatology now incorporates genetic analysis, physiology and hormonal studies. In areas of applied primatology like in a zoo, you may be required to have some background in conservation biology or some such. I don't know all your goals, but this is a thought. Of course, if you get into a MS or PhD program on whatever your BS currently holds, then this really doesn't matter as you'll then be judged based on your graduate work.

Which brings my next point. Have you interned yet? If you're looking into grad work, ESP if you're looking into graduate research, you absolutely must have some undergrad research experience to put on your CV. Its not uncommon for people to spend a year or two after undergrad just interning to gain competitive experience. As a non-traditional, with bills and crap to pay, that's probably not an option. So you need to get into zoos or whatever you can, now.

Lastly, on the PhD, if you want to have any sort of job security, you'll be in the academic world, or forensics but that's not in your area of interest. Those zoo positions are hard to come by in pretty much any science. Anthropology outside of those mainly rests in archaeology or paleontology, and you struggle to eat. Most take contract jobs surveying land for construction and such. Most I know are borderline poverty. I would consider research, esp if its primates you're interested in, and that would likely mean an academic position. And that would mean a PhD.
    I switched my major at the end of the spring 2012 semester, but the upcoming spring 2013 semester will be my return to school. I missed out on fall 2012 because it took me too long to switch to the Post-9/11 GI Bill from Vocational Rehab, an education program for injured vets. I spent a large majority of my time reading all I could about primates. I have an appointment to speak with my school’s resident primatologist to talk about minors. I’ve been thinking about it for some time. Biology is an obvious choice and psychology wouldn’t be too bad either. I will definitely ask her about the kind of minors that would make me more competitive. My end goal is a PhD, but I’m not sure if I have the steam for it (I’m 31). Only time will tell.

I haven’t done any interning yet since, as I pointed out above, this upcoming semester will be my first foray into the subject. I’ll most likely volunteer in the primate area of the local zoo this summer (I tried to volunteer last summer, but they were already full. I guess I’ll have to apply earlier.) I’m not really sure what other places I could go to in order to get research experience. This is another topic I’ll talk to my professor about.

Actually, working in academia would be my preferred area. That was my plan even before I changed my major. The only reason I mentioned the zoo is because I know of people with only B.A.s that got positions in the primate house at the local zoo. If I happened to get such a position, I would use it as a stepping stone. I will most likely choose my actual focus in grad school. I am most interested in chimpanzees and bonobos. There are a **** load of people who already study chimps, so I might focus on bonobos since they are not covered as much.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I am aware that Northwestern University has a Qatari campus and more US universities are taking advantage of the New Spring.

I am not familiar with Germany but since Belgium is Hq for SHAPE, they have excellent local military friendly universities. The better strategy for Europe is to check to see if and what percentage of credits will be accepted but you will have to also know the school you intend to transfer to since each school has their own criteria of what to accept.
    I'm just curious. I'm Canadian and will never be a soldier for any country. I will defend Canada if we are attacked. Other than that, nope. But I notice that many people get a start in the military with their education and was just curious as to how good a deal it was and how accessible it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I'm just curious. I'm Canadian and will never be a soldier for any country. I will defend Canada if we are attacked. Other than that, nope. But I notice that many people get a start in the military with their education and was just curious as to how good a deal it was and how accessible it was.
    I got my university degree before I enetered the military. I wanted to travel the world, see interesting people without bombing them so it was a great experience as there was no war. I got to SE Asia (post Vietnam). Good deal is a matter of preference and objectivity. I served based on it being my duty! Education was secondary though I did commplete my Oracle Database Administration curriculum in 2000.
    Part of my job responsibilities was administrative and since I dealt with Tuition Assistance/VA benefits, and had my first degree, I was able to see that many personnel do not take advantage of their Tuition Assistance benefits. I know that most of the guys would rather go out drinking, running around as opposed to enrollment at the local college.

I have met some guys who have gotten out (mostly Iraq and Afghanistan veterans) they have gotten so use to their adrenaline 24/7 schedule that it is hard to come down. Even IED dogs who have went through their rotation, when they hear loud noises they just freak out so I can only imagine guys who need help but cannot get it! Is that a good deal? No! But it is twice as bad because those who report these problems are seen as 'cowards" or "stragglers" so they do not report it until it is too late. A major problem is that enough are denied psychological counselling when they do not show enough of the obvious signs of 'stress' and many fall through the cracks. Is this a good deal? Depends on who you ask and their job responsibility. Didn't mean to keep on jabbering on

Yeah, I have met many deserters here. They come, seek asylum or just reside illegally. Some get asylum, many are sent back or turned back at the border.

As for PTSD, it's disgusting how little some people get help when they need it after going thru that. It's wrong. Sure, many get good treatment, but so many more do not. IMO, never fight an offensive war you can't afford and are not willing to deal with the consequences down the road. One thing Ron Paul says that I love. Bring em ALL home. Secure America. We are not world police and going overseas for greater political and economic agendas created more enemies. So what? We kill them too? I kill your family, you get mad and fight back, now you're a terrorist and deserve to die? It's sad. Don't even get me started.

I am NOT a pacifist, but what I see these days is just plain wrong. And yes, I do know it's not black and white.

Anyways. IF you were to go to war, you should take advantage of ALL the opportunities you get from that. But I'm with Micheal Moore on this one, I'm dont praising soldiers. They made their choice. If you wanna go kill and maybe die, that's on you. All this "aww poor soldiers" shit is getting way outta line. MAYBE I feel a lil sorry for the marginalized minority types who see it as the only possible future. Lord knows the military recruits more at poor colored schools than they do in rich white ones. So in that respect, I feel a lil sorry for those kids who get brainwashed into thinking its the only way out of the ghetto.

Anyways, like I said.... don't get me started.

rant over.